RF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Release day! Atalopedes campestris, Sachem Skipper. Conditions were not ideal, with the subject moving in the wind between rain showers. The skipper had just coiled its proboscis after sipping nectar from the light blue flower that is alone at bottom center, among the dark purple. EOS R5. I think that the blending of the out-of-focus background is beautiful. I did not use the SA ring.
Atalopedes campestris, sachem skipper 210708 9-3.jpg

Attachments

• Atalopedes campestris, sachem skipper 210708 9-2.jpg
    Atalopedes campestris, sachem skipper 210708 9-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Release day! Atalopedes campestris, Sachem Skipper. Conditions were not ideal, with the subject moving in the wind between rain showers. The skipper had just coiled its proboscis after sipping nectar from the light blue flower that is alone at bottom center, among the dark purple. EOS R5. I think that the blending of the out-of-focus background is beautiful. I did not use the SA ring.
View attachment 198846
Great photo! Hope I don't have to wait too long for my copy of the lens so I can join the fun.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Thank You fot these wonderful examples! (also the pieces of art You posted ealier) (y) (y) (y)
I hope I get a RF 100 soon or later.

Two questions:
Have You used the SA control?
Had You any issues with focus shift which is reported to be a problem with slower apertures.
Thanks, Nemorino.
No, i have not used the SA-control in these Pictures. I did play with it, but to my impression it does not produce nice results. At least my guess is, that it is difficult to use it properly.
It is possible, that there was focus-shift in some pics, but i am not sure. Most photos were taken with shorter than 1/100 sec due to the sunny weather we had today.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There is a Focus-Shift in certain pics. After identifying the AF-field in DPP4 you can see it herte. The AF-Point is in the center of the pic and the focus is clearely in the area in the background. ISO 250, f 2.8 and 1/100sec.
That is misfocus, but not focus shift. By definition, focus shift occurs when you stop down, because the focusing is performed with the lens wide open and in lenses affected by the issue, a narrower aperture results in back focus. The lens is f/2.8, so if you shoot at f/2.8 there cannot be focus shift.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0