Poll: What Processing Software do you use primarily? And...why?

• Lightroom

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Capture One

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • On1 RAW

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Luminar

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • DxO

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Darktable

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Photoshop (Camera Raw, no cataloging)

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Affinity Photo (Internal RAW, no cataloging)

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
using On1.. it does most things I want, but still seems to have weird issues with default values on the colour profiles for my 80D for daylight/landscape. I seem to have to adjust differently too frequently, doesn't seem consistent even with template and it bugs me.. plus some gaps in noise reduction.. but othewise a decent product. I also have Affinity but rarely use due to the complexity, too steep a learning curve for me, but it has a key photoshop feature on merging many files which allows star trails and noise reduction on multiple still objects. I keep hearing about CaptureOne.. holy cow.. price 400 for the standalone perpetual.. egads. Is it really worth it?

Wow...where did you see Capture One for that much?

I see the full PRO perpetual license for $299 and right now they have a 25% off coupon code.

I just got it. I"m vasselating between On1 RAW and C1....I at least got C1 for tethering and live view of my cameras, but not sure if I'll convert fully to it for developing my RAW images or stick with On1 RAW.

I've never seen the problems you describe with On1....most of mine is from my 5D3 and currently experimenting with GFX100 new camera in the mix but so far, both applications seem to work pretty well.

Make sure you're not looking at the Capture One offering with the "styles" included that may be more $$, but IMHO those are pretty worthless as that it isn't anything you can do on your own.

If you have Fuji cameras, C1 does have the film profiles that come with the regular versions....no extra costs for those.

HTH,

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Wow...where did you see Capture One for that much?

I see the full PRO perpetual license for $299 and right now they have a 25% off coupon code.

I just got it. I"m vasselating between On1 RAW and C1....I at least got C1 for tethering and live view of my cameras, but not sure if I'll convert fully to it for developing my RAW images or stick with On1 RAW.

I've never seen the problems you describe with On1....most of mine is from my 5D3 and currently experimenting with GFX100 new camera in the mix but so far, both applications seem to work pretty well.

Make sure you're not looking at the Capture One offering with the "styles" included that may be more $$, but IMHO those are pretty worthless as that it isn't anything you can do on your own.

If you have Fuji cameras, C1 does have the film profiles that come with the regular versions....no extra costs for those.

HTH,

C
https://www.captureone.com/en/products-plans/single-user/capture-one-pro
the one without the extra styles.. those are even worse.

1594925927001.png

yeah not sure if it's something specific to 80d.. as I don't see many other complaints on it for On1.. but the colour profiles and the noise control drive me bananas. I know it can do better as lightroom 6 does a great job.. but as others have said.. if I go R5.. bye bye lightroom

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
https://www.captureone.com/en/products-plans/single-user/capture-one-pro
the one without the extra styles.. those are even worse.

View attachment 191374

yeah not sure if it's something specific to 80d.. as I don't see many other complaints on it for On1.. but the colour profiles and the noise control drive me bananas. I know it can do better as lightroom 6 does a great job.. but as others have said.. if I go R5.. bye bye lightroom

Wow..wonder why you're getting such an expensive price.

Here's what it still shows for me (even before the 25% off discount code):

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 2.04.43 PM.png

Oh wait, are you in a different country than the US?

I don't know what US $ translates into your currency....do you also have some sort of VAT added to yours maybe?

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
That's interesting.

I was surprised at the number of folks that voted they ONLY used PS for their RAW image workflow, and didn't use a DAM of any sort....

I started with LR and moved to On1...and am looking at Capture One now....mostly due to need for live view tethered shooting, but I can appreciate it's DAM functionality too.

Each system seems to have its pros/cons.....C1 has some great stuff, but seems much of it works in a pieced together fashion it seems to me starting to look at it....whereas On1 RAW and LR look like DAM's that were built from the ground up with that workflow in mind.

I use them a LOT when bringing my images....to rename, to give some key wording, and to send to my back up NAS.

When you use only PS or the like for your entire workflow....I take it you depend solely on your filesystem structure and naming to find images over time when you need to look for them, etc?

C
I absolutely hated LR's database.. corrupted a few times, but also it's nasty huge.. prefer sidecar files. I'd manually wipe out all my stuff every couple of months to keep the database small and more or less irrelevant. and yes I personally depend on my file system to find stuff.. the structure matters.

for the tethering... I though DPP from canon can do that? I know I controlled my camera via USB on and off for years. Now can do it with my phone, but it's laggy compared to USB. is it for wireless tethering or something else? curious on the workflow.. not needed by me, just curious

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Wow..wonder why you're getting such an expensive price.

Here's what it still shows for me (even before the 25% off discount code):

View attachment 191377

Oh wait, are you in a different country than the US?

I don't know what US $ translates into your currency....do you also have some sort of VAT added to yours maybe?

C

Cad.. about 25% more but still way out of line.. affinity was so much cheaper, but the workflow is not to my liking.. it's basically photoshop and while looks powerful I can't even see the image of my RAWs when I try to open.. have to guess and thats not fun.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Cad.. about 25% more but still way out of line.. affinity was so much cheaper, but the workflow is not to my liking.. it's basically photoshop and while looks powerful I can't even see the image of my RAWs when I try to open.. have to guess and thats not fun.

Strange, I see my RAW in Affinity Photo.

Are you in the "RAW Persona" tab as they put it?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Strange, I see my RAW in Affinity Photo.

Are you in the "RAW Persona" tab as they put it?
yup and on latest version. I see the file names, not the image (the embedded jpg). I can open RAWs, just don't know what i'm opening until I do so.

*edit* got off my rear end.. seems like it relies on the O/S for this and microsoft has codecs.. will try to see if I can get it via o/s

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Lightroom. I do not like to spend a lot of time editing/retouching photos, so the tools in LR are enough for me, and I prefer a non-destructive editor anyway.
I also like its database features to search and organize photos, and being able to create virtual copies, print proofs and exports in different formats from the same master without having to manually create new file copies and keep track of them. I also like its printing functions.

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
I spent the time to learn LR, so LR for the DAM and initial conversion (usually just lens profile, lights, darks, white and black points). Then it's off to PS. I used to also do capture sharpening in LR, but recently acquired Topaz Denoise AI and use Clear in auto for capture sharpening and any denoise needed (usually not a lot, shooting mostly landscape at low ISO).

When I started using LR, I maintained my basic file structure (five or six broad categories, then Year, then Date and Name of "Shoot" within each Year. Everything in one catalogue (registering around 150,000 photos - mostly crap, but whatever). Nothing is ever really slow except LR looking at various connected drives for import. My thought is that if I ever moved away from LR, I would still have my files organized. Each Date-Shoot folder contains all Raws and related Sidecars for that shoot (I cull after import, so if I don't get around to culling, all Raws are somewhere I can find and go back to later for culling). Going to and from PS (or various other software) results in a Tiff (or in some cases a PSD? - I think ON1) which also resides in the same Date-Shoot folder. Fully processed photos (usually Tiffs) get a Red Color Badge. Ones not yet finished are Yellow. Photos I select for processing during a second pass are Green (yah, I keep way too much but you never know when one of those old raws may become a great photo...). If I create a JPEG for sharing on the web (Flickr, I'm thinking about a website, Camera Club website or sharing on our weekly Zoom meetings) it gets Blue and goes into a subfolder called "Target - View." JPEGS for printing are also Blue and go into a subfolder called "Target - Print." I use the stars to say how much I like a photo. I use the LR Collections features fairly extensively. I use Smart Collections for all my color Badges and Stars. And, I have a bunch of Collections for things like photos I have printed for our camera club annual Exhibit and Sale. I don't know if On1 or Luminar can do collections in the same manner as LR.

I used to use On1 for its Dynamic Contrast and color adjustment. But, when they added Texture to LR and I learned to adjust colors in PS, On1 became unnecessary (I generally apply Texture in PS after all other processing using the ACR filter on a separate combo layer with masking so it gets applied only where needed/wanted).

I bought Luminar 4 strictly for sky replacement. Works great in most situations where the sky is just too blah. It only took them about three months to actually get Luminar 4 to run on my vanilla Win10 Dell as a standalone, did work as a plug in. Go figure.

I recently splurged and bought up both Topaz suites. I shot JPEGS until mid-2011, first on a G-1 (3 MP or so), then the original digital Rebel, a 30D and an original 5D. The Topaz JPEG-to-Raw software does a great job increasing the edibility of these old files. Then, I sharpen up with AI Clear in DeNoise AI and I have a usable photo. Lots of fun resurrecting some of those old photos lately. Also fun playing with the presets in Studio 2.

As you can tell, I am strictly an amateur. But, very enthusiastic (I saw a thread recently where there was an extensive debate on what constituted an enthusiast. Again, go figure). I think a lot of which processing software you use is what you get comfortable using. So much time and brain damage learning the software. I would rather pay the Adobe monthly blood money than figure out whether other software would do what I want and spend the time learning the other software.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
<snip>

As you can tell, I am strictly an amateur. But, very enthusiastic (I saw a thread recently where there was an extensive debate on what constituted an enthusiast. Again, go figure). I think a lot of which processing software you use is what you get comfortable using. So much time and brain damage learning the software. I would rather pay the Adobe monthly blood money than figure out whether other software would do what I want and spend the time learning the other software.

Well, I can definitely understand wanting to shoot and edit more than learn the software itself...

But then again, once you learn the concepts one of them, and I too started with LR....once you know one, you pretty much can know them all.
They may have some tweaks, diff keyboard shortcuts (but usually can be customized as you like)...but in general they have the same controls and they mostly do the same things.

With that in mind, especially with the pandemic on and not as much outside activity (shooting curtailed maybe?)....it might be a good time to explore options away from the Adobe "blood money" rental payments and see what's out there.

On1 RAW has a 30 day free trial I believe and the same goes for Affinity Photo, which was just recently updated....

Something to ponder.

Have a great day and keep shooting!!

C

Upvote 0