Battery recharge performance 2 bars after 1 year with LP-E6N, is that normal?

Hey everyone, I was wondering if the Battery recharge performance showing 2 bars on the 90D after 1 year with the LP-E6N is normal? It's had very light use, less then 3000 shots and a bit of video. I usually top it up before using it. It gets no where close to the rated 1300 shots on a single charge but that's because I only use it very lightly so the battery naturally discharges over time. The last time I charged it was about 2 months ago, it's done 87 shots with this charge half of those being birding and the other half long exposure night photography, it's now at 47%. If I were to charge the battery and use continuous shooting within a week or a few days then I'm thinking it would get close to the 1300 rated shots.

How long did it take your LP-E6N's Recharge Performance to show 2 bars?

Thanks for anyone's replies.

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Batteries - or is it cameras - are strange little creatures.
I hardly get more than 400 pictures out of my 5 D4, 280 out of my Leica M240, but 800 + out of my EOS R ???
My cameras are all set on maximum power economy (no GPS, auto-review, wifi etc...).
And I use exclusively OEM batteries.
With the same settings, the M 240 is said to be good for 1000+ pictures.:unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You stored your camera with battery for 2 months or more before using it? Its is possible that wi-fi is on standby or something is slowly draining the battery. Thats a common issue. Remove the battery when not using it for a week or longer.
I last charged the battery 2 months ago, during those 2 months I've taken 87 shots. I think I'll remove the battery now when not using it for a while, thanks :)

One other thing I noticed was when I got the camera brand new the battery was dead when I first inserted it, is it normal for a LP-E6N to have 0% charge out of the box? All the other devices I have purchased over the years the battery has always come from around 40-60% charge out of the box which is normal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I last charged the battery 2 months ago, during those 2 months I've taken 87 shots. I think I'll remove the battery now when not using it for a while, thanks :)

One other thing I noticed was when I got the camera brand new the battery was dead when I first inserted it, is it normal for a LP-E6N to have 0% charge out of the box? All the other devices I have purchased over the years the battery has always come from around 40-60% charge out of the box which is normal.
A new battery should never come fully discharged.
You should have returned it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
One other question I have is about the internal clock battery inside the body, from my understanding does this battery save all of the settings in the menus and the clock? I heard the main battery keeps the internal battery charged up. If I were to remove the main battery from any DSLR or M series Canon for say 6 months would the internal clock battery go flat and be ruined?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's interesting, was that just with the LP-E6 variants or other Canon batteries as well?
The latest 2 LP-E6NHs, a Sony a couple of years ago etc. I complained once and was told that's how they come. I think that the latest R6 I bought came with a completely flat battery.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0