Canon EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

Hi all,

Long time lurker, recently picked up one of the new 85s, pretty solid lens so far, my only issue is I'm getting some vertical diffraction spikes on any point light sources in the frame. Anyone else encountered this in their shots?

Have tried without a lens hood and with a couple of hoods and that has made no difference. Attached photo is an example of the issue.

Attachments

• 85L Diffraction Spikes.jpg
    85L Diffraction Spikes.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
MG42 said:
Hi all,

Long time lurker, recently picked up one of the new 85s, pretty solid lens so far, my only issue is I'm getting some vertical diffraction spikes on any point light sources in the frame. Anyone else encountered this in their shots?

Have tried without a lens hood and with a couple of hoods and that has made no difference. Attached photo is an example of the issue.

That is not normal. If no other lenses create that on your body I'd say there is an issue with the one lens. Send to back and get another copy.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
hne said:
Viggo said:
hne said:
Really nice lens, this.

But I need to get a more powerful battery powered flash so I can use a larger aperture. This was a Yongnuo YN685 at roughly full power in an Elinchrom Rotalux 70cm deep octa just out of frame on the left and I had to stop down to f/2.8 to get X sync speed. HSS kills light output.

How about an AD600?

It's been close. Real close, me buying an AD600.

I just don't think I could get it to balance well on top of a Manfrotto 5001b (which is the largest stand I've been able to fit in carry-on luggage). So I've contemplated getting a Profoto B2 but then I'd need either two sets of modifiers or a really bulky adapter. The Elinchrom Quadra or ELB400 seem a better option then, but if I am to live without TTL I want the ability to meter the light and the Sekonic 858 that seems to be the only one that can measure HSS and HS flash adds a significant overhead to the price...

Ask again in half a year and I might have a solution. But until then... I'll stop down a stop or add a second flash when really needed.

Now... that didn't take half a year. Just shy of 5 months.

The 5DmkIV had some issues locking focus in the sunlight (or I fumbled too much with the phone app), but anyway... a test selfie with 85/1.4L IS and Elinchrom ELB500 TTL in a 125cm umbrella, no metering needed:

Attachments

• 85L1.4-ELB500.jpg
    85L1.4-ELB500.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
EF 85/1.4L IS & 6D. (ISO 6400; f1.4; 1/90sec.) Prepared with LR 5.6. First Pic. no changes at all, second Pic. ca. 100% Crop.

I've been testing this on an EOS R, and I also see the slightly cloudy catchlights/reflections in my kids' eyes. Only on this lens. Just like on your shot of the cat.

I also wonder if this lens's IS sometimes works against itself. I've just never been thrilled with the images I get from it. Without PP work, I can't get subjects to pop, to separate well from the background when wide open or nearly wide open. I miss my 85 1.2L II...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
I've been testing this on an EOS R, and I also see the slightly cloudy catchlights/reflections in my kids' eyes. Only on this lens. Just like on your shot of the cat.

I also wonder if this lens's IS sometimes works against itself. I've just never been thrilled with the images I get from it. Without PP work, I can't get subjects to pop, to separate well from the background when wide open or nearly wide open. I miss my 85 1.2L II...

I am quit happy, but my comparison is the EF 85/1.8. Here are two examples wide open. You can see the longitudinal chromatic aberrations (green/mangenta) in the first one and the purple fringing in the second. Both pics without any changes, only export in LR 5.6. CRF-2-9.jpgCRF-1-39.jpgCRF-2-10.jpgCRF-1-40.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
I still like this lens!
On a 5DmkIV at ISO 100, f/1.4 and 1/3200s on a slightly overcast, surprisingly cool summer afternoon. Trying kite flying with grandpa.

I especially like how this combination of camera and lens can focus next to the sun, in moonlight or for that matter catch someone running, all with a completely free choice of DOF. That it renders out of focus parts beautifully as well is definitely an extra bonus.

ExpectationsUp.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0