Stock Notice: Canon RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM at the Canon USA Store

I really want one but I own the EF 70-200 F4 Version 2 already... so this better be good. I'm skeptical for the following reasons:

1) IQ. I saw a youtube review video online showing this lens to have weak 70mm performance wide open in the corners. I want to see more IQ tests.

2) IQ-2. I've found many times when Canon updates to an RF version of a similar EF lens, the RF version is sharper but has worse bokeh. I'm hoping that isn't the case here. I've seen a couple review photos where the bokeh wasn't that smooth. Outlier, or just a really harsh BG, not sure. Will need to see more testing.

3) No teleconverter capability. I use my current EF 70-200 F4 Version 2 with a 1.4x and it gives nice results. Absolute bummer these lenses don't have TC capability. I know it's due to the size... but I'm losing out on essentially a 300mm lens.

4) Price. $1600 is a hell of a lot (for an F4 zoom). So I'm contemplating at this point, why not spend the extra $1000 and get the 2.8 version.

Upvote 0

max

Jul 20, 2010
3) No teleconverter capability. I use my current EF 70-200 F4 Version 2 with a 1.4x and it gives nice results. Absolute bummer these lenses don't have TC capability. I know it's due to the size... but I'm losing out on essentially a 300mm lens.
WHAT?!!!
I was just about to order the 2.8 to get a TC later... It didn't even occur to me that it couldn't take teleconverters...
I might just keep my EF 70-200

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
From an operational and functional point of view the big difference other than the collapsed size differential is the lack of a tripod collar which can be handy for rotating the camera into portrait mode with ease whilst on a tripod. Then there is the issue of weight distribution and whether when fully extended to 200mm if having to attach the body to a tripod rather than closer to the center of gravity on the lens will introduce any vibration issues during slow shutter speeds (perhaps engage IS mode???).

Upvote 0