On1 Photo Raw 2022: No Longer a PS CC Plug-in

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
After being a loyal customer for six or seven years, I was on autopilot updating my Photo Raw to the latest, 2022.

A huge change was only referenced in passing pretty far down the Info page: It no longer works as a plug-in with Photoshop 2022!

Fortunately, they seem to have a straightforward refund policy (30 days). I'm not expecting any problem.

This will give me a chance to see if all I really needed was On1 Effects, which is sold as a plug-in for Adobe LR and PS CC. (I just hope I can sort it all out in time for the current discount on Effects.)

It does offer a lot of excellent editing tools.

Anybody else routinely blend Effects or other On1 software into their workflow?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
They claim to be customer driven; have you given them feedback? What is the primary reason you haven't actually moved to ON1?

Jack
I've used On1 for about seven years, missing no updates, but this new version will no longer function as a plug-in for PS CC. I'm very happy with my workflow: DPP for culling, LRC for cataloging and edits (except for high ISO photos, which I take care of in DxO PhotoLab, then back to LRC). Finally, retouching in PS CC, and using Exposure and On1 as filters.

(Note that when I started using ON1, it was mainly a plug-in. Then they evolved into an alternative to LR, but the update cost remained about the same. So I just kept going. Now they've changed it up.)

I would have happily kept updating On1 Raw if it were still a Plug-in. But I can probably get most of what I want with just Effects, which is a plug-in. I just haven't tried the new version yet.

And, yes, I told them why I wanted the refund.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I've used On1 for about seven years, missing no updates, but this new version will no longer function as a plug-in for PS CC. I'm very happy with my workflow: DPP for culling, LRC for cataloging and edits (except for high ISO photos, which I take care of in DxO PhotoLab, then back to LRC). Finally, retouching in PS CC, and using Exposure and On1 as filters.

(Note that when I started using ON1, it was mainly a plug-in. Then they evolved into an alternative to LR, but the update cost remained about the same. So I just kept going. Now they've changed it up.)

I would have happily kept updating On1 Raw if it were still a Plug-in. But I can probably get most of what I want with just Effects, which is a plug-in. I just haven't tried the new version yet.

And, yes, I told them why I wanted the refund.
Thanks

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I've tried the current version of Effects 2022, and I see nothing new added. Nothing on ON1's website indicates anything new has been added to the 2022 version. I've read through it twice.

So, bottom line, I'm happy with Raw 2021. Upgrading would take away the plug-in functionality. Switching to just Effects 2022 brings nothing new.

I have to say I'm puzzled by ON1's new model. All it seems to do is discourage updating.

I'll check back next year.

Upvote 0