Minimum spec PC and graphics card for Canon R5 video

Tigerlake does. Problem is only the low powered laptops have been released so far. They haven't gotten around to releasing the higher powered laptop chips yet.

"The Tiger Lake (microprocessor) & Rocket Lake adds VP9 12-bit & 12-bit 4:4:4 hardware decoding and HEVC 12-bit 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 hardware decoding.[18] Gen12 Xe will also support native AV1 decode, which includes 10-bit 4:2:0 16K stills and 10-bit 4:2:0 8K, 4K and 2K video.[19] Hardware encoding for VP8 was dropped and hardware decoding is only available on Tiger Lake.[20]"

From the wiki

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Tigerlake does. Problem is only the low powered laptops have been released so far. They haven't gotten around to releasing the higher powered laptop chips yet.

"The Tiger Lake (microprocessor) & Rocket Lake adds VP9 12-bit & 12-bit 4:4:4 hardware decoding and HEVC 12-bit 4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 hardware decoding.[18] Gen12 Xe will also support native AV1 decode, which includes 10-bit 4:2:0 16K stills and 10-bit 4:2:0 8K, 4K and 2K video.[19] Hardware encoding for VP8 was dropped and hardware decoding is only available on Tiger Lake.[20]"

From the wiki
Yep, was pointed out to me in another thread. I don't really follow mobile CPUs, especially since Intel made such a mess out of the naming. So I totally missed that. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Just to add. Blackmagic states support in 17.1 for intel cpu for hevc - essentially those which have the new xe or dg1 graphics. At the moment, Intel is making the chip available to oems as a discrete gpu and therefore not required to have an Intel cpu. Alas these are not available to purchase direct, hence why I suspect BM has no need to try and test whether they work or not.

Back to the OP, I think your choices are
  1. Wait for desktop class Intel CPUs as AMD APU is typically aimed at laptops
  2. Buy a Mac mini solely for this purpose - keep your PC for everything else
  3. Buy a new PC now and plan to add discrete gpu when available
  4. See if the new Canon firmware introduces any differences
My personal options are all but 1 as I purchased a couple of AMD systems last year pre 5xxx series, so I would prefer a new gpu unless it is a silly price and in which case a m1 Mac looks more attractive :)

Upvote 0
If you're asking about Intel. The Icelake laptop chips supported 10 bit. The change with the latter two families of chips is the addition of 12 bit decoding but no encoding at 12 bit.

You also need software support. Resolve for example only supports 10 bit.

well I was more interested in the XE gpu as that’s more flexible option for those who don’t want an Intel cpu

agreed you need the software support

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

From the wiki
whats the update on this the new Tiger lakes are out and I cant find any info on how they perform with h265 4.2.2. I have the old tigerlake and 4.2.2. is still troublesome.

Upvote 0
whats the update on this the new Tiger lakes are out and I cant find any info on how they perform with h265 4.2.2. I have the old tigerlake and 4.2.2. is still troublesome.

What software are you using? Resolve version 17.1 Studio and later should be fine. You'll also need to make sure your IGPU is turned on but in a laptop that's rarely an issue.

You need both software that supports the chip and the chip.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
What software are you using? Resolve version 17.1 Studio and later should be fine. You'll also need to make sure your IGPU is turned on but in a laptop that's rarely an issue.

You need both software that supports the chip and the chip.
i have premiere and i am using the open cl option. i have the 4 core tigerlake but with a rtx3070 but that gpu does jack shit for editing.

Upvote 0