DXO announces Photolab 4, save 30% on new purchases and upgrades

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DxO PhotoLab 4: revolutionary in every respect
Today, DxO, one of the most innovative companies in the field of photography and image editing, is unveiling DxO PhotoLab 4, a major update of its multiple award-winning photo-editing software. This latest version features DxO DeepPRIME, a revolutionary demosaicing and denoising technology based on artificial intelligence and trained with deep learning. DxO PhotoLab 4 has also added a new dynamic interface system called DxO Smart Workspace, enriched its photo library with a batch renaming feature, and created an even simpler workflow by adding a new and exclusive editing history tool called DxO Advanced History and the ability to selectively copy and paste specific settings. Lastly, the new DxO Instant Watermarking feature lets users sign their photos by adding a watermark directly to the image.
Get DXO PhotoLab 4 // Free One Month Trial of DXO PhotoLab...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/dxo-announces-photolab-4-save-30-on-new-purchases-and-upgrades/]Continue reading...

Last edited:

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I have DXO PhotoLab 3 (I started with Optics Pro and have updated repeatedly already), and I just checked today if it has an update for R5 support, and it DOES NOT!

So, when are are they going to update my PhotoLab 3 version for Canon R5 and RF lens support? ARE THEY?
If not, and they expect for me to pay for yet ANOTHER version update just to get a R5 update which they should be sending me now, I'm going to be *pissed*!

So, to all of you interested in this program, I will tell you 2 things:
1) It is a beautiful program - easy to work with, great for noise reduction and some tweaking of images.
2) It is not really any different money-wise from Adobe, which wants your money every month. DXO will say they don't force you to do that but then they do force you to frequently pay for new versions which have the updates that should be provided in their existing versions, so you end up paying a lot on an ongoing basis anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have DXO PhotoLab 3 (I started with Optics Pro and have updated repeatedly already), and I just checked today if it has an update for R5 support, and it DOES NOT!

So, when are are they going to update my PhotoLab 3 version for Canon R5 and RF lens support? ARE THEY?
If not, and they expect for me to pay for yet ANOTHER version update just to get a R5 update which they should be sending me now, I'm going to be *pissed*!

1) It is a beautiful program - easy to work with, great for noise reduction and some tweaking of images.
2) It is not really any different money-wise from Adobe, which wants your money every month. DXO will say they don't force you to do that but then they do force you to frequently pay for new versions which have the updates that should be provided in their existing versions, so you end up paying a lot on an ongoing basis anyway.

Same here. Probably a play on words... Will be supported in October = Buy/Upgrade to new version. They did the same thing to me when I added a Canon 1D mk4. I had to upgrade from standard to Elite. Very few RF lenses supported. NO RF100-500L support at this time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Same here. Probably a play on words... Will be supported in October = Buy/Upgrade to new version. They did the same thing to me when I added a Canon 1D mk4. I had to upgrade from standard to Elite. Very few RF lenses supported. NO RF100-500L support at this time.
Yeah, I think Adobe ruined it for us with the subscription thing. At least with the permanent license stuff what ou have will work forever with its current feature set. As far as I understand it, if you stop paying Adobe, you can't even open the program, no matter how many thousands you have spent over the years.

I'd still mostly rather pay to have something, knowing I may have to pay to upgrade versions in the future if I get new gear. But for some I could see how the subscription model is better. Maybe akin to lease vs/ buy on a car - normally its a great deal for the car company, and occasionally its a good deal for the driver.

-Brian

Upvote 0
  • Wow
Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Unstable. It crashed while adding files. Hit customize and it totally disappeared (fatal app crash). Canon R5. Does not support DRAW (Dual Pixel Raw) or HIF files. So far, not able to use. No RF 100-500L module. Very limited RF lens modules.
Have you raised s support ticket with them?
I've always found their support responsive.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Agree, unfortunately if you don’t PAY for the upgrade you have no R5 support.......

Wow.
The upgrade cost looks pretty reasonable to me given the additional functionality, very interested in the new prime stuff.
That's assuming the install isn't a pup like gstviper seems to have found!

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

You are exactly right. I’m disappointed in their business model to say the least. Existing, loyal customers should come first IMO.

DxO upgrade are averaging $70 a year (upgraded last year for $69 despite the ad saying $49) and here we go again. Yes, it’s optional, but not really (Depending on your needs).

I’m sitting on the latest version which still has no R5/R6 support and they have the balls to trot out this ‘upgrade’ that includes R5/R6 support..

I love the program but their priorities are all f’ed in my opinion.

Yes I’ll buy it. No, I won’t like it. I’ll also start looking at other alternatives or go off to the black market again.

DxO stock has dropped for me - no two ways about it.

Upvote 0
The upgrade cost looks pretty reasonable to me given the additional functionality, very interested in the new prime stuff.
That's assuming the install isn't a pup like gstviper seems to have found!
It may be specific to the CANON R5 modules. Anyway, the first crash generated crash information that was sent to DxO via their crash report within the program. The second crash instantly killed the app so no crash reporting was sent.

• Wow
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Canon R5 RAW and CRAW (Compressed RAW) support. NO DRAW (Dual Pixel RAW).
Well, R5 Raw and CRaw are the only Canon input things I would need it to support, other than supporting the new RF lenses. I don't have any interest or use for Dual Pixel Raw.

I don't need their support for inputting HEIC (or whatever it's called) files as I only shoot raw or compressed raw. BUT I would want support for them OUTPUTTING HEIC format files so I don't have to choose between outputting .jpg (poor quality) or .tif (way too bloated memory-wise). Heic would have been ideal as a way to pass files on to other programs, such as PTGuiPro or AffinityPro or to do printing of them. I've asked them over & over to support output to .heic but to no avail - too bad.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
They have to have a continuing income to keep the program updated. Adobe does it by ransomeware, and you have to pay to keep on just using. DxO upgrades at the end of October each year. If you haven't upgraded your camera to a brand new model, you don't have to buy the upgraded software.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
You are exactly right. I’m disappointed in their business model to say the least. Existing, loyal customers should come first IMO.

DxO upgrade are averaging $70 a year (upgraded last year for $69 despite the ad saying $49) and here we go again. Yes, it’s optional, but not really (Depending on your needs).

I’m sitting on the latest version which still has no R5/R6 support and they have the balls to trot out this ‘upgrade’ that includes R5/R6 support..

I love the program but their priorities are all f’ed in my opinion.

Yes I’ll buy it. No, I won’t like it. I’ll also start looking at other alternatives or go off to the black market again.

DxO stock has dropped for me - no two ways about it.
I agree, Bert63! I'll also be forced to pay $70 *yet again* to upgrade to support R5 raw & CRaw. After all, my new R5 and RF lenses cost just a "wee-bit" :oops: more than that! :ROFLMAO::cry:

I have been happy enough using PTGui (after using DXO) to do huge panoramas. And to view huge panos (sometimes a giga-pixel or more) I use AffinityPhoto (which is GREAT with huge files). Maybe one day AffinityPhoto will get good enough (and I'll get good enough with it) to stop using DXO entirely. But until that day comes, it looks like I'll wait to see when enough people say PhotoLab4 is stable enough to be worth upgrading to and I'll just "bite my tongue" and upgrade again.

Upvote 0