Stock Notice: Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM $599

The RF 100 is known to suffer from focus shift, and macro distance at f/8 with a flat subject is where that would be evident.
That is a good point, I redid my test, this time positioning my subject at an angle to reveal any shift in focus. I also focused the RF 100mm stopped down to f8 by holding the aperture preview button and moving the camera accordingly.
Again the 24mm is on the left, the 100mm on the right. While not being as extrem as in the first example, I would still consider the Rf 24mm to be a bit sharper.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-31 um 20.32.53_web.jpg
It's funny how so many of the lower end lenses have IS now. Especially given some bodies have it and this particular lens is so wide. I have the Sigma Art 24 F/1.4. This looks appealingly light in comparison, but also a little boring.
I am glad it has IS, I find this gives it that little extra in hand-holdability. I went hiking yesterday and took the 24mm with me and after sunset I was able to hand hold the camera for 5s. The images are not perfectly sharp, but absolutely useable.
I also wished that Canon would've released a 24mm 1.4 or even better 1.2, since I'm a big fan of shooting wide but also shallow, but so far I'm happy with the performance of the 24mm 1.8 and it will be a good lens to entertain me until there is a faster option.
Here is an example image from yesterdays hike, shot with the 24mm, wide open at f1.8.
C37A6794_web.jpg

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
First look at image quality at TDP
Compared to the new Sigma 24/1.4

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Brent Hall did an astrophotography test with this lens on his YT channel and found coma and CA to be fairly poor wide open.

I’ll keep waiting for the RF 24mm f/1.4 L.
Overall he was quite positive. He noted that the CA was easily removed, and that coma was acceptable at f/2.8 and very good at f/4.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah "pincushion" was a clanger! He is quite experienced with the R system and has produced some useful comparison reviews, e g. Of the RF 35/1.8 and of the 85/1.8. However, his are not technical reviews, but he does make raw files available. I downloaded and processed the RF 24mm files, and the smearing in the corners appears worse than my RF 16/2.8.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Yeah "pincushion" was a clanger! He is quite experienced with the R system and has produced some useful comparison reviews, e g. Of the RF 35/1.8 and of the 85/1.8. However, his are not technical reviews, but he does make raw files available. I downloaded and processed the RF 24mm files, and the smearing in the corners appears worse than my RF 16/2.8.
Right. Here is a comparison of the 24/1.8 with the 16/2.8. Wide open they produce very similar IQ.
With the 24/1.8 stopped down to f/2.8 so that both lenses are at f/2.8, the 24/1.8 clearly stands out as the winner. The midframe and corners have more contrast and they are sharper.
With both lenses stopped down to f/8 or f/11 (as you would do for landscapes) the 24 keeps the edge over the 16.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I use the 16mm for astrophotography so a wide aperture is important. I agree that TDP shows that the 24mm is superior. Brian processes using DPP, but I've found that I've found that processing with DXO PureRaw2 makes a substantial improvement. Stopping down to f/4 significantly reduces coma makes this into an acceptable lens. I tested two of these lenses in the shop and found one to be noticeably better than the other.
I can't comment personally on the 24mm as I don't have one.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

Pincushion distortion is just the opposite of barrel distortion (the one in the video), it's a real thing.

Upvote 0