EOS R3 for macro with eye-control AF

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Not used it for macro, but my R3 will consistently focus up and to the right of where I'm looking, regardless of how many times I've 'trained' the algorithm. I have eventually turned it off.

So I wouldn't be too optimistic about your use-case.
Thank you! I'm afraid you confirmed my suspicions.
Unfortunately, I can't even rent one for testing where I live...

Upvote 0
Thank you! I'm afraid you confirmed my suspicions.
Unfortunately, I can't even rent one for testing where I live...
I'm just one datapoint, so hopefully others can/will chime in with their experience with the eye-focus.

@neuroanatomist @AlanF what are your experiences so far with the eye-directed focus on the R3?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I find eye control AF useful, but not for something like selecting one leaf on a tree. It works well for me for selecting one person in a group, ideally when using face or eye AF. Where it’s really handy is when I want to capture images of various people in a moving group of people (sporting event, etc.) with subject isolation (wide aperture) and I can look at each person to shift the eye AF to them and fire off a quick burst.

Regarding selecting one part of the image field easily, honestly I think the smart controller is the best approach I’ve used to date. It blows away the joystick that worked well with 9 points, was a bit cumbersome with 61 points, and is not efficient with a whole field of AF points. It’s ergonomically far superior to using the LCD, even restricted to the upper right quadrant. Because it’s also the AF-ON button, it doesn’t get much easier than sliding my thumb over the button to select the subject then pressing the button to AF.

After using it, it would be hard for me to go back to the older way on the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I find eye control AF useful, but not for something like selecting one leaf on a tree. It works well for me for selecting one person in a group, ideally when using face or eye AF. Where it’s really handy is when I want to capture images of various people in a moving group of people (sporting event, etc.) with subject isolation (wide aperture) and I can look at each person to shift the eye AF to them and fire off a quick burst.

Regarding selecting one part of the image field easily, honestly I think the smart controller is the best approach I’ve used to date. It blows away the joystick that worked well with 9 points, was a bit cumbersome with 61 points, and is not efficient with a whole field of AF points. It’s ergonomically far superior to using the LCD, even restricted to the upper right quadrant. Because it’s also the AF-ON button, it doesn’t get much easier than sliding my thumb over the button to select the subject then pressing the button to AF.

After using it, it would be hard for me to go back to the older way on the R5.
Very convincing.
But ay, there's the rub. My thumb has become quite insensitive after a discal hernia. So, I'll have to test if it works for me too. It could be the solution!

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
My first question to you: Do you wear eyeglasses? I wear eyeglasses and find the Eye AF occasionally useful, but would much rather use the smart controller to move my focusing points, which is my preferred method. The smart controller is not a feature on the R5 so might still be worthwhile considering the R3.

Do you find yourself often using a vertical grip? If yes, that is also an advantage for the R3.

Upvote 0
My experience with eyeglasses, specially bifocal ones, the eyefocus is rather inconsistent. I am left-eyed and that also adds to the problem because the nose also comes between eyeglasses and the viewfinder. Being said that, I have used it successfully for small insects in flight and also for selecting a part of the image that the small bird is between branches. For handheld macro, it would be more challenging, I guess. Swiping the smart controller is more consistent, faster and works better in all these situations.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
My first question to you: Do you wear eyeglasses? I wear eyeglasses and find the Eye AF occasionally useful, but would much rather use the smart controller to move my focusing points, which is my preferred method. The smart controller is not a feature on the R5 so might still be worthwhile considering the R3.

Do you find yourself often using a vertical grip? If yes, that is also an advantage for the R3.
No, I don't wear glasses.
But the smart controller is indeed tempting, and a real argument for the R3 (thanks Neuroanatomist !). Yet, I'll have to test it, not easy to find a rental in France or Germany. Unfortunately,my thumb has become insensitive due to a former discal hernia, so, using the smart controller could be difficult.
Another advantage of the R3, I almost always use a vertical grip, an integrated one being better than an accessory one!

Upvote 0