Camera body lens mount help please.

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Folks.
I'm looking at doing a bit of equipment hackery, I am looking to remove the lens mount ring from an old EOS 1000Fn, (Or possibly a spares or repairs D body with chromed mount) I’m wondering does removing the four or five screws on the face of the ring set it free or do I have to completely dismantle the body around it too?
I can of course find this out the hard way, but learning by asking is ok too isn’t it? ‍♂️
Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Cheers, Graham.

Mar 25, 2011
I've found them to be very hard to remove, even with the proper JIS screwdriver. I did not need to take the camera apart. I found out that the one I removed was different from where I wanted to move it, but its been a couple of years and I do not remember the issue. I had one US made JIS screwdriver tip snap off from the torque I was applying. I do not have any stronger ones.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've found them to be very hard to remove, even with the proper JIS screwdriver. I did not need to take the camera apart. I found out that the one I removed was different from where I wanted to move it, but its been a couple of years and I do not remember the issue. I had one US made JIS screwdriver tip snap off from the torque I was applying. I do not have any stronger ones.

Same here, snapped multiple tiny philips screwdrivers before I figured out that a Japanese company would use JIS. Snapped 2 of those before I got a better quality JIS bit set. When using those I stripped out the screw and gave up. In the end the eyelash looking thing I wanted to remove from the lens moved out of the center.
I now have an MP-E65 that will generate a huge bill if it gets sent in for servicing. I've owned it for almost 15 years now, if it breaks I'll just buy a new one.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I’m looking at making the body mount fit an extender with a different mount so that I can fit an EF lens to a non EF device, I’m going to have to turn the O/D of the mount and elongate the screw holes to pick up on the existing holes in the extender, I don’t want to harm the device I’m modifying by drilling extra holes. I realise I won’t have a lock on the lens, but for what I want it shouldn’t matter.
I’m going to take a guess that thread adhesive has been used from what you and koenkooi have said, as it will be a dead donor I will use the steam trick to loosen the adhesive on the screws.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I'm not sure which brand of JIS screwdrivers is best. I have a complete set of Moody US made JIS drivers. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty, but when I sent them a email, they never replied.

I had more than one, so I just used the second one and never bothered after they did not reply. Next time, it will be a different brand.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Mt Spokane.
I‘ll try what I have, if I break one I’ll get a different one! I’m in the UK so who knows where it will come from!

Cheers, Graham.

I'm not sure which brand of JIS screwdrivers is best. I have a complete set of Moody US made JIS drivers. They supposedly have a lifetime warranty, but when I sent them a email, they never replied.

I had more than one, so I just used the second one and never bothered after they did not reply. Next time, it will be a different brand.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have a minolta auto bellows but not the slide duplicator attachment. I've adapted it to EF at the camera end, but I just use Minolta lenses. Adapting others requires some hacking. I use my Epson V700 for slides, I don't have any that are particularly valuable, they were taken in the 1960's with my Argus C3 and later my Canon FT-QL.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
I made the camera end of mine EOS compatible, I bought an EOS to FD optic free lens conversion ring!

I have a minolta auto bellows but not the slide duplicator attachment. I've adapted it to EF at the camera end, but I just use Minolta lenses. Adapting others requires some hacking. I use my Epson V700 for slides, I don't have any that are particularly valuable, they were taken in the 1960's with my Argus C3 and later my Canon FT-QL.

Upvote 0