Breakthrough Photography announces the all-new EF to RF filter adapter

As has been stated many times previously, the electrical contacts of the EF-RF adapters are straight pass through. There are no electrical components involved. Autofocus performance will be the same as with the Canon adapters.

On my R6 the adapter shows a firmware version, so I kind of doubt it's just a passthrough. Although mine is a control ring version so maybe that's the difference.

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Two reasons two buy this, or at least two features it has that the Canon one doesn't, is the tripod mount and the price.

With how light the RF cameras are, it probably makes a lot of sense to have the tripod mount a little further up than at the body itself to help with balance.

The 10-24 and the wider Tilt-shift lenses in particular are pretty heavy, and they didn't come with a tripod collar like the telephoto zooms do.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
If Breakthrough Photography can work with the RF autofocus, then I don't what's holding back Sigma & Tamron from releasing RF-mount lenses. Samyang/Rokinon already have two RF-mount AF lenses.

Anyways, I doubt the AF would be as good as the Canon adapter.
The adaptor just passes the signal from the lens thru, it does not autofocus a lens,

That's a huge difference from building a lens that has to interact with a R camera and autofocus using the proprietary and likely patented signals. If RF signaling needs a encryption decoder , laws make it illegal to break the encrypted code. It seems unlikely that its encrypted because we'd be seeing lots of lawsuits. We know that EF works when passed to the appropriate contacts. There is something on or in the lens electronics that puts the Camera in RF signaling mode.

We saw a couple of patents for that 3 years ago, it seemed pretty simple like a signal line from the lens going high or a switch on the camera body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That doesn’t explain why the basic and control ring adapters don’t have the glass.
Those two adapters are not designed to take a glass filter, so only air is in the light path. Once glass is in the light path, it has a different refraction index from air, and changes the back focus distance. So the adapter overall lengths are slightly different.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
If Breakthrough Photography can work with the RF autofocus, then I don't what's holding back Sigma & Tamron from releasing RF-mount lenses. Samyang/Rokinon already have two RF-mount AF lenses.

Anyways, I doubt the AF would be as good as the Canon adapter.

passing the signal along is pretty straight forward, how to program the signals to do what you want is a whole lot more complex, especially if you have to reverse engineer the code, its a lot of guesswork.

Upvote 0
That doesn’t explain why the basic and control ring adapters don’t have the glass.
I create a simple diagram to illustrate this. The drop-in filter adapter is actually longer than the non-drop in filter adapter (basic and control ring adapters) to compensate the change of back focus due to the drop-in filter. If you use a drop-in filter without any filter, you might not be able to focus to certain distance... same reason why when you put an extension tube, you can't focus to infinity.

Attachments

• DropInFilterAdapter.png
    DropInFilterAdapter.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I create a simple diagram to illustrate this. The drop-in filter adapter is actually longer than the non-drop in filter adapter (basic and control ring adapters) to compensate the change of back focus due to the drop-in filter. If you use a drop-in filter without any filter, you might not be able to focus to certain distance... same reason why when you put an extension tube, you can't focus to infinity.

Thanks! I thought all the ef-rf adapters are same length.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
interesting, youtubing suggested a review of ND filters, including Breakthrough and it caught my eye. While it didn't include the drop in adapter filters, it did show the differences between their X2 and X4 line (their website could use some improvements) and looks like their X4 line is pretty serious and good... which they also produce for the adapter.. so that's pretty good, but also pretty expensive ..

anyways neat video if any are interested

Upvote 0

Robbie_B

CR Pro
Apr 11, 2020
I was looking for a Canon control ring adapter but they are rarer than hens teeth at the moment. However the Amazon man has just delivered a Viltrox EF-R2 control ring adapter and after an hours playing with it, all appears to be fine set to ISO for now. At £89 from Amazon UK and probably cheaper on eBay definitely worth a punt for the amateur user.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
So...I'm assuming the clear filter is to close up the adapter for weather/dust sealing when you don't need a polarizing or ND filter. Is there any other use for it? Why do they use clear glass instead of just an empty frame? Or is the glass in the filter part of the weather sealing?

The standard and control ring adapters don't have glass, though, so...what's the deal?

I'd be tempted to remove the glass from the clear filter so I don't have anything that could reduce image quality from the lens...
The glass has likely been computed as part of the lens optics, at least on the part of Canon. Thickness, type of glass, coating, etc.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
A question that always has to be asked about third party adapters, because it has been a problem, is build quality and quality control. Digiloyd has done testing and found that a number of third party adapters for various bodies and lenses are not parallel across the sensor, and some are off in length. It only has to be by a tiny extent to cause a oroblem with today’s high rez sensors. I’d trust Canon’s, but not sure about these.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Two reasons two buy this, or at least two features it has that the Canon one doesn't, is the tripod mount and the price.

With how light the RF cameras are, it probably makes a lot of sense to have the tripod mount a little further up than at the body itself to help with balance.

The 10-24 and the wider Tilt-shift lenses in particular are pretty heavy, and they didn't come with a tripod collar like the telephoto zooms do.
The tripod adapter could be useful with lenses that don’t have one. But I wish people would stop think8ng about bodice for everything. Canon’s are not expensive. Until we see some useful, critical testing on these, I’d tend to be wary. Cheap is often telling us something about that.

Upvote 0