Industry News: Nikon announces the NIKKOR Z 28-75mm f/2.8 and development of the NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S

Aug 12, 2010
Not to be argumentative but some situations it'd make sense:

1) they outsource the lens grinding, but either can use a patented coating of their own that the original maker couldn't, or use a publicly-available one that's better but more expensive

If the special coatings on the lens' optical surfaces changes the path of light then it makes no sense to do this.

The reality is that as the market contracts, expect to see more of this happening. Was it Sigma OEM'ing lenses for Leica? And Panasonic? Didn't Leica use an optical model from Tamon or was it Sigma?

The optical formula is what's difficult to change one part of (glass materials or coatings) because the precise design would take everything into account but the electronics, mechanisms and casing would eb easier.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

meh, 28-75/2.8 sounds pretty boring. I never felt I needed just 5mm more on the long end. Yes I want longer--but I want so much longer that I need either -100mm (e.g., 24-105/4) or I need a separate telephoto. In contrast, 4mm more on the short end is a game-changer.

It's a cheep lens that isn't on par with the L lenses from Canon nor the S lenses from Nikon. Nikon have a 24-70 f/4.0 S, 24-120 f/4.0 S, and a 24-70 f/2.8 S that are all better than the 28-75 f/2.8.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Nikon are making a great impression on me these days, with the stunning Z9 and a series of lenses that in some instances seem to be "better" in terms of spec, design and ergonomics than Canon's RF series. Sony are also producing very impressive bodies (a9ii, a1) and lenses. We really are so spoilt for choice nowadays, that it's very difficult to decide which brand is "best" for my own usage.

Sony still seem to hold the AF crown, with IMO the best system for BIF. Canon for me still hold the crown for ergonomics and user enjoyment. Overall though, Nikon really deserve to be right at the top, but unfortunately they just don't seem to be able to market the cameras well enough, which is a great pity. They deserve more.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
...... I went with RF instead of Nikon or Sony based on the gut feeling that over the next couple decades Canon would catch up.

My one solid fear is that Canon's lead in sales is so comprehensive, and so well-managed despite not having the best gear, that they may just get used to having good sales without being cutting edge.
Yes, this is the only real issue - Canon are a comparatively conservative company. They'd probably *claim* that their philosophy is to let other companies do the beta-testing, (and then only introduce things in Canon gear when they were satisfied they had the best and most reliable implementation), but the R5 overheating issues rather exploded that myth.

More likely is that Canon's sales success just leads them to sit on their laurels and appear complacent. The frustrating consequence for their customers is that we need a lot of patience as we wait for them to play catch-up, with new bodies and lenses. It's pretty much the opposite philosophy to Sony, who rush their latest technology out as fast as they can and thereby capture the early adopter techno-enthusiast market. Poor old Nikon meanwhile try very hard to produce class-leading cameras (and often succeed, ref D810, D850, Z9), but sadly have great difficulty convincing people to actually buy their products.

I'll probably stay with Canon for 2 reasons, a) the cost of switching is too prohibitive, and b) I prefer Canon ergonomics. But if I was rich enough to be able to afford to switch systems, I'd be very tempted by the Sony a1 and it's vast range of native glass. I'd rate Nikon and Canon about the same as far as lenses are concerned - Nikon have some lenses that I prefer to Canon nearest-equivalents, but likewise Canon score with others such as the RF 100-500mm. I'm very impressed by the specs and design of the Z9 (and the price!), but I don't like gripped bodies, so that kicks both the Z9 and the R3 into touch. Looks like I'll be staying with the R5 for another couple of years then.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0