The Updated Canon Rumors Site & Forum Will Launch Sunday Evening (EST)

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Click on someones name, click on points, click on available trophies.

Here is how you get points. People have to "like" you.

1. 1
    First Message
    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.
  2. 2
    Somebody Likes You
    Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more!
  3. 5
    Keeps Coming Back
    30 messages posted. You must like it here!
  4. 10
    Can't Stop!
    You've posted 100 messages. I hope this took you more than a day!
  5. 10
    I Like It a Lot
    Your messages have been liked 25 times.
  6. 15
    Seriously Likeable!
    Content you have posted has attracted 100 likes.
  7. 20
    Addicted
    1,000 messages? Impressive!
  8. 20
    Can't Get Enough of Your Stuff
    Your content has been liked 250 times.
  9. 30
    I LOVE IT!
    Content you have posted has attracted 500 likes.
Oh yawn...I'm predicting a huge lack of interest in this clumsy feature.

-pw

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
In the top left menu pull down there is a "mark all messages read" button...

And the button on the right is "Mark all Forums read". I prefer constancy, both should be marked the same....

EDIT

My mistake, both are marked with the same text. I'm happy now :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Digging the new forum so far!

1) Drag and drop for inline pictures. Lovely.
2) Indenting! Long overdue.
3) Hyperlinking no longer requires me to delete the http:// bit in the link (works with a copy and paste like everything does these days).
4) You can watch or unwatch an entire thread. It's a great opt-out move if the thread won't die or if it goes off the rails.
5) You can quote multiple posts and dump it into a single new post. Like it.

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I wonder if people will be nicer to each other with the refresh of the site. You know... make a nice, fresh start. I've been following this site for years, but I rarely post because there is often such a negative vibe that develops on popular threads. People with thousands of posts like to call newcomers a troll if they imply the slightest thing negative about Canon, and often seem to be trying to run new forum members off. In my opinion, a private playground becomes just an echo chamber, and it seems like a wasted opportunity.

I guess there's no incentive to change. Or... maybe there is? It's a nice, fresh, updated forum. The maintainer of the site has put a lot of effort into making it nice. It doesn't cost forum members a penny. Why not go out of our way to be nicer to people that drop in? Maybe make people feel welcome, even if we disagree with them? Some of you older guys (like my age, or close to it) could set examples for the younger folks that pop in, rather than start calling them trolls and telling them to go buy some other brand. You were young once too, and probably thought, with very little to back it up, that you knew everything about everything just like they do. ;)

Well, the people that get called trolls are the ones who keep posting negativity over and over, or who act like trolls. That's just a fact.

At the risk of sounding like a troll, your whole post was negative about the forum. How about something positive?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
People with thousands of posts like to call newcomers a troll if they imply the slightest thing negative about Canon, and often seem to be trying to run new forum members off.

I disagree, for the most part. Implying or stating negative things about Canon is perfectly fine, as long as those statements are plausible. Statements like (for just one example), "Canon can't compete in the MILC market," are clearly contradicted by verifiable facts. Anyone making such statements is either trolling, or ignorant of the facts.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Digging the new forum so far!

1) Drag and drop for inline pictures. Lovely.
2) Indenting! Long overdue.
3) Hyperlinking no longer requires me to delete the http:// bit in the link (works with a copy and paste like everything does these days).
4) You can watch or unwatch an entire thread. It's a great opt-out move if the thread won't die or if it goes off the rails.
5) You can quote multiple posts and dump it into a single new post. Like it.

- A

I'm liking it better too, taking a little to figure out the differences but this new version seems to be an improvement for sure....

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if there is a way to darken or change the forum font on my end. It is very light or skinny and hard for me to see.
I use an app with chrome called "dark reader", it inverts everything and is adjustable too and is rather quite awesome; helps my ailing eyes tremedously....

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Some of us dug Phil more as Peter Gabriel's drummer in two prior acts. :cool:

On a side note: Some millennial reporter for a major publication on Twitter recently thought it was neato that Mark Mothersbaugh of 'Rugrat's theme song fame' was also in Devo. o_O

I can't even. I instructed him that his error was tantamount to identifying Michael Jordan first and foremost as a failed minor league baseball player. And reminded him to eat his vegetables and never forget to call his mother. #youngpeople

- A
Peter has always had great drummers but his best imho have been Manu and Jerry. Jerry is a great guy, very personable and will chat with anyone, in person and on social media.

Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone for having patience with this process. It's nice to see people taking the time to get used to the change.. it really will be better.

We're still working to tie the blog to the forum the way it was intended, you'll get that comments button back soon.

There are a couple of other bugs and formatting issues we'll also need to fix.

There are lots of more features to be turned on, but we need to get the core stuff working first.

Thanks again,
Craig

You're doing great in making these improvements! Initial experience "had some issues", but by now it's very much workable ;)
Thanks for all the efforts!

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi Craig, CanonRumors and all that helped switching this site and forum to the new SW.

First congrats that you've managed to switch the Forum SW so smoothly.
I was expecting more trouble in the first days
But I suppose, you still have a lot of work to do ;)

A few bugs I've recognized (using firefox, latest version):
  • Login on main page is not working, only on the forum pages
  • contact formula doesn't work because of broken captcha function
  • what I also miss is a sorting function for new posts since last visit
    esp. to sort after number of posts makes it easier to find new threads over the "hot" high number threads
  • some boards are not yet switched fully from old to new, e.g.
  • parts of the "Regional Boards" are still missing, esp. my beloved "Germany" ;)
What I really like:
  • New editor for posts,
    great, that it has an undo/redo function
  • new optics
  • like functionality
As I said, I'm sure you still have a long ToDo list and if you know that already and will work on that later, I'll be patient.
Otherwise please restore that as well.

Thanks for your service, yours

Maximilian

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
I disagree, for the most part. Implying or stating negative things about Canon is perfectly fine, as long as those statements are plausible. Statements like (for just one example), "Canon can't compete in the MILC market," are clearly contradicted by verifiable facts. Anyone making such statements is either trolling, or ignorant of the facts.

That's a good example! So someone makes that misinformed statement (fairly regularly) and an otherwise good thread becomes overrun with regulars playing whack-a-mole. It detracts from the topic, and wastes people's time addressing it.

Maybe instead, someone could make a good, informed, fact-based response to this, get it pinned, and then refer the misinformed person to that pinned response. Then just ignore them rather than the usual "team pile on".

If they really are a troll, they'd be less inclined to stay if they're ignored. Trolls like to stir things up and generate a lot of noise. Misinformed people usually just need some education.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Click on someones name, click on points, click on available trophies.

Here is how you get points. People have to "like" you.

1. 1
    First Message
    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.
  2. 2
    Somebody Likes You
    Somebody out there liked one of your messages. Keep posting like that for more!
  3. 5
    Keeps Coming Back
    30 messages posted. You must like it here!
  4. 10
    Can't Stop!
    You've posted 100 messages. I hope this took you more than a day!
  5. 10
    I Like It a Lot
    Your messages have been liked 25 times.
  6. 15
    Seriously Likeable!
    Content you have posted has attracted 100 likes.
  7. 20
    Addicted
    1,000 messages? Impressive!
  8. 20
    Can't Get Enough of Your Stuff
    Your content has been liked 250 times.
  9. 30
    I LOVE IT!
    Content you have posted has attracted 500 likes.
Thanks for the info.

Now that I know how it is given or what it means...I guess my main question is...what USE is this? Is it used for anything?

Thanx,

c

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Thanks for the info.

Now that I know how it is given or what it means...I guess my main question is...what USE is this? Is it used for anything?

Thanx,

c

My guess is it is just a feature that is included with the new forum software. Might as well try it out and see if people like it.

Upvote 0