The specifications for the upcoming Nikon Z 9 leak out ahead of the official announcement

Z9 will probably have 18 months unchallenged before R1 makes an appearance.
As far as we know the only major difference between Z9 and R3 is 45MP vs. 24MP, and that may or may not be important to the potential buyers. It's the AF-performance that will define these cameras, and AF will be compared to A1 and R5. I doubt Nikon will release Z9 without being confident it will match the AF-performance of the A1 and R5.

Nikon won't be doing stupidly slow superteles either.
It's all about options. Canon also has 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 for those with deep pockets. As for now Nikon only offers up to 200mm natively on the Z-mount.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't think so. the Z9 prototype was already being used at the Olympics, but no R1. Only the R3 so far.
I think the comment meant that with the amount of production issues manufacturers have right now, the Z9 will only become properly available deep into 2022, at which point Canon will have spun up the hype machine they currently dedicate to the R3 for the R1.

If anything, I wonder if Nikon what Nikon knows about the R1 made them want to beat them in terms of release date so that they don't directly have to compete with it for a while. We don't know if global shutter and Quad Pixel AF are just wish list specs or if Canon plans to actually do something with their patents on this. If it is the latter, all the moaning about how inferior the (cheaper) R3 is to the Z9 will flip around in an instance once the R1 comes out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
That is not, however, what Canon themselves say. They say the 1DX III is the flagship until the R1, the R3 is marketed below the 1DX III.
Yes this is what Canon are saying but you wonder if it will be convincing if the R3 reviews well. Other than battery life it’s hard to say at the moment as to what you’d point to say the 1DXIII is the better model. I think it will give it an old fashioned out of date feel to the 1DX III. It will be interesting what the real world attitude will be and whether Canon struggle to continue to sell the 1DXIII without discounting (they may also reduce supply of the 1DX III).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As far as we know the only major difference between Z9 and R3 is 45MP vs. 24MP, and that may or may not be important to the potential buyers. It's the AF-performance that will define these cameras, and AF will be compared to A1 and R5. I doubt Nikon will release Z9 without being confident it will match the AF-performance of the A1 and R5.

It's all about options. Canon also has 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 for those with deep pockets. As for now Nikon only offers up to 200mm natively on the Z-mount.
With 100-400 S, 200-600 and 400 f/2.8 S and 600 f/4 S incoming. No f/11 abominations as part of the line-up or f/7.1 either. Nikon will no doubt release the superteles with the Z9 and you must have missed the fact they already have 400/ f/2.8 and 600 f/4 and Canon's so-called RF versions are just adapted EF lenses, so better than using the current Nikon's with an adapter.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

£3000/£7000 saved up. I have had my pre pre order in for a wee while and expect this'll make my 500 PF and Z glass just jump up to a new level. Even just the MP jump and blackout free EVF is going to be huge. Got plans for a R5 when the tilt-shifts come out too. Always keep a toe in both camps cos you know someone will have a MP-E 65 and someone will have a 500 PF.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nikon have never failed to make great cameras, yes they have made some duds along the way too, but the D800 and D850 were class leading DSLR’s.
The D800/810 had really bad colors right out of camera, e.g. they turned mauve colors into cold blue impossible to recover - like the older 12 MP Nikons (I know what I am talking about). Ming Thein, a Nikon user, therefore loved the 5DSR for the fact, that he just could use the images right of the camera (https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/08/19/long-term-canon-5dsr/). With recent generations, Nikon engineers improved their color science much indeed, so the D850 is a really good camera. But this game is over, I guess.

Upvote 0
With 100-400 S, 200-600 and 400 f/2.8 S and 600 f/4 S incoming.
Incoming yes, as for now not released. Even though you dislike the f11 superteles they're cheap and available, and those who own them are taking wonderful photos with them.
you must have missed the fact they already have 400/ f/2.8 and 600 f/4
I'm comparing Z-mount teles to RF. Both Nikon and Canon has a wide selection of F and EF teles.

Upvote 0
“Nikon is readying what can be assumed is their flagship professional mirrorless camera, the Nikon Z 9”

“The EOS R3 is NOT going to be Canon’s flagship mirrorless camera”

“over the toy that is the Sony Alpha 1”

Looks like someone was triggered…

Regardless of what Canon says, the price of the R3 will determine its position on the market. I mean, it might be very slightly more expensive than the alpha 1 (in reality it should be about the same price or lower), but it can’t be more expensive than the Z9.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Reading this thread, there is one question popping up again in my mind: does the change from Canon to Sony to Nikon and maybe back to one of this list (if the specs of a new camera are too mouthwatering) improve anyone's photography? I doubt this, given the fact, that today's tech is so good that most probably the (non-pro) photographer himself may need some brainware upgrade, if he is not satisfied with his results (I stress the masculine gender, because according to my experience, women are less prone to GAS and more interested in improving their photographer's skills). But that's just my humble few cents here...

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Reading this thread, there is one question popping up again in my mind: does the change from Canon to Sony to Nikon and maybe back to one of this list (if the specs of a new camera are too mouthwatering) improve anyone's photography? I doubt this, given the fact, that today's tech is so good that most probably the (non-pro) photographer himself may need some brainware upgrade, if he is not satisfied with his results (I stress the masculine gender, because according to my experience, women are less prone to GAS and more interested in improving their photographer's skills). But that's just my humble few cents here...
These cameras are aimed for the professionals, not for amateurs.

But, answering your question…yes, they improve our photography, but not as much as one would think. It’s not directly proportional, not by a long shot. Usually there’s a significant improvement on replacing entry level gear with better equipment, but in these scenarios…I guess you can expect that doubling your investment may give you a 10% overall improvement, if you learn how to use the new camera properly. Or maybe less than that.

But again, these are professional cameras, aimed at professional photographers.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
These cameras are aimed for the professionals, not for amateurs.

But, answering your question…yes, they improve our photography, but not as much as one would think. It’s not directly proportional, not by a long shot. Usually there’s a significant improvement on replacing entry level gear with better equipment, but in these scenarios…I guess you can expect that doubling your investment may give you a 10% overall improvement, if you learn how to use the new camera properly. Or maybe less than that.

But again, these are professional cameras, aimed at professional photographers.
Enthusiasts with sufficiently deep pockets buy these high spec cameras in numbers - you can see them here and on Fred Miranda. You can't quantify in terms of percentage what improvements they make. What they often do is to extend the range of what you can do or enable you to do more easily what you could do only with difficulty in the past. Or simply increase the fraction of keepers. Sometimes, the improvements, like animal eyeAF for example, are quite dramatic.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0