Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 support added to Adobe software

skp

5DIV, 7DII, 60D
CR Pro
Sep 20, 2014
Warning: I tried to install this update last night at the same time (i didn't realize it at the time) Windows was pre-loading the feature update package for Windows 10 version 2004 in the background. Everything ground to a halt, the adobe update failed, my computer became basically unusable, and I had to wipe Adobe CC from my computer. (I will reinstall after the windows update is done)

Upvote 0
Picked my R5 up from the shop late this afternoon and just got in from it's first use to see this update. Couldn't have timed it better. I was just laughing all the way around the park in disbelief at the AF. Birds fighting/chasing in the water, flying around. The camera just tracked it all by eye and didn't skip a beat. I'm still in shock o_O.

I'm seeing more and more comments like this from people who are using it for stills and not video, can't wait to get my hands on one :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Thank you. I'm in love with this camera; it's perfect for me. What a shame Canon :sneaky:.

There are rumors it gets hot but who the heck cares with this type of stills performance?

EDIT: I had it in my hand when I noticed a fast flying bird doing figure eights and circles around a pond I was at during a wine tasting event. I pointed the R5 at it and smashed down the shutter as it zoomed about 30 feet in front of me and 20 feet off the surface of the pond. I didn't think anything hit b/c of how fast the bird was moving. To my surprise that bird was in focus in every single frame.

This camera makes it easy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm seeing more and more comments like this from people who are using it for stills and not video, can't wait to get my hands on one :)

You will not be disappointed stills-wise. The keeper shots on my R for BiF are basically what my non-keepers look like on my R5 now and you can push the files so much harder in post if necessary. The guys from DP Review said it perfectly "I don't feel under-gunned in the stills department". I actually feel spoiled.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
There are rumors it gets hot but who the heck cares with this type of stills performance?

EDIT: I had it in my hand when I noticed a fast flying bird doing figure eights and circles around a pond I was at during a wine tasting event. I pointed the R5 at it and smashed down the shutter as it zoomed about 30 feet in front of me and 20 feet off the surface of the pond. I didn't think anything hit b/c of how fast the bird was moving. To my surprise that bird was in focus in every single frame.

This camera makes it easy.

The same thing for me. Ducks crash landing and spraying water, swans beating their wings, surprise last moment erratic birds flying are all no problem. I'd forgive the camera if it couldn't do it at 2.8, but amazingly the camera laughs it's way through without issue. With the R; just getting in focus on my running dogs was a constant battle, the AF dragged lazily behind and always seemed short of the mark. I've shot dogs today head on sprinting at 2.8 with the R5 and it was like watching a 12fps 8k movie when I scrolled through the pictures in the EVF; eyes all tack sharp throughout.

Last edited:
  • Love
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The same thing for me. Ducks crash landing and spraying water, swans beating their wings, surprise last moment erratic birds flying are all no problem. I'd forgive the camera if it couldn't do it at 2.8, but amazingly the camera laughs it's way through without issue. With the R; just getting in focus on my running dogs was a constant battle, the AF dragged lazily behind and always seemed short of the mark. I've shot dogs today head on sprinting at 2.8 with the R5 and it was like watching a 12fps 8k movie when I scrolled through the pictures in the EVF; eyes all tack sharp throughout.
@Mike the cat these are the stories that will silence the people saying the Camera is a dud. I have never been so excited for others to get gear as I am with the R5.

The EOS R and RP owners are going to think they died and have gone to photography heaven. The R5 leaves the EOS R for dead...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
@Mike the cat these are the stories that will silence the people saying the Camera is a dud. I have never been so excited for others to get gear as I am with the R5.

The EOS R and RP owners are going to think they died and have gone to photography heaven. The R5 leaves the EOS R for dead...

This makes me wonder why am bothering with an RP. (I ordered an RP + 24-105 f/4 L refurb set mid July, figuring I'd at least have me one native R lens when my R5 came in, and the price was so cheap I was effectively getting an RP for $250. Now I'm wondering if the RP is even going to be worth $250 to me.)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
This makes me wonder why am bothering with an RP. (I ordered an RP + 24-105 f/4 L refurb set mid July, figuring I'd at least have me one native R lens when my R5 came in, and the price was so cheap I was effectively getting an RP for $250. Now I'm wondering if the RP is even going to be worth $250 to me.)
@SteveC My wife loves her RP because it was the Camera that finally clicked for her and photography. That RP and the RF 35 has taken some truly amazing photos.

LRCR-3.jpg
LRCR-9.jpg
LRCR-10.jpg
LRCR-7.jpg
Ok that was the 100-400 and I may have cooked it a bit

She is super excited for her R6 but told me that her RP and the red grip we added will not be going anywhere. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Nice to load up Lightroom and see that I can import and publish .CR3 files without having to convert them!View attachment 192240
Did you have to reduce the size of the file to be able to post this as I've tried and all mine were rejected as the files being too big?

Upvote 0
So glad to finally be able to import my cr3's directly. Hoping for DxO Photolab support soon too.

Now if Premiere could just edit the R5's h.265 files without choking we'd really be able to make some stuff.
I believe the issue is that no current graphics cards or CPU's can natively encode h.265 4:2:2 10 Bit files. Only h.265 4:2:0 is suported at the moment.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
I believe the issue is that no current graphics cards or CPU's can natively encode h.265 4:2:2 10 Bit files. Only h.265 4:2:0 is suported at the moment.

This is true. But that will not change until there's new hardware which could take years. I think it was a poor choice on Canon's side to use a codec that even high end PC's can't handle. I have a Threadripper 3970X ($2k for the cpu alone) and it can manage to decode a single r5 stream in Premiere, but once I layer two clips over each other the party's over.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I understand that a lot of work was required to implement general CR3 support given the lack of documentation from Canon.

But what exactly needed to be done to 'support' a new camera model? It's the same file format. What changes?

Canon, not be helpful!! :ROFLMAO: I like the product, but company policy is %^$$#@& !! They are their own worst enemy!

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I'm kind of in this odd boat where all I have between 35 mm and 100mm on the EF mount is three rather pedestrian primes (40mm pancake, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, no Ls). Bringing my 100-400 IIL to the RF party (with an adapter) as well as the 15-35 that I decided to go ahead and buy now, means I have no midrange zoom on the R5. I did order a 25-105 refurb (along with an RP, refurb) but that's on backorder for who knows how long.

I suppose I COULD grab that Tamron 18-200 APSC lens and use IT and accept the fact that it will take circular photos (the R5 doesn't recognize the tammies as APS-C so it doesn't go into crop mode automatically, and I'm probably too forgetful to switch back and forth from it myself).

I would sit tight, I would expect a flurry of new lenses in the near future. The R5 + 6 will peak third party makers interest
no doubt.

Depending on your needs, I would disagree that the 40 and 85 are pedestrian though.
I would agree the 50 1.4 is a hit and miss and it is shocking that Canon never updated that lens. I have the 50 1.8 STM and it is far superior to the 50 1.4 for a fraction of the cost.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Here's a dumb question. Can anyone tell me a way to determine which attached lens to the R5 will make the 4k UHD 60 crop mode available. I searched all the manual. Would be nice to test or use that 4k UHD 60 crop however I don't have a clue which attached EF or RF lens will make that mode available. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere? The manual says on page 18, that the Basic Assumption for Operational instructions are based on the RF24-105mm F4. I'm missing something.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Here's a dumb question. Can anyone tell me a way to determine which attached lens to the R5 will make the 4k UHD 60 crop mode available. I searched all the manual. Would be nice to test or use that 4k UHD 60 crop however I don't have a clue which attached EF or RF lens will make that mode available. Is there a cheat sheet somewhere? The manual says on page 18, that the Basic Assumption for Operational instructions are based on the RF24-105mm F4. I'm missing something.

It's not based on the lens for EF and RF, you just need to enable it in the menu, from page 320 of the manual:
Schermafbeelding 2020-08-20 om 17.22.25.png

Upvote 0