B&H Holiday Shipping...One R5's Odyssey

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So do all who have the R5 feel like they made the right choice over the lesser R6?

On the whole, yes. I would likely have preferred the R6 controls over the R5 (no need whatsoever for the LCD on the top), and I'd just as soon have had dual SD slots instead of a CFE slot I will probably never use. That's "baggage" of the video modes I don't need. But I'm happy to have the "larger" (higher res, not physical size) sensor. An R5.5 with a 30-35 MP sensor and otherwise like the R6 would have been the absolute sweet spot for me; lacking that option I went with overkill rather than underkill, and I believe it was the right choice, for me. I know people who bought the R6 and I'm certainly not going to diss that camera, I respect it and it can certainly be the right tool for many people.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
B&H now has me at the top of the list for the "next shipment" of R5's, but no ETA.

By the way, I asked about the "security hold" FedEx claimed prevented them from returning an item to B&H during a holiday. The rep I spoke with said that was very, very strange, that she had never heard of the policy, that tons of stuff gets shipped back during holidays and sits in a secure area.

Why would a company set up something that would have a refused item being returned over and over to the customer? That makes zero sense and just puts the item through more wear and tear. I wonder if FedEx was just plain makin' it up? :confused:

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Looks like that R5's sad little odyssey is finally bringing it back to New Jersey. I just hope it doesn't end up being my replacement too!
The latter statement is a very good point, one that I hope doesn't come to pass but how would you know? I just hope you get a reasonably quick replacement on your R5 from B&H, so you can begin to enjoy your long anticipated new body. I have been surprised for awhile now, just how little protection on line merchants provide for their expensive parcel contents. In spite of the ongoing return hassle, you made a wise decision to refuse a damaged parcel. Accepting and opening same may have showed what looked like a perfectly good camera but it could possibly have experienced internal damage, not immediately evident until you started using it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
B&H now has me at the top of the list for the "next shipment" of R5's, but no ETA.

By the way, I asked about the "security hold" FedEx claimed prevented them from returning an item to B&H during a holiday. The rep I spoke with said that was very, very strange, that she had never heard of the policy, that tons of stuff gets shipped back during holidays and sits in a secure area.

Why would a company set up something that would have a refused item being returned over and over to the customer? That makes zero sense and just puts the item through more wear and tear. I wonder if FedEx was just plain makin' it up? :confused:
Part of the problem with all carriers is that increased on line product sales is burying them with unprecedented high parcel volumes that current employee levels are not sufficiently staffed to handle. So, until and if said volumes become more sustainable, they are forced to hire temporary workers to augment their over stressed workforce. In the last two weeks we have had two seperate FedX deliveries, where tracking improperly showed they were delivered, when in fact they didn't get delivered until two days later. The only reason we knew was making a ph call to FedX to report non delivery of item that tracking showed as being delivered. In both instances, Rep apologized and stated item(s) in question should be delivered in the next day, or so. When queried, Rep could not explain how a supposedly delivered item was still in their posession awaiting delivery. Rather frustrating. I, also talked with my letter carrier, who informed me that due to ongoing Covid 19 issues, USPS is NOT currently requiring their carriers to to get signature from customer, when required but are signing off on parcel signature themselves, then delivering them. As long as you don't open the delivered parcel, you can still refuse it. This procedure seems like an accident waiting to happen but appears to be a sign of the times. I do hope you enjoy your new R5 and look forward to your upcoming CR post of what an amazing camera it is. Good luck with it.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've had damaged products from Canon Direct, they sat in the warehouse for months and the credit was never issued, it took lots of calls to get it straightened out.

I am currently suffering thru a 50 minute predicted wait for issues with two Canon Direct Refurb orders that were charged but never shipped.

• Wow
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've had damaged products from Canon Direct, they sat in the warehouse for months and the credit was never issued, it took lots of calls to get it straightened out.

I am currently suffering thru a 50 minute predicted wait for issues with two Canon Direct Refurb orders that were charged but never shipped.

This latter does not surprise me at all.

When I ordered my RP+24-105L kit, it was out of stock, and eventually the status shifted to "processing." After two weeks of that I called to ask just what that meant (since apparently it didn't mean putting it in a box and shipping it), and it turned out it was stuck in the software somehow, ready to go out the door but it was never being queued to go out.

So when you get through, I suspect the same thing will have turned out to be the case for you.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
In my neighborhood, FEDx leaves all residential delivery packages on your porch. Signature required doesn’t matter as they will sign for you. .............................

Recent R5 delivery from Canon with "signature required" via FedEx did not even get the doorbell ring. The website and app says I signed. Clearly, I did not. At least they put it on the porch. I new it arrived because my doorbell camera told me someone was there. Sometimes deliveries only get to the front walk on the ground! And, gauging on he experience of others, I looked at the box for damage VERY carefully before opening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0