Is the EOS R3 too rich for your blood? Refurbished Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 bodies are in stock

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A lot of people may have been waiting for the announcement of the Canon EOS R3 before making a big buying decision on a Canon mirrorless body, so if the EOS R3 doesn’t fit your needs, now is a good time to grab a refurbished Canon EOS R5 or Canon EOS R6 from the Canon USA store. All of Canon’s refurbished gear comes with a full 1-year Canon USA warranty.

Refurbished Canon EOS R6 Body $2249 (Reg $2499)
Refurbished Canon EOS R5 Body $3509 (Reg $3899)

Continue reading...

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
No money left for the R3.
After my second Moderna covid shot, I felt an irresistible urge to buy a huge number of Microsoft products, and to plaster my living-room with framed photographs of :love:Bill Gates :love:.
No longer interested in Canon gear at all. If I only understood why.
PS: I've also started a collection of tin-foil hats.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Sold my extra EOS R and 5DS, then ordered the refurb R6 a couple days ago. Going to see if that combo suffices, then ponder an R5 later. I think my remaining EOS R may be enough for forest photos. For portraits, the EOS R works as good as the 5DS. Although, I have enjoyed keeping 3 bodies for weddings. A possible combo could be one EOS R, one R6 and one R5. Even a 5DSR would be nice for a 3rd body and high res.

1600.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
I have to say that I have been really satisfied with the performance of the R6. It has done everything I want out of a photo camera. My R is getting kinda tired for video content though, wondering if an R5 is worth it with the heat limitations... Or, just wait for a video centric camera to come out, like the R5C...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Mauser

Mauser
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
TX
I must say this, feeling a strange compulsion to say it here!

I am about to jump ship to Sony products. Just trying to figure out the fiscal damage done by making the transition. I have been waiting for a Canon camera that is geared toward the stills photographer with high resolution without the need for a telescope to see the astronomical price tag. We were told at one point that Canon had an 85mp camera in development . . . you know, sort of 5DS ish. Canon has the capacity but not the will, apparently content to let Sony do the heavy lifting. If a newby asks for recommendations I send them looking for the broader, more capable Sony lineup. If Canon didn't have other revenue streams they would be struggling to catch up just like Nikon.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

I am about to jump ship to Sony products. Just trying to figure out the fiscal damage done by making the transition. I have been waiting for a Canon camera that is geared toward the stills photographer with high resolution without the need for a telescope to see the astronomical price tag. We were told at one point that Canon had an 85mp camera in development . . . you know, sort of 5DS ish. Canon has the capacity but not the will, apparently content to let Sony do the heavy lifting. If a newby asks for recommendations I send them looking for the broader, more capable Sony lineup. If Canon didn't have other revenue streams they would be struggling to catch up just like Nikon.
TL;DR - you felt compelled to sound foolish. Bye.

You were going strong until the end. But in typical troll fashion, you ended with a statement that is completely wrong and easily refuted by facts, thereby wrecking your credibility and merely making your post sound petulant.

Canon leads the ILC market – they don’t need to catch up, they are in first place and have been so for nearly two decades. Canon reports their camera sales separately on quarterly financials, and their Imaging group is profitable, not struggling.

Sony does not lead the ILC market, they have been trying for years to catch up to Canon and have failed to do so (they are taking market share from Nikon, as has Canon recently). Sony does not report their camera sales separately on quarterly financials. Their Imaging group has been shifted from one division to another several times in the past few years, further obfuscating their results. Many analysts have suggested their camera sales are not profitable (which would explain why Sony buries those data).

Don’t let the proverbial portal hit you in the proverbial posterior on your way out.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI

-The R5 at 45 MP has similar effective resolution to the 5DS at 50 MP, reviews have proven this out.
-The highest MP body of Sony's only gets you a 16% increase in linear resolution vs Canon.
-Canon will almost certainly still come out with a higher MP body. In Fact, I'd bet on it by end of next year.

You would be better served by spending money on a trip to a place where you could take great photos, than trading in all of your gear for that of another manufacturer, unless you're just one of those weird Sony fanboy camera collectors that doesn't actually shoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Does refurbished mean used? Quite expensive for my taste.

I do not like that all of them have SD slots. Even the R3. SD is the VHS tape of memory cards. I hope we will soon get rid of them.
Might be used, might be a display model, might be factory blemished, but the key difference is Canon is fixing whatever deficiency there might be itself to bring it to "like new" condition, and providing a 1-year warranty on it, neither of which you get by buying used off eBay or whatever.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Might be used, might be a display model, might be factory blemished, but the key difference is Canon is fixing whatever deficiency there might be itself to bring it to "like new" condition, and providing a 1-year warranty on it, neither of which you get by buying used off eBay or whatever.
One year does not sound a lot. Isn't the normal warranty at least two years?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

I must say I have a strange compulsion to say this. What you write makes no sense. Of the 3 mirrorless brands that have high MP cameras (Sony A1, Canon R5, Nikon Z7) the Sony has by far the more astronomical price tag. For stills especially, the R5 and Nikon Z7 or Z7 II are far better choices, as Sony's only real advantage is the 30 fps. On price alone, Nikon's Z7 would be the camera I recommend to newbies. Saying Sony has the broader, more capable lineup is ridiculous. Looking for best inexpensive mirrorless FF? The Nikon Z5 is a far better stills camera than anything Sony might offer. Looking for higher MPs? As mentioned, especially for the price, Canon's R5 and Nikon's Z7 are much better value for the money, with Nikon's Z7 arguably having the best IQ for stills.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
In other industries regulators would force companies to use the same standards to make it easier for people to combine products from different brands. Imagine Sony, Nikon and Canon would use the same mount and we could just combine any camera with any lens. I would prefer Sony's 70-200 for the RF system for example, as it has internal zoom.

That would allow you to take a Sony and a Canon body on a trip and pack the same lenses for both of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0