Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site

Mar 25, 2011
The new site is up and running pretty well, considering its only been 5 days. I have seen remarks about missing features or non working features, so I thought that we could put them in one place for CR guy to consider. I'd expect that some are already on his todo list, but there may be others that he can add. In some cases, our computers are the culprit, I found that out about my pc not working with certain features.

So, I'll start it off:

1. I miss the ability to have a single mouse click to see unread posts after posting in the forum, I must click the forum drop down link, then click new. A New button right next to the mark read button would make me more efficient. Am I missing something? Since my browser (Firefox) is not working right with some features, its possible.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The new site is up and running pretty well, considering its only been 5 days. I have seen remarks about missing features or non working features, so I thought that we could put them in one place for CR guy to consider. I'd expect that some are already on his todo list, but there may be others that he can add. In some cases, our computers are the culprit, I found that out about my pc not working with certain features.

So, I'll start it off:

1. I miss the ability to have a single mouse click to see unread posts after posting in the forum, I must click the forum drop down link, then click new. A New button right next to the mark read button would make me more efficient. Am I missing something? Since my browser (Firefox) is not working right with some features, its possible.

Which "new" button? Exact name please so I can add it to the list of requests.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Which "new" button? Exact name please so I can add it to the list of requests.
Ideally, two – unread posts and unread replies (duplicating the two links at the top right of the old forum header).

In new forum terms, the latter is the combination of the 'Unread' and 'Threads in which you've participated' filters.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Ideally, two – unread posts and unread replies (duplicating the two links at the top right of the old forum header).
+1 to this

And if one could sort the "unread posts" and "unread replies" by number of replies this would be the icing on top for me.
Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
+1 to this

And if one could sort the "unread posts" and "unread replies" by number of replies this would be the icing on top for me.
Thanks in advance.

What is the logic in that? I think I prefer the most recent post to be on top, but if there is some advantage to having the one with fewest posts on top or vice versa, I might change my mind.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
A few other bugs I found (I'm using firefox, latest version):
  • Login does not work on main page, but on forum pages.
    I get a "Oops! We ran into some problems." message.
  • The contact form isn't working because of a captcha error.
    It shows "The reCAPTCHA was invalid. Go back and try it again."
OTOH ongrats that you've managed to switch the Forum SW so smoothly.
So thank you Craig, CanonRumors and all that helped switching this site and forum to the new SW.
I was expecting more trouble in the first days

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
What is the logic in that? I think I prefer the most recent post to be on top, but if there is some advantage to having the one with fewest posts on top or vice versa, I might change my mind.
To sort after number of posts makes it easier (for me) to find new threads over the "hot" high number threads.
And new threads are more interesting to me. Otherwise they get overseen.
I am with you that the latest posts are also interesting, but I prefer having choices in sorting.
If you know a better workaround I'm very interested.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A few other bugs I found (I'm using firefox, latest version):
  • Login does not work on main page, but on forum pages.
    I get a "Oops! We ran into some problems." message.
  • The contact form isn't working because of a captcha error.
    It shows "The reCAPTCHA was invalid. Go back and try it again."
OTOH ongrats that you've managed to switch the Forum SW so smoothly.
So thank you Craig, CanonRumors and all that helped switching this site and forum to the new SW.
I was expecting more trouble in the first days
  • I have submitted your issue with the "login".
  • I'll fix the contact form this weekend.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I'm really liking the new layout, congrats

There may be an issue on uploaded images when changing thumbnail to full image and back again the images duplicate. I noticed that my uploads had all gone to thumbnails so edited one of my post to try changing those settings.

When you upload images, there's a checkbox at the bottom to make them full size.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yes, thats it.

Sorry guys, I need the menu items exact name(s) as they appear below "Forum" on the sidebar so I'm sure what's being talked about.

One button would be: "Threads with your posts" ?

Whats' the 2nd?

The placement of these buttons is also an issue, as the forum is responsive and we can't just put them anywhere. For the desktop, I could put those buttons in the left side menu. However, on mobile, you'd have to do 2 clicks because the menu is hidden.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
To sort after number of posts makes it easier (for me) to find new threads over the "hot" high number threads.
And new threads are more interesting to me. Otherwise they get overseen.
I am with you that the latest posts are also interesting, but I prefer having choices in sorting.
If you know a better workaround I'm very interested.

There may be an add-on that we'll install that may help you in this regard, I need to research it a bit more.

However, we won't be doing any sort of re-writes to the forum software itself, as that can cause lots of problems down the road with updates.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
When you upload images, there's a checkbox at the bottom to make them full size.

Yip but this is after they have been uploaded, check out my first post on this page
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...whatever-lets-see-what-you-have.18673/page-81
these images have only been uploaded once.

PS another thing I'm enjoying on the new site is the much better display quality of uploaded images, assume there is much less/no compression going on. Will have to remember to reduce file dimensions though!

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Yip but this is after they have been uploaded, check out my first post on this page
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...whatever-lets-see-what-you-have.18673/page-81
these images have only been uploaded once.

PS another thing I'm enjoying on the new site is the much better display quality of uploaded images, assume there is much less/no compression going on. Will have to remember to reduce file dimensions though!

That's not an "attached" or "inserted image". Did you use the "Insert Media" option and link directly to Flickr?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
That's not an "attached" or "inserted image". Did you use the "Insert Media" option and link directly to Flickr?

Ah user error/misunderstanding!
Every time you click 'Full Image' it adds a copy to the post (I thought this was a toggle between thumb and full)
What I didn't notice until now was if you select one of the full images you get a little popup menu at the bottom of it which has a delete option.
Problem solved!
Regards
3.png3.png3.png

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry guys, I need the menu items exact name(s) as they appear below "Forum" on the sidebar so I'm sure what's being talked about.

One button would be: "Threads with your posts" ?

Whats' the 2nd?

The placement of these buttons is also an issue, as the forum is responsive and we can't just put them anywhere. For the desktop, I could put those buttons in the left side menu. However, on mobile, you'd have to do 2 clicks because the menu is hidden.

One is New Posts. That's already there (in the forum submenu, actually it's there twice). The other isn't currently in the forum submenu. When you click New Posts, that applies a filter named Unread (shows up above the posts), and to the right side of the screen there's a Filters drop-down menu. Clicking that brings up checkboxes, one of which is Threads with your posts. For a New Replies function, both filters are needed – Unread and Threads with your posts. Applying just the latter will show non-updated posts too, not the desired behavior.

Thanks, Craig!

Upvote 0