image.canon is up and running again

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
After a rough weekend with image.canon, Canon has relaunched the service with the following statement.
Thank you for using image.canon.
On July 30, 2020, we identified an issue involving the 10GB long-term storage on image.canon. In order to conduct further investigation, we temporarily suspended both the mobile application and web browser service of image.canon. After the investigation, we identified that some of the photo and video image files saved in the 10GB long-term storage prior to June 16, 2020 9:00am (JST) were lost. We confirmed that the still image thumbnails of the affected files were not affected, and there was no leak of image data.
After having resolved the issue that resulted in the loss of the photo and video image files, we resumed the image.canon service as of August 4, 2020.
Currently, the still image thumbnails of these lost image files can be viewed but not downloaded or transferred. If a user tries to download or transfer a still...

Continue reading...

To those who are going to rage because of lost data I get it and feel for you but If this was your only means of storing photos shame on you.

Cloud storage is a good way to back up files. In the 10 years I’ve been using it I’ve never lost a single file. Although, that’s with Google drive. Meanwhile, I’ve lost a couple hard drives over that period. Just don’t use image.canon it looks like.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Cloud storage is a good way to back up files. In the 10 years I’ve been using it I’ve never lost a single file. Although, that’s with Google drive. Meanwhile, I’ve lost a couple hard drives over that period. Just don’t use image.canon it looks like.
Have it immediately transfer over to your google drive.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Cloud storage is a good way to back up files... ...Just don’t use image.canon it looks like.
You’re right, don’t use image.canon for file backup, because image.canon is not a file backup utility. It’s a temporary storage service for photos from certain Canon cameras, generally limited to 30 days, after which they are automatically deleted from Canon’s server(s). Within that 30 days one is expected to move their photos to their standard storage scheme.

One’s photos remain on the camera cards for disposition, as always. image.canon can also copy photos to Google Drive, Google Photos, and Lightroom. In the latter case, they are handled like any other photos imported into a mobile version of Lightroom: a reduced-resolution Smart Preview goes to the Adobe cloud, while the full-resolution original is sent to Lightroom Classic. The image.canon iOS app seems to work OK in my limited experience, but it needs a visual sprucing up, and iPad has only the iOS (small-screen, stretchable) version.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
You’re right, don’t use image.canon for file backup, because image.canon is not a file backup utility. It’s a temporary storage service for photos from certain Canon cameras, generally limited to 30 days, after which they are automatically deleted from Canon’s server(s). Within that 30 days one is expected to move their photos to their standard storage scheme.

This fault occurred with the 10GB long-term storage, not the temporary transitional storage.

So people who had followed the instructions to move their photos over were the ones stung.

"Enjoy 10GB of long term storage for your most important media.". Except when Canon screw up.

And to pre-empt; no it's not "free". The cost is baked into the retail price of new cameras and printers whether I want it or not.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
So people who had followed the instructions to move their photos over were the ones stung.
It would be interesting to know how many of those who lost their photos from the Canon servers had no local copy. Nowhere did the instructions say “...and don’t upload your photos from your card to your computer.” People who put all of their digital eggs in one basket have always been at risk for data loss.

And to pre-empt; no it's not "free". The cost is baked into the retail price of new cameras and printers whether I want it or not.
Wow. If you’re a Canon user and not a troll, and the hidden cost of this service is killing you financially, you need to switch to another camera brand, one that has no “free” services or unpaid tech support, preferably one that has no Internet presence or advertising overhead. Executives travel by bus when possible. No fancy headquarters buildings, no HVAC in facilities, no dining facilities, ships product in plain boxes protected by wadded-up recycled newspaper... You could easily save $3 on a $4000 camera with such a brand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Main page, perhaps. The community page is up and image.canon is up and working.
ive just been trying to go to the page to update my firmware and saw its down for maintenance. you can't even go to their store. it even says hey instead go look at information on our R series but then even that link is down lol

Upvote 0
I believe that you are going to have to wait until Canon sorts out the problems of ransomware. Maze has hacked and encrypted most of their files and they may or may not get this data back. I would not upload to the Canon Image site until they have sorted this mess out. That is assuming you can upload in the first place. Also until they get a secured website with "HTTPS" instead of "HTTP," you can't put a lot of confidence in the website.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else struggling to actually upload images to image.canon?

I have an R5 and every time it says it’s uploading then says Err 127.
I’ve tried resetting the camera, setting up another account, nothing seems to work.

Do you already found a solution for this Err 127? I'm having the same problems. I can send photos from my EOS R but not from my EOS R5. I spoke to different people @Canon but so far they can't solve it.

Upvote 0