Capture One launches Capture One 21

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
COPENHAGEN, Dec 8th, 2020: Capture One, the premier name in photo editing software, celebrates the release of the newest version, Capture One 21.
Linking our heritage to our future, this new version of Capture One reimagines the relationship between form and function to create a seamless bond between creator and creation. Combining its best-loved elements like personalized Workspaces and powerful Color Editor with new and exciting features like Speed Edit for immersive editing and Dehaze, to improve atmospheric conditions, Capture One 21 brings a new type of user experience; one that helps creators push the boundaries of their creativity by removing distraction and making it easy to exploit one’s creative potential.
Carrying on the tradition of development driven by user feedback, Capture One 21 is rooted in developing solutions to current challenges and anticipating tomorrow’s needs. With new ProStandard Color Profiles Capture One 21...

Continue reading...

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Am I the only one that finds this list of improvements pretty much a "meh" moment?

Ok, I mean, dehire, that's good. But the "Speed Edit"...meh.
The Pro Profiles...ok, might be nice, but not earth shattering enough for me to have to buy it.

I was hoping they might try to make their interface a bit less clunky....?

I like using the tool, I have the version 20, I only jumped into it to get one of my newer cameras to work properly tethered and then started delving into it and I like how their luminosity and other masking works and I like the way their tonal adjustments all work.

But the interface is a bit clunky and there are better features I could see being added, maybe pano stitching in app...or focus stacking, etc.

I was a bit suspicious when they started with all the 20% or more off if you bought pre-release sight unseen.

I assume that they're promoting the most major improvements in their advertising..and frankly I just don't see a single thing that is worth the upgrade to this point.

While I plan to watch their Dec 10th (I think it is) demo of the new version 21, so far my reaction is a resounding "MEH".

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I must say, I love Capture One. It is BY FAR the most powerfull RAW converter. Lightroom is not even anywhere near it.
But I must also say: 169 USD for an update (after what feels like 1 year of usage of Capture on 20) is realy expensive. I will never rent a single piece of software. But these prices are a realy a bit high.
Also these are not realy new features, mostly small improvements. I guess I will skip this version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I must say, I love Capture One. It is BY FAR the most powerfull RAW converter. Lightroom is not even anywhere near it.
But I must also say: 169 USD for an update (after what feels like 1 year of usage of Capture on 20) is realy expensive. I will never rent a single piece of software. But these prices are a realy a bit high.
Also these are not realy new features, mostly small improvements. I guess I will skip this version.

You can pay less per month or more per full release. Your version 20 also didn’t stop working, nor did mine. Ether way if you want every upgrade it’ll cost you about the same, and why wouldn’t it?

Upvote 0

COBRASoft

EOS R5
CR Pro
Mar 21, 2014
Oudenburg, Belgium
More powerful than PhotoLabs 4?

Upvote 0
[/QUO
I’d like to know why it’s significantly cheaper for Nikon, Sony, and Fuji users. $109 vs $159 for the update. I’d be more willing to consider it at $109.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I’d like to know why it’s significantly cheaper for Nikon, Sony, and Fuji users. $109 vs $159 for the update. I’d be more willing to consider it at $109.

The Nikon, Sony, and Fuji ones are specifically for those cameras and also have free express versions. Canon doesn't have a deal with them nor a Canon sponsored photographer to train the users. Canon users and previously Nikon users had to get the every camera version. Capture One for Nikon came out this year with Capture One for Nikon Express too and all kinds of work put into it to make sure it had Nikon specific colour profiles.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
The Nikon, Sony, and Fuji ones are specifically for those cameras and also have free express versions. Canon doesn't have a deal with them nor a Canon sponsored photographer to train the users. Canon users and previously Nikon users had to get the every camera version. Capture One for Nikon came out this year with Capture One for Nikon Express too and all kinds of work put into it to make sure it had Nikon specific colour profiles.
That's the bit that annoys me as an enthusiast but if i was a pro that wouldn't (shouldn't) be an issue.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

Yeah, that's a bit steep.

I"m like you in that I don't "rent" my software either.

Well, one thing is that, likely as not somewhere in 2021 I"m guessing the price will drop a bit for upgrade and by that point we'll see what updates this version has and can see if it is worth the upgrade then.

C

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I think they're under the impression that we've had business as usual, I'll stick with v12 until my Clients feel comfortable with shooting again...that should be around Spring of '21, right?

They start doing progressive discounts as the years go on. I got C1 20 ay 66% discount and we'll see 21 get something similar by the end of next year. Also mind not everyone is suffering, and the developers at C1 need to keep their income flowing too.

Upvote 0
From my perspective, I'm still running version 11 because I just haven't seen a real reason to upgrade. I use it mostly for the live tethered capture for product photography which is essential and not provided by LR. Once this function is complete I'm free to switch to ACR / LR / PS. Their color tools and RAW OOC are both nice but it seems like other tools have employed similar functionality in recent updates. They also seem to save updates for a single shot rather than smaller incremental updates like you'd see in Adobe.

At some point I'll upgrade but I'd need a compelling reason to do so or some cash filling my pockets.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Two points,

First, please show us the difference, because whilst I have seen pixel level differences that illustrate the benefits of Capture One I have not seen examples of image wide benefits, that is when you look at the entire actual image as you would on delivery I just don’t see noticeable advantages of any RAW processor over another.

Second, at some point people will realize that is the cost of developing and supporting this kind of program. It doesn’t matter how you pay for it, monthly (which has huge advantages for professional users) or in ‘one off’ ’perpetual’ licenses that don’t work on your next camera or in your next OS and need ‘upgrades’ every year or two to keep current.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Two points,

First, please show us the difference, because whilst I have seen pixel level differences that illustrate the benefits of Capture One I have not seen examples of image wide benefits, that is when you look at the entire actual image as you would on delivery I just don’t see noticeable advantages of any RAW processor over another.

Second, at some point people will realize that is the cost of developing and supporting this kind of program. It doesn’t matter how you pay for it, monthly (which has huge advantages for professional users) or in ‘one off’ ’perpetual’ licenses that don’t work on your next camera or in your next OS and need ‘upgrades’ every year or two to keep current.
Of course you can achieve results which are pretty much the same with nearly all RAW converters. But its a big question how quickly and easy you can achieve this. The general performance when moving sliders (even on 4k screens where the changes are rendered instantly) and the export speed (and options) alone are reason enough to prefer C1 over lightroom. And than the way better handling of highlights, general sharpness, better finetuning of skintones.... you can achieve this in lightroom, but it takes way more time in my experience.

You are right on point 2 though :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0