M1 and DPP4? (Plus other Canon Utilities)?

Feb 5, 2020
Howdy!

Did you take a look at the canon support pages?
I am not in the Mac fraction, but when I went to my German homepage and chose DPP I could see these OS beeing supported:
View attachment 195313
macOS Big Sur 11.0 seems to be not supported by DDP yet.

I wonder what the difference is between OS X, Mac OS X, and macOS? That one shows Big Sur.
3446D09D-699D-4DE0-B891-43EDB1574C6D.jpeg

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I wonder what the difference is between OS X, Mac OS X, and macOS? That one shows Big Sur.

It’s just the evolution of the naming convention that Apple has been using for their “computer” OS. They started inserting ‘Mac’ and ‘Mac OS’ to differentiate it more clearly(even though they are sort of unifying them) from ‘iOS’, ‘watchOS’, etc. But more directly to your question, the older OS’s were referred to as OS X (insert nickname and point version) and the latest are macOS (insert nickname and point version).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It’s just the evolution of the naming convention that Apple has been using for their “computer” OS. They started inserting ‘Mac’ and ‘Mac OS’ to differentiate it more clearly(even though they are sort of unifying them) from ‘iOS’, ‘watchOS’, etc. But more directly to your question, the older OS’s were referred to as OS X (insert nickname and point version) and the latest are macOS (insert nickname and point version).
They aren’t unifying the OS’s, they are moving to ever more format relevant OS’s, the iPad OS the biggest benefit of having OS’s that are device specific, they were castrated all the time they ran phone firmware, now they have their own OS they are fantastic tools.

They are making big efforts to vertically integrate the OS’s, but that isn’t the same as unifying them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I wonder what the difference is between OS X, Mac OS X, and macOS?
Not my topic, sorry.

That one shows Big Sur.
I could chose Big Sur on the German page, too.
But then DPP was not available. So it seems, they still need time to develop.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
They aren’t unifying the OS’s, they are moving to ever more format relevant OS’s, the iPad OS the biggest benefit of having OS’s that are device specific, they were castrated all the time they ran phone firmware, now they have their own OS they are fantastic tools.

They are making big efforts to vertically integrate the OS’s, but that isn’t the same as unifying them.

I think we’re arguing semantics(Not that I don’t like doing that at times, as some of my posts prove). I meant it in the sense that they are looking and behaving more alike with similar/same features and able to seamlessly move data between devices(like text, email, pictures, documents you are working on, etc.), not that they are literally the same. But now with ”Apple Silicone” and the transition to moving all devices to ARM processors, everything can be more closely and tightly integrated and I’m sure the OS’s will start to have even more in common in their underpinnings, while still being optimized for the specific device.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ziz

Zissou
Feb 13, 2020
zissou.com
DPP4, for me, runs fine in Apple M1 via Rosetta. It was an automatic thing when I transferred our old iMac over to the M1 Mini. Runs on Big Sur. Both my OS and DPP4 are up to date.
I'm interested to know what the export speed is like
Are there any improvements with M1 (even though DPP is obviously running through Rosetta)

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
I'm interested to know what the export speed is like
Are there any improvements with M1 (even though DPP is obviously running through Rosetta)
I don’t think it would be an improvement if you already have a decent system. I came from an eight year old iMac with base ram so for me it was better. But it’s still a wait to convert to JPEG or TIF. If I have a bunch, I start the process and go do dishes or something. Five kids. There are always dishes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0