How awesome would it be if you could use the USB C port for backups with a USB stick or hard drive?

Jul 21, 2010
Dead easy: Go to the blue menu (the play sign one, 3rd along), page 1 bottom Copy Image. It will give the instructions for copy from card 1 to card 2.
Glad the the suggestion was helpful.
When I mentioned doing this a while back in the context of the R3 (if the slower SD card limits my shooting speed in writing RAW to both cards, I planned to write only to the CFe then copy images to the SD during down time), it was also met with surprise by some.

No disrespect to @Felix intended, but it’s surprising to me that people don’t RTFM.

Upvote 0

Felix

Greetings from Germany
Nov 9, 2021
When I mentioned doing this a while back in the context of the R3 (if the slower SD card limits my shooting speed in writing RAW to both cards, I planned to write only to the CFe then copy images to the SD during down time), it was also met with surprise by some.

No disrespect to @Felix intended, but it’s surprising to me that people don’t RTFM.
This is of course also clever and can save money, because UHS-II also costs more. I am very satisfied with my Kingston Canvas React Plus, which offer good value for money.

I actually read the user manual, but I skipped the blue part. I was more interested in everything else :D

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I confess that I discovered how to copy by browsing the menus not the manual. I tend to subscribe to the school of "When all else fails, read the menu" and like learning by experience. It all began with going from an IBM PC to an Apple Mac+, for those who are old enough to remember the introduction of windows and logically intuitive software.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I confess that I discovered how to copy by browsing the menus not the manual. I tend to subscribe to the school of "When all else fails, read the menu" and like learning by experience. It all began with going from an IBM PC to an Apple Mac+, for those who are old enough to remember the introduction of windows and logically intuitive software.
I tend to read manuals for relatively complex hardware items, like new cameras and new cars. There are often new features that weren’t on previous models, and the manual is a good way to learn about them.

The first Mac I bought was an SE. Instead of dual floppies, I upgraded to the ‘massive’ 20 MB hard drive – today even a single RAW file would not fit on it.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Dead easy: Go to the blue menu (the play sign one, 3rd along), page 1 bottom Copy Image. It will give the instructions for copy from card 1 to card 2.
Glad the the suggestion was helpful.

I had thought over all of these possibilities before the trip of a lifetime to the Galapagos. It was lucky I did have a back-up as my laptop failed to recognise my camera or card reader. But, I had taken an iPad and downloaded to that and was able to connect my iPad to my MacBook.
The solution to my little problem was so simple, and just didn't know (despite always carefully reading the manual...)(y)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I tend to read manuals for relatively complex hardware items, like new cameras and new cars. There are often new features that weren’t on previous models, and the manual is a good way to learn about them.

The first Mac I bought was an SE. Instead of dual floppies, I upgraded to the ‘massive’ 20 MB hard drive – today even a single RAW file would not fit on it.
RTFM is useful, to say the least - especially for driving a car when learning by experimentation can have rather unfortunate consequences! It's just I've always liked learning by osmosis, picking up bits and pieces here and there and working out things for myself rather than going through a textbook from A to Z. It has allowed me to do new things in research because of not having a preconceived approach. But, it's a very dangerous path.

Upvote 0
When backpack travelling, i took another option. My eos M do not support usb on-the-go, but my phone could.
- One big microSD in the phone
- one mini sd card reader
- one small usb-c OTG adapter
This way, i could backup my sd cards on my phone. And then to my cloud service when i found available wifi.

Quite fast (much faster than wifi), no pc needed, affordable.

Upvote 0