Tony Northrup: I Made a Mistake: The Canon EOS 6D Mark II is the BEST Vlogging Camera. Seriously.

Canon's DPAF is still the best for Vlogging- as soon if they update their next round of DSLRs and new MILCs with serious 4K video specs and proper codecs, they'll have the potential to again have the cache with video makers that Sony and Panasonic currently enjoy with their lineup. But we already knew that ;)

Most Vloggers don't need 4K, but more advanced low-budget filmmakers / social media / content creators / influencers want the best specced cameras and that word of mouth spreads down to the Vlogging masses and guides opinion, creating buzz and excitement.

You're first point is why I personally was disappointed with the 6dmk2 and moved on to another - it had the potential to be a great camera, rather than just a decently performing one. A few upgrades in features, or a lower starting price would have meant a far better reception, I think.

Back to the video in question though, wouldn't the ff camera and a 24mm 1.4 lens weight more than one would like for vlogging?
I would have thought the M50 with the 11-22 would be a better option : you lose the bokeh yes, but gain better video, lower weight, small size etc?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I take a lot of low-light band pictures in crowded environments. Full frame would remove the crop zoom factor (1.6x) and allow better low light capture. So yes for a very specific purpose. (re-read your comment)

Comments like that make me ask 'why do you want FF'. For a specific purpose(s)? Pride of ownership? Ego? Status? And all those reasons are as good as any to spend your money - lord knows I shudder to think how much money I have spent on gear (cameras and hifi) even though I have not pushed what I already have to the limit.
If image quality is not sufficiently better, all that means is that you do not use a camera under the circumstances that FF has definite advantages.
This is not getting at you, these thoughts occur every time someone posts similar comment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I own the 6D & the 6D ii and have taken many tens of thousands of photos with each (I don't shoot video and I have never used the "flippy" screen). I like both cameras, but my copy of the 6D ii is a better camera than my 6D; the specs may not say it's better, but it is. I suspect that most of the people who trash the 6D ii have looked at the specs but not actually used the camera long term. Of course I would rather have a 5D iv, but I am happy with my 6D ii. I think it is a great camera for the current price.

Got a 6D at work. Got a 6D2 in my home life. The 6D2 is a better camera, period! It seems to do everything better than the 6D.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I take a lot of low-light band pictures in crowded environments. Full frame would remove the crop zoom factor (1.6x) and allow better low light capture. So yes for a very specific purpose. (re-read your comment)

So are you saying that at low light, the APS-C is very close to 6D2? Is your concern noise performance, resolution or both?

Upvote 0
I'm a bit mystified by some of the comments here. I don't think anyone would dispute that the 6D II is a better camera than the 6D, so why don't we just lay that to rest. The only reason I did not upgrade from my 6D to a 6DII was the lack of 4K. It sounds like the 6D II gives impressive autofocusing. Now all it needs is 4K video to go with it and we have a serious vlogging winner.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm a bit mystified by some of the comments here. I don't think anyone would dispute that the 6D II is a better camera than the 6D, so why don't we just lay that to rest. The only reason I did not upgrade from my 6D to a 6DII was the lack of 4K. It sounds like the 6D II gives impressive autofocusing. Now all it needs is 4K video to go with it and we have a serious vlogging winner.

Numerous Internet reviewers have written that the 6D ii is not much (if any) of an upgrade from the 6D. One site called the 6D ii the "worst camera of 2017." I can't remember a full frame camera getting such bad reviews. It has a terrible reputation, that I think is very undeserved.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Numerous Internet reviewers have written that the 6D ii is not much (if any) of an upgrade from the 6D. One site called the 6D ii the "worst camera of 2017." I can't remember a full frame camera getting such bad reviews. It has a terrible reputation, that I think is very undeserved.
Well, you can either believe those that have used it for a while and put it through the paces or those that did a quick you tube video about it a year ago with no real experience using it other than taking a 10 stop under exposed image with it and whining about it having absolutely no dynamic range! lol......and of course screaming it had no 4k.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The 6D Mark II is easily one of the best photography purchases I've ever made. I bought mine during the sales this summer, upgrading from my Rebel T1i + Kit lens because I really wanted to go full frame. I will say: Canon KNOWS cameras. Despite all the bad press , the harsh comments, I've yet to see a bad photo come out of this thing that wasn't due to user error. For a enthusiast non-professional amateur who wants to celebrate 10 yrs learning photography there was NOTHING out there from the competition, those fancy mirrorless Sonys are just big cybershots, I really wanted to like the old D750 but it seems only Canon is offering the lightest, full featured FF, recently updated with a proven ecosystem and the best ergonomic controls. And a price drop to $1499 in store w/ free 13 month canon Carepak? As we say in Sales: no brainer

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Hmmm...much maligned based on specs upon release. But, much loved by those actually using it....where.have.I.seen.this.before????

Oh yeah, 6D Mark 1 was thrashed based on specs and even some initial reviews, but I have heard a lot of praise by those that actually own(ed) and use it.

Seems to be true with the 6DII as well. And, for that matter, the 5DIV ("sloooow lackluster compared to xxx"...yet mine does everything I have asked of it).

Anyway, gear are tools, and it is nice (dare I say vindicating???) to see TN find a niche where he considers the 6DII the best fit.

Apparently since the 6D2 came out, the original 6D has greatly improved, from what I read.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
The 80D does surprisingly well with good glass. I use a sigma 20mm 1.4 ART with it. I tried a few images at a store with a 6D MkII and my 80d.. there was a slight improvement in image quality and lot more in the field of view, but I couldn't focus where I needed it.

Crop factor is part of the issue, I can be closer without a crop factor and get more stage. I can accept and process some noise, but I need as much shutter speed as I can get in the light conditions I'm in. I often shoot at 3200 ISO and 1.4 aperture.. but means a small Depth of Field. Depending on venue that might get me 1/30 of a second, not great for movement. With the narrow depth of field and moving bodies, I need to be able to focus in an area and shoot immediately.. No time to use centre and re-compose.

So are you saying that at low light, the APS-C is very close to 6D2? Is your concern noise performance, resolution or both?

Upvote 0