Does 20% price drop on 5DSR signify 5DSR II soon?

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Canon dropped the price of the 5DSR (and 5DS) in the UK by 20% today. Does this mean the Mk II is on its way?
Just looking at the 5DIII, a big drop occurred about a year before the 5DIV was announced, but right around the time the 5DS (r) were announced. So, if I were to speculate and if rumors hold that it is the mirrorless coming not a DSLR, the first mirrorless out of the gate is going to compete with and likely be better than the 5Ds(r), thus is a high MP, likely "Pro" type camera. In other words, Canon going head to head with the A7RIII....if I were to speculate just based on a price drop in a single market (always dangerous) ;)

5DIII price history.jpg

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
At the very least, it reflects the sales volume. When sales slow down, stores stop ordering and complain eventually, Canon may drop the price.

Generally, we also see a price drop when a new model is anticipated, so its hard to guess which is happening. I think a replacement is needed.
Can it be both? That Canon has a similar new model to release about the time sales slow down to the point that stores stop ordering/complaining?

I would expect Canon to have a pretty good sense as to how a particular model's sales decline over time and have a similar alternative release somewhere in the mid point of the life cycle. I suspect that is why, for example, the 5Ds(R) and 5DIV are staggered essentially ~2 years apart. Now, mirrorless can enter the mix.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Can it be both? That Canon has a similar new model to release about the time sales slow down to the point that stores stop ordering/complaining?

I would expect Canon to have a pretty good sense as to how a particular model's sales decline over time and have a similar alternative release somewhere in the mid point of the life cycle. I suspect that is why, for example, the 5Ds(R) and 5DIV are staggered essentially ~2 years apart. Now, mirrorless can enter the mix.

IMHO, they usually go hand in hand.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
The 5D series followed a 3/4/4 year release cycle.

This is year 3 for the 5Ds.

The release cycle for the 5D series is getting long with every release 37 months, 42 months and 53 months ish, so 3/3.5/4.5 years ish, so if you are using this as a basis (albeit an unreliable one) for the release date of the 5DS/5DSR's replacement it won't be until 2020 (5 years after 5DS/5DSR's release date)

Upvote 0