Just returned a Sony Alpha 7R III after a week

Let’s all get back to being civil, shall we? With that said:

Try borrow a 5d4 from somewhere and do the same test. The 5d4 sensor is a significant improvement over the 1dx 2.

You might find it a better fit for your needs, and at the very least, I’d be interested in hearing whether you changed your mind and the reasons after you looked at a 5d4.
Let’s all get back to being civil, shall we? With that said:

Try borrow a 5d4 from somewhere and do the same test. The 5d4 sensor is a significant improvement over the 1dx 2.

You might find it a better fit for your needs, and at the very least, I’d be interested in hearing whether you changed your mind and the reasons after you looked at a 5d4.
No it's not much better than the 1DX. Just barely and the camera is not ergonomically right, it has 1 less Digic Processor and it lacks the grip and the right size for my taste.
In fact, my friend who owns a 5D IV is the one that recommended the Alpha 7 to me. He owns both and he also praised the Sony quality over the Canon.
I don't care about ratings or numbers or DXO sensor scores. It's all about the real world. And the reality, even if people in this Canon forum don't want to accept it, is that the Sony has a much better sensor... Not to mention 2 years advantage in technology. Canon's latest is early 2016. That's too long for today's fast moving world.
Also, I forgot ot mention the AF is brilliant. It covers almost the whole sensor. Canon is stuck in the center. In portrait mode, the AF points on a Canon don't reach the person's eyes, on the Sony, you can go all the way to the edges. A huge plus in my book.

Upvote 0
I do own and use Canon 5D Mark IV and Canon 1DX (Mark 1, the original one, not mark 2 though...) and I have to say that while the 5D Mark IV greatly improved over its predecessor (Canon 5D Mark III), I don't see much change in the sensor, as opposed to Canon 1DX. Not at low ISO, not at high ISO.
Since Canon 1DX Mark II is supposed to be better than the first generation I would think it's also better than 5D Mark IV.

With my 5D Mark IV when shooting landscapes it's possible that the contrast is way to huge for the camera to handle, especially for photos taken around noon. I know you're not "supposed" to do that but as a tourist visiting a remote location you don't always have the luxury to return for the golden hour.
As I said, the 5D Mark IV is better than 5D Mark III when lifting shadows and (or) recovering highlights but it could be better. Other than that, I just love that camera!

Nelu
Nelu I have had every "1" Canon body since the original 1Ds back in 2001 or 2002... The difference from 1DX to 1DXII is big... But the DR is still not quite enough. Cheers.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Clicstudio….Thanks for the impressions. I think it is great that you found the ergonomics a more significant difference than the IQ between the two cameras to keep using the 1DXII. Of course, this is a point many have made here on CR. Ultimately, it is great that you have a tool that works for you and, like many of us, it is always interesting to look for improvements.

As for the IQ difference, I wonder if the MP difference between the two bodies could have been a contributing factor to your perceptions. Of course, that is dramatically different between the two bodies whereas the Sony's advantage over Canon is less striking depending on where you look (DXO vs photonstophotos, etc.).

If it is the high MP, I'd be curious as to what you thought about the 5Ds(R), or hopefully a future variant with on chip A/D conversion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well you did say "Sony blows anything from Canon away."
Maybe Sebasan would not have taken offense if you had just said it blew Canon's flagship 1D XII away.

I got lost in your OP review and cheated to the important part. I wanted to know the final decision.
I think the last line of your OP said all I needed to hear.
"I will wait and stick with my 1DX II until then. Back to B&H the Alpha a7R III goes. Happy Shooting "
THe 1DX II is the flagship. So anything under it is less good, if u want. So if the Sony beats the 1DX therefore it beats anything else, right?

Upvote 0
Clicstudio….Thanks for the impressions. I think it is great that you found the ergonomics a more significant difference than the IQ between the two cameras to keep using the 1DXII. Of course, this is a point many have made here on CR. Ultimately, it is great that you have a tool that works for you and, like many of us, it is always interesting to look for improvements.

As for the IQ difference, I wonder if the MP difference between the two bodies could have been a contributing factor to your perceptions. Of course, that is dramatically different between the two bodies whereas the Sony's advantage over Canon is less striking depending on where you look (DXO vs photonstophotos, etc.).

If it is the high MP, I'd be curious as to what you thought about the 5Ds(R), or hopefully a future variant with on chip A/D conversion.
Thank you. I don't rely on websites with reviews or numbers. As I said before, it's about the real world and what works for each individual. I also said that if I could have the Sony sensor inside the Canon body, that would be the beast of beasts... Unfortunately all cameras lack something. In my case, ergonomics are as important as the final quality. Things have changed too. Nobody prints anything anymore. Most of the stuff ends up on a website or instagram or viewed on a phone. Who cares if it was shot on a Sony, Canon or a Pocket Casio camera from 1999 as long as it looks good on a smartphone. Nobody looks a photos at 100%. In the end, the picture quality is relevant... Sometimes ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
THe 1DX II is the flagship. So anything under it is less good, if u want. So if the Sony beats the 1DX therefore it beats anything else, right?

I am not taking sides or wishing to get involved in a fight between others. But, this logic is questionable and the answer is No. The 1DXII is the Canon king for AF and high frame rate as well as built like a tank. So, it beats the other there. It is significantly beaten by the 5DIV for resolution and slightly for DR. And the 5DSR is number 1 for resolution in FF world.

Upvote 0
I strongly disagree with this, it is not a friend.
Who is D
Agreed.... And it's Abbott, not Abbot... Sorry, Dustin, apologies...
Still who is Dustin Abbot or Abbott and why should I care??? I am me, I am the photographer and reviewer I listen to. Me. I am very very successful at my job cause I spent more time playing and practicing on my own than reading someone else's rules. I make my own rules and I keep learning every day as I go and new technology develops. I know Pro photographers that still don't know how to use photoshop or Lightroom and complain that they have bad quality photos. U have to keep up with the fast times and Canon has a 3 year disadvantage over Nikon and Sony. I don't know who Dustin is and I am not even going to look it up... :p

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I am not taking sides or wishing to get involved in a fight between others. But, this logic is questionable and the answer is No. The 1DXII is the Canon king for AF and high frame rate as well as built like a tank. So, it beats the other there. It is significantly beaten by the 5DIV for resolution and slightly for DR. And the 5DSR is number 1 for resolution in FF world.

Not a believer in the "1D" magic theory? ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if Canon's algorithms are a bit better in the higher end cameras. Perhaps Canon has standardized their algorithms more recently as I have not heard someone make this claim in awhile, but 4-5 years ago, several people boasted there was some secret sauce in the 1D line.

But, part of the point here is finding a body that works for you. The 5DIV is really working for me right now. And, part of the point, I have noticed a much more pronounced difference in IQ than I expected in the 5DIV compared to the 5DIII. The color science is a bit different (I preferred the 5DIII's colors), but I can just do more with the 5DIV files and end up with a final image closer to what I wanted.

Improvements are great. I'll take every single one I can get, yet, at the end of the day I can only use one camera at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Size does matter. Of course more MP will give you more detail when you resize down to 1D size but overall the 1D is the better camera... The body alone is worth the price. IMHO

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Size does matter. Of course more MP will give you more detail when you resize down to 1D size but overall the 1D is the better camera... The body alone is worth the price. IMHO
Size does indeed matter - the 1DX is too big and heavy for me. And you don’t downsize from the 5DSR to see more detail. You lose detail when you downsize. You have the 1DX as it better for you. I take a 5D because it’s better for me.

Upvote 0
Size does indeed matter - the 1DX is too big and heavy for me. And you don’t downsize from the 5DSR to see more detail. You lose detail when you downsize. You have the 1DX as it better for you. I take a 5D because it’s better for me.
Fair enough. We are all different sizes and shapes too. Funny that nobody has come up with a Left-handed camera... I am not left handed but I would feel cheated if I were. Also, I use my left eye to see thru the VF, most people use the right... Standarizing products to be appealing to everyone must be a hard job.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Fair enough. We are all different sizes and shapes too. Funny that nobody has come up with a Left-handed camera... I am not left handed but I would feel cheated if I were. Also, I use my left eye to see thru the VF, most people use the right... Standarizing products to be appealing to everyone must be a hard job.
I also use my left eye. Is there some theory about having a master eye?

Upvote 0