Hot Deal: Canon EOS RP $687, Canon EOS R $1223 and more!

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
the 7D has seen better days lol. When doing nature shots the blacks have RGB dots throughout them at iso 100. I also have started to explore night photography and there is tons of noise on it.

As I understand it the RP just uses the 6D sensor again. I don't know how that will compare to the 7D's sensor for the new things you're looking into. It's a shame the R5 is so expensive, as it's probably the most all-around versatile camera you can get today (as long as you don't want to shoot 8K video, in which case...well nothing else out there can do it at all.

Upvote 0
As I understand it the RP just uses the 6D sensor again. I don't know how that will compare to the 7D's sensor for the new things you're looking into. It's a shame the R5 is so expensive, as it's probably the most all-around versatile camera you can get today (as long as you don't want to shoot 8K video, in which case...well nothing else out there can do it at all.

yeah, I’m going to baby the 7D as long as I can. I know what limits it has now and for the most part know where to look for the dots. I was looking at the R6 as it might not be to far out of reach after the holidays. As for video, I have had the 7D since a week after release and since then maybe 45min total of video lol

Upvote 0
Canon online store is a joke these days. I saw the notification from cpricewatch around 1 am EST and immediately looked at the refurb only to find the EOS RP + 24-240 kit was out of stock. I have been waiting on a deal on this combo since Halloween. From my previous experience Canon stock will be in and out so I kept on checking while working on something else. But I ordered a RP body alone thinking just in case... and around 2am I saw the RP + 24-240mm kit showed in stock. So I added one to the cart and tried to check out, guess what the camera magically disappears from my cart. I checked again and found it still showed in stock. So I added one again and this time I was able to check out. So I had 2 orders at this point one for just the RP body and another for the kit. When I checked my order status online around 9am, my RP kit shows backordered but the RP body showed 'Inventory fulfilled'. I called Canon after 9am and was on the wait for over a hour before talking to a sales rep and explained him the story and I told him I just want the RP + 24-240mm kit but not the body alone. He told me the kit is not in stock. I told him it still shows in stock, he looked at the store and sure enough it was in stock. Then he went on to say the system is working as designed. I was like WTF? So a system basically shows an item is in stock when it is not really in stock is working as designed? Good innovation Canon!!!. He added that Canon does not sell the user returns as new even though they may not even be opened but inspects and add those to the refurbished pool, they also show items in stock anticipating there will more returns coming in to the pool and also some sales will fall through. I agree with the logic of getting few orders more to make sure you can sell all the stock but if I were doing this I will take the orders as "back order" not telling people "In Stock" but there is no logic in Canon' world so they go wild it seems. I think it is fairly common sense not to disappoint customers by showing something is in stock when ordering and only to tell them they are back ordered but in Canon' world it is OK to disappoint customers. Lately Canon sounds like is being run by a bunch of clueless clowns. Sorry for the rant but this non sense is going on Canon at least since 2017 and they are claiming that's how they have designed their system. I am left out wondering where did our good old friend "common sense" go these days.

I was stoked to order a RF 24-105 f/4 a few days before black friday, and experienced the mess of a system that you discuss. It's frustrating. Canon lists refurbished products as available, when in reality they are backordered. I placed an order at the old $873 price, waited over a week, realized it wasn't going to ship, so I called back at 6am PST, waited for over an hour after being told the wait time is 10min, then had a completely disinterested employee tell me it's not in stock with no sympathy for their broken system. It's the worst experience I've had with Canon service, usually it's been A grade. I wrote a 1 star review on their site as a few others have, for their terrible system.

It was frustrating, and I've given up on using their refurbished order system. I'll just wait to find a deal locally through Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Canon needs to put customer service and transparency first for their refurbished system. It's broken.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
RP uses a repurposed 6D Mark II sensor, not the 6D. Not that DXO is everything, but they rate that sensor as 85, whereas the original 6D is 82.

Which is way better than the 7D sensor, which rates at 66. That is soundly beaten by modern Micro Four Thirds sensors, never mind full frame sensors.

Also, it's 26 MP vs. 18.8 MP on the 7D, so it is a small bump in resolution, with much better noise performance thanks to the bigger sensor.

I think it's a noticeable jump for most people.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That RP body... Basically the same price as the 80D. How is that possible?
Did Canon's entry level FF sales crater this year and they have a ton of stock to clear?

Do keep in mind that every body Canon sells, should be one less camera sold and one less customer for Sony or Nikon.

Plus, most of these refurbs are good cameras anyway.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I was stoked to order a RF 24-105 f/4 a few days before black friday, and experienced the mess of a system that you discuss. It's frustrating. Canon lists refurbished products as available, when in reality they are backordered. I placed an order at the old $873 price, waited over a week, realized it wasn't going to ship, so I called back at 6am PST, waited for over an hour after being told the wait time is 10min, then had a completely disinterested employee tell me it's not in stock with no sympathy for their broken system. It's the worst experience I've had with Canon service, usually it's been A grade. I wrote a 1 star review on their site as a few others have, for their terrible system.

It was frustrating, and I've given up on using their refurbished order system. I'll just wait to find a deal locally through Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Canon needs to put customer service and transparency first for their refurbished system. It's broken.

I completely agree with you. I called them up for a second time to see if they will help get one before Christmas, their attitude is like we don't care. I told the agent I am going to switch to some other system. I got rid of all Canon bodies by 2018 but I still probably have $10k worth of Canon gear, that, Canon' ergonomics and R5 are the reasons I was thinking about switching back to Canon. But Canon is going to be that arrogant I am better of selling off all Canon stuff and move on with Sony.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
For all the Moaning Mona's...Canon has never been known for deals, especially after the advent of MAP. The Refurb store along with discount codes is THE chance to score. You snooze you lose and furthermore, the stock is hit and miss.
have to say MAP is quite irritating, but found local camera shops usually get around it by bundling stuff with it.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I completely agree with you. I called them up for a second time to see if they will help get one before Christmas, their attitude is like we don't care. I told the agent I am going to switch to some other system. I got rid of all Canon bodies by 2018 but I still probably have $10k worth of Canon gear, that, Canon' ergonomics and R5 are the reasons I was thinking about switching back to Canon. But Canon is going to be that arrogant I am better of selling off all Canon stuff and move on with Sony.

I hear you and I avoid Canon's official site like the plague.. tried buying an adapter from their e-site and it was an incredibly frustrating experience... I sent them some hate email about their site and oddly got a response and a pleasant person to deal with and my adapter :)... sometimes I get surprised.. but still I fully agree.. it's like they're trying to drive customers away.

Having said that, I really like my R5 :) just need more time to play with it....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DannyPwins

EOS Me
Mar 27, 2016
Canon online store is a joke these days. I saw the notification from cpricewatch around 1 am EST and immediately looked at the refurb only to find the EOS RP + 24-240 kit was out of stock. I have been waiting on a deal on this combo since Halloween. From my previous experience Canon stock will be in and out so I kept on checking while working on something else. But I ordered a RP body alone thinking just in case... and around 2am I saw the RP + 24-240mm kit showed in stock. So I added one to the cart and tried to check out, guess what the camera magically disappears from my cart. I checked again and found it still showed in stock. So I added one again and this time I was able to check out. So I had 2 orders at this point one for just the RP body and another for the kit. When I checked my order status online around 9am, my RP kit shows backordered but the RP body showed 'Inventory fulfilled'. I called Canon after 9am and was on the wait for over a hour before talking to a sales rep and explained him the story and I told him I just want the RP + 24-240mm kit but not the body alone. He told me the kit is not in stock. I told him it still shows in stock, he looked at the store and sure enough it was in stock. Then he went on to say the system is working as designed. I was like WTF? So a system basically shows an item is in stock when it is not really in stock is working as designed? Good innovation Canon!!!. He added that Canon does not sell the user returns as new even though they may not even be opened but inspects and add those to the refurbished pool, they also show items in stock anticipating there will more returns coming in to the pool and also some sales will fall through. I agree with the logic of getting few orders more to make sure you can sell all the stock but if I were doing this I will take the orders as "back order" not telling people "In Stock" but there is no logic in Canon' world so they go wild it seems. I think it is fairly common sense not to disappoint customers by showing something is in stock when ordering and only to tell them they are back ordered but in Canon' world it is OK to disappoint customers. Lately Canon sounds like is being run by a bunch of clueless clowns. Sorry for the rant but this non sense is going on Canon at least since 2017 and they are claiming that's how they have designed their system. I am left out wondering where did our good old friend "common sense" go these days.
I had an issue buying the 35 rf refurb. Bought it said in stock. Was waiting for about a week for it to ship then I got an email saying it was back ordered. I called and the sales rep could care less. That was my last purchase from canon.com. I’ll buy used from Craigslist or eBay for now, but I may eventually switch to Sony. Sounds drastic, but I can’t support canon with shitty service like that.

Upvote 0