Fake Amazon reviews on tripods etc

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Amazon has filed a lawsuit against the administrators of more than 10,000 Facebook groups which attempt to orchestrate fake reviews in exchange for money or free products.

The groups are set up to recruit individuals willing to post incentivised and misleading reviews on Amazon's online stores in the US, the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Japan.

The reviews are designed to artificially boost product ratings and therefore increase their likelihood of being bought by customers.

One of the groups identified in the lawsuit is "Amazon Product Review," which had more than 43,000 members until Meta, which owns Facebook, took down the group earlier this year.

The fraudsters behind such groups solicit fake reviews for hundreds of products available for sale on Amazon, including car stereos and camera tripods

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
after seeing the reviews for the time/space shifting HDMI cable and the sugar free gummi bears
Those are "good" users who make fun of products advertised to perform something impossible, or sold at prices out of this world. It looks Amazon let them in, and didn't delete them.

Anybody knows that those are fake reviews written to mock the product. The problem is with reviews that look "sincere" but are written to improve the ranking of products that are not so good, or damage those of competitors. It might not be easy at all for someone who doesn't know the products, or didn't become proficient to read between the lines of reviews, to understand it.

Last year even some vendors like Aukey were kicked out because of the amount of false reviews (https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/10/22428858/amazon-aukey-mpow-listings-disappearing).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I've had offers of up to $120 to do a fake review of toner cartridges. I accepted that one just to see, and sure enough, I got the $120 gift card in my account. Since then, I've ignored other offers after spending a lot of time going thru the Amazon red tape to report them. They just return under another name. They now typically send a letter in the mail to avoid getting caught using Amazon's email. I think that my reviews are considered valuable. I've written hundreds of them and received a lot of likes. I have no intention of becoming a influencer.

Attachments

• amazon fake review request sanitized.jpg
    amazon fake review request sanitized.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Amazon has filed a lawsuit against the administrators of more than 10,000 Facebook groups which attempt to orchestrate fake reviews in exchange for money or free products.

The groups are set up to recruit individuals willing to post incentivised and misleading reviews on Amazon's online stores in the US, the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Japan.

The reviews are designed to artificially boost product ratings and therefore increase their likelihood of being bought by customers.

One of the groups identified in the lawsuit is "Amazon Product Review," which had more than 43,000 members until Meta, which owns Facebook, took down the group earlier this year.

The fraudsters behind such groups solicit fake reviews for hundreds of products available for sale on Amazon, including car stereos and camera tripods
Here is an interesting update to this story, Canon is the leading camera manufacturer with fake/unreliable reviews.

Upvote 0