Capture One launches Capture One 21

Jan 29, 2011
Of course you can achieve results which are pretty much the same with nearly all RAW converters. But its a big question how quickly and easy you can achieve this. The general performance when moving sliders (even on 4k screens where the changes are rendered instantly) and the export speed (and options) alone are reason enough to prefer C1 over lightroom. And than the way better handling of highlights, general sharpness, better finetuning of skintones.... you can achieve this in lightroom, but it takes way more time in my experience.

You are right on point 2 though :)
I suppose it becomes a question of workflow. I process in batches so I’ll spend a couple of minutes processing one image then apply that to all the images taken from the same place, sometimes 10’s sometimes 100’s of images, it takes a minimal amount of time then to individually process 100’s of images. I also use import presets in a powerful way that saves a huge amount of time in post, that is four bulk shoots.

My images are more about accurate colors, products and places, than what I think the skin tone looked like nor I like best, so am normally working with shooting profiles and have little to no color ‘correction’ to do.

For individual images or a single ‘hero’ image from a shoot I’ll process that individually but normally do the heavy lifting in PS anyway as it is vastly more powerful than any other post processing program.

But there is no right or wrong way, just the way we as individuals end up working best, I am always open to being shown ‘better’ ways and especially when images can be improved.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I suppose it becomes a question of workflow. I process in batches so I’ll spend a couple of minutes processing one image then apply that to all the images taken from the same place, sometimes 10’s sometimes 100’s of images, it takes a minimal amount of time then to individually process 100’s of images. I also use import presets in a powerful way that saves a huge amount of time in post, that is four bulk shoots.

My images are more about accurate colors, products and places, than what I think the skin tone looked like nor I like best, so am normally working with shooting profiles and have little to no color ‘correction’ to do.

For individual images or a single ‘hero’ image from a shoot I’ll process that individually but normally do the heavy lifting in PS anyway as it is vastly more powerful than any other post processing program.

But there is no right or wrong way, just the way we as individuals end up working best, I am always open to being shown ‘better’ ways and especially when images can be improved.
Absolutely agre :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Absolutely agre :)
Today I have 370 group shots of Santa and dogs and their families, two to five shots per group, I’ll set up early and make a test shot with an assistant with a color checker (though I already have profiles for the flashes and modifiers I’ll be using). When I get home I’ll import one test image, I’ll fully process that for color, exposure, curves, camera profile, noise, sharpness etc. I’ll then create an import profile from that one image and import all the other shots with that import profile applied. It sounds convoluted but takes around five minutes. Then I go through the images and choose the best shot for each group and rate it, and batch export with resizing done automatically, I then upload the output jpegs (obviously the original capture is in RAW) . I then select only the rated images and individually crop each one and I’m done.

The shoot is scheduled to finish at 8pm, I’ll be packed up and travelled home have all the finished images color corrected, edited, cropped, and uploaded by 12 tonight.

But I well understand that workflow will not work for others situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Today I have 370 group shots of Santa and dogs and their families, two to five shots per group, I’ll set up early and make a test shot with an assistant with a color checker (though I already have profiles for the flashes and modifiers I’ll be using). When I get home I’ll import one test image, I’ll fully process that for color, exposure, curves, camera profile, noise, sharpness etc. I’ll then create an import profile from that one image and import all the other shots with that import profile applied. It sounds convoluted but takes around five minutes. Then I go through the images and choose the best shot for each group and rate it, and batch export with resizing done automatically, I then upload the output jpegs (obviously the original capture is in RAW) . I then select only the rated images and individually crop each one and I’m done.

The shoot is scheduled to finish at 8pm, I’ll be packed up and travelled home have all the finished images color corrected, edited, cropped, and uploaded by 12 tonight.

Are you using C1 for your work or LR?

cayenne

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
trying it out right now.. the price makes me gag... however intuitively it seems to work how I want it to overall and more consistent than what I get with ON1... however I can more or less reproduce with on1 once I see it there... .. so just maybe missing stuff in on1.

it seems to load/perform much faster and overall seems more polished though lacking some features from on1.

having said that.. holy cow the price difference. I don't make money from my photos so hard to swallow the cost, it's about 4x the cost. Do they every have sales? because $400 USD is pretty steep for me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Are you using C1 for your work or LR?

cayenne
All done and delivered at 12:00. For many jobs I find the combination of DAM and processing abilities in Lightroom to be unbeatable. I took just over four hundred RAW images, some in groups of up to seven people with four or five dogs yet I can convert them to deliverables in less than an hour.

Sure they aren't earth moving images, but it scales...

_SF19628.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi PBD.
Nice shot!
I have pretty much the reverse of this, I have just scanned 1500 slides taken by my dad, he “rule of thumbed“ many of them and the exposures are a ‘little off’ so I have had to bracket lots of them! I’m now sorting out the family ones for making a few Christmas cards, needless to say I’m having to process each individually, out of a couple hundred done I can count on one hand the times I could copy adjustments!

Oh well I hope it will all be worth it in the end!

Seasons greetings to all, Graham.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
trying it out right now.. the price makes me gag... however intuitively it seems to work how I want it to overall and more consistent than what I get with ON1... however I can more or less reproduce with on1 once I see it there... .. so just maybe missing stuff in on1.

it seems to load/perform much faster and overall seems more polished though lacking some features from on1.

having said that.. holy cow the price difference. I don't make money from my photos so hard to swallow the cost, it's about 4x the cost. Do they every have sales? because $400 USD is pretty steep for me.

Well, if you don't have to be one of the "first in line" type folks....give it some time.

C1 will start having sales.

Also, if you have one of the cameras for their what I call "specialty" versions, like fuji, etc....they have versions that only work with those cameras at a discounted price.

But yeah...if you don't need it right now...wait a few months and they'll start having sales.

I have version 20 and have been really happy with the tethering and development controls. I've been watching some really good YouTube videos, where they explain what is actually being adjusted in the C1 controls (like clarity vs structure, etc)....and I've really learned how to target what I want better than I did with On1.

This guy has some really great teaching content and his shows that are weekly are great to watch and he interacts with chat too.

Paul Reiffer

Give this guy a watch and not only will it teach, but also let you know if C1 really is for you.

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Well, if you don't have to be one of the "first in line" type folks....give it some time.

C1 will start having sales.

Also, if you have one of the cameras for their what I call "specialty" versions, like fuji, etc....they have versions that only work with those cameras at a discounted price.

But yeah...if you don't need it right now...wait a few months and they'll start having sales.

I have version 20 and have been really happy with the tethering and development controls. I've been watching some really good YouTube videos, where they explain what is actually being adjusted in the C1 controls (like clarity vs structure, etc)....and I've really learned how to target what I want better than I did with On1.

This guy has some really great teaching content and his shows that are weekly are great to watch and he interacts with chat too.

Paul Reiffer

Give this guy a watch and not only will it teach, but also let you know if C1 really is for you.

HTH,

cayenne

thanks I may wait, someone post if they see a good sale.

pssst... I'm posting on canon rumors ;-) might just have canons here ;-) which are sadly not in the discounted versions. I can keep working with on1 .. but capture 1 (why do they all sound the same?) seems to be ... smoother and more intuitive to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
thanks I may wait, someone post if they see a good sale.

pssst... I'm posting on canon rumors ;-) might just have canons here ;-) which are sadly not in the discounted versions. I can keep working with on1 .. but capture 1 (why do they all sound the same?) seems to be ... smoother and more intuitive to me.

Cool.

Please do give Paul's videos a watch, I really learned a LOT watching him doing live edits, as well as the specialty videos he has showing features and now to work them.

C

Upvote 0
I tried C1 over the summer (I use LrC but hate Adobe's rental charges). Found it OK but some missing things that I used in LrC but managed to find (sometimes crude) workarounds. It did need some attention on DAM functionality but had some nice features as well. But the thing that made it was a non-starter was on my older backup machines adjustments were disastrously laggy (where LrC was fine).

So I was looking for something in the "features" of the new version like "faster" or "optimised" but none (or I missed it).

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I tried C1 over the summer (I use LrC but hate Adobe's rental charges). Found it OK but some missing things that I used in LrC but managed to find (sometimes crude) workarounds. It did need some attention on DAM functionality but had some nice features as well. But the thing that made it was a non-starter was on my older backup machines adjustments were disastrously laggy (where LrC was fine).

So I was looking for something in the "features" of the new version like "faster" or "optimised" but none (or I missed it).

You might give On1 RAW a look...it is closer to a 1:1 replacement to LR, but better......

C1 does take a bit more horsepower on the computer side.

Just curious, what exactly functionality-wise were you looking for in C1 that was missing that LR had?

With C1, it has two methods of file management...the first and old way was Sessions. The newer, and IMHO better way is Catalogs.....

Did you go down the Sessions route?

cayenne

Upvote 0
Just curious, what exactly functionality-wise were you looking for in C1 that was missing that LR had?
It was more many little things e.g. with my existing XMP tags/keywords (in LrC) I use a lot of synonyms so a keyword might be a species name and synonyms might be the common and familiar names (often quite a few) - so I could add synonyms as keywords (messy and a lot of work). I don't use iPhone for photos but have on occasions (where weather/water dictated) and their previous lack of heif was "get roundable" with DNG but messy (and the "development/colours" ended-up pretty terrible which would have meant re-processing everything).

I didn't find their DAM functionality as flexible though do recognise that more you use something, the easier and faster it becomes (and I was only on C1 trial for a couple of weeks).

But it was the performance image processing that made me stop looking further as that made it not possible.

But it was certainly not all negative. From memory, I liked being able to have more than one catalogue open at the same time (a massive weakness in LrC).

I'm still uncertain about Adobe's commitment to LrC as it really does not seem to me moving forward much and they seem to focus on the Creative Cloud and LR (CC) I find very inadequate.

The nature of my photos is better suited to larger broader catalogues rather than the Sessions system (which I regarded as "mini-catalogues"). It was image development performance where the issues arose (rather than catalogue handling).

Ian

Upvote 0