Please help

Hi all

As the name suggests I am still learning

I am lucky to have a Canon R5, so yesterday i was in my car and taking some images of a scene through an open window, shooting Auto ISO 320/1 f5 with a rf70-200 2.8

Having taken a few images i brought the camera inside the car to view the images, which were satisfactory, 30 seconds later i went back to the open window to shoot again the same scene and the image in the view finder was completely bleached, i never changed a thing

I needed to turn the camera off and on again for this to reset

This has happened on a few occasions now

The other issue is sometimes it goes the opposite way and goes very dark but more often bleached

look forward to some constructive advice and no doubt a little criticism

thank you

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Welcome to the wonderful world of the R5.

First, check these obvious causes (which I'm not optimistic about). You may have inadvertently changed the exposure compensation, which is easy to do. The next time it happens, check to see if the exposure compensation indicator has moved. It's possible the camera was reading something dark, like the inside of your car and didn't respond when you went to the bright light. Again unlikely.

Or, since you fixed it by turning the camera off and on again, this may be similar to the freezes that many of us have experienced with the R5. https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/eos-r5-freeze-lock-up-issues.39459/ and https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...ur-r5-freeze-lock-up.39462/page-6#post-893009.

Some people believe it's a card issue. Others aren't so sure. As I said in the other thread, I'm just living with the freezing for the time being, to see if it gets worse or not. If it doesn't I'll try to accept it until Canon offers a firmware fix. It it gets worse, I'll send it to Canon for repair.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've never had it happen with my R5. I have, of course, messed up by not resetting my parameters after a manual exposure but that's not fixed by a restart.

Since you have had it happen before, I'd call Canon and see what they say. If its only happened with the one lens, its possible that the lens has a aperture that sticks or even a poor connection. If it has only happened when using that lens, it would be a likely candidate for the issue.

I don't recall seeing this reported before so its not common. Clean the lens contacts or at least inspect them for dirt or deep scratches. Look at the lens contacts on the camera side for signs of damage (rare).

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your replies so far

I do shoot Continuous Af, not tried other settings for that no

I normally only use the 70-200 2.8 but will use a different lens for a few days and see

Swapped out the cards, its not that

Really confused about it

Someone said i should turn off exposure simulation but from what i have read that is only really helpful with flash and im not shooting flash

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
What shooting mode are you using? Aperture priority or some other? Is your viewfinder set to change when you change the exposure compensation?

I normally shoot Aperture (A on the mode dial) and have had this happen when I accidentally moved the dial to M - manual.

I also had this happen with a M50 I purchased recently. The viewfinder would get completely "blown out" as if totally over-exposing. It also would reset if I turned the camera off and on again. There was nothing I had done - not settings changed, everything set correctly. Camera was returned. That's what I would suggest (if possible) if you are sure that you did not alter any settings or mode when it happens.

Upvote 0
@Czardoom

I shoot M, always as a way to force myself to use the camera

Absolutely changed nothing, i took the picture brought the camera inside the vehicle, it was pointing to the floor as i viewed the images, something outside caught my eye pushed the lens back out through the open window and the entire view finder was bleached, i thought maybe viewfinder so took the image away, sadly image was as shown totally bleached

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
@Czardoom

I shoot M, always as a way to force myself to use the camera

Absolutely changed nothing, i took the picture brought the camera inside the vehicle, it was pointing to the floor as i viewed the images, something outside caught my eye pushed the lens back out through the open window and the entire view finder was bleached, i thought maybe viewfinder so took the image away, sadly image was as shown totally bleached
Auto-ISO, though...

Is it possible that you pressed the star button (autoexposure lock) when you pointed the camera to the floor? What does the image metadata say about the ISO?

Upvote 0
Excellent news and thank you to everyone who tried to help, in particular @Mt Spokane Photography

After @Mt Spokane Photography suggested i speak to Canon, thought there was nothing to lose, R5 is still under warranty so go for it

I was impressed with the manner and speed in which they came back to me

Long story short, i have a silicon case on all my camera bodies to protect them, this particular case, which i complained to the vendors about at the time of purchase, was very tight and surprisingly was clipping the AE button (*) as i was lifting the camera upwards, obviously as it was viewing darkness it shot everything skywards

Problem solved, turn it off

And get rid of the silicon cover too

thank you all

Upvote 0