More Mentions of a Canon Mirrorless Announcement Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There are some conflicting reports out there about Canon’s announcement plans ahead of Photokina. We were told back in July that we’d be seeing some announcements the first week of September, and there have also been reports of announcements the second week of the month as well. It’s possible two rounds of announcements are coming.
We’ve been told by a few people around the globe that Canon subsidiaries have training planned for select employees before Photokina. The trade show begins September 26, 2018. Training sessions are usually held for new cameras and not lenses.

Two of the sources seem to be assuming that a new Canon mirrorless is going to be announced ahead of the trade show.
We still don’t have much confidence that this will be the case.
We have confirmed the following announcements ahead of Photokina, and we’re waiting to hear if anything else is planned.

Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 31, 2018
Would you have some more info about the new video camera body? Is it a Cinema Eos camera?
If this is true and the cinema eos camera come as something like an upgrade from c100 mkII (xc20 with interchangeable lens perhaps? Or a C150? C100 mkIII?) I would buy in a blink of a eye. Only 3 things are crucial for me: 4:2:2 10 bit or better with a great codec (prores/dnx would be the dream), ND filters, and DPAF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Exactly, I also think that a C100 III replacement must come! I

If this is true and the cinema eos camera come as something like an upgrade from c100 mkII (xc20 with interchangeable lens perhaps? Or a C150? C100 mkIII?) I would buy in a blink of a eye. Only 3 things are crucial for me: 4:2:2 10 bit or better with a great codec (prores/dnx would be the dream), ND filters, and DPAF.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I hope Canon does wait like they did with the EOS system, let others take a lead as Sony has then blow all away as the EOS system did putting everyone behind by 30 years and are just now catching up (Don't get your panties in a wad about sensors, the real world differences are imperceptible). I don't mind if they are a bit late but come out with something incredible like they did with the EOS system. Of course they can disappoint like they have lately.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hope Canon does wait like they did with the EOS system, let others take a lead as Sony has then blow all away as the EOS system did putting everyone behind by 30 years and are just now catching up (Don't get your panties in a wad about sensors, the real world differences are imperceptible). I don't mind if they are a bit late but come out with something incredible like they did with the EOS system. Of course they can disappoint like they have lately.

I agree, Canon is a sleeping giant and when they move they move. I don't mind the wait at all. My existing canon bodies do everything I ask with ease. It takes time to do things right and I think Canon is getting ready to deliver the next wave

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
It will be curious to see what Canon does here.

There's alot of Nikon noise, maybe the decided that they didn't want to compete head on with the NIkon announcement plans and pushed things back 4 months.

The new Photokina is in May I think? Possibly too late but it's not as if there's not CP+,etc to launch something in the Jan - Feb timeframe like they always seem to do.

No M5 Mark II is sad :(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon is sitting at a global 49% ILC share right now. Let Nikon unleash its new platform (and possibly Sony to drop a counter announcement as well, perhaps an A7S III?) and we'll see what happens.

Canon will suck the air out of the internet when they drop their FF mirrorless offering(s) -- perhaps they want to wait until after Photokina to get everyone's attention rather than lose eyeballs to Nikon and Sony's announcement shenanigans.

That said, I would have thought the EF-M prime would come alongside an M5 II / M6 II. Curious what they'll ask (price-wise) for such a lens: $399? $499?

- A

Upvote 0
For me, there's really only one thing that will sell me on a mirrorless camera (from Canon or anyone else) - the EVF. I prefer DSLRs because I have a crystal clear, lag-free view of my composition. I'll wait until I start seeing mirrorless cameras with Sony's new 5 million-dot 240FPS EVF (ECX339A OLED) and a decent magnifier. Hopefully Canon uses something similar.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Canon will suck the air out of the internet when they drop their FF mirrorless offering(s) -- perhaps they want to wait until after Photokina to get everyone's attention rather than lose eyeballs to Nikon and Sony's announcement shenanigans.

Ha.....I hope you are right.

But, if history is any indicator, Canon will release a FF mirrorless that will be a massive internet disappointment, a spec sheet failure, and something that will be roasted like a luau pig in many a youtube video.

oh...and it will be used to take many wonderful pictures and outsell the Nikon/Sony offerings combined. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
BTW....NO BODY is interested in the 400 f/2.8 III???

It is possible that we are going to see the fresh coat of paint treatment. New coatings, which will likely help some.

But, I am hopeful this is more. I can see it being a bit sharper with TCs, but mostly, a decrease in the weight. It will be interesting to see as it likely will tell us the future of the Big Whites.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Exactly, I also think that a C100 III replacement must come! I
I recall reading that Canon will not provide an upgrade for the C100 II. This was just a rumor.

The obvious upgrade for the C100 II is 4K. But Canon may want to keep the C100 at 2K to preserve the difference between it and the C200.

Upvote 0

I'd be happy with a decent 4K option and a touchscreen for DPAF subject tracking added to the C100 mk III.
Bonus for : IBIS, 4:2:2 color, high frame rates, variable ND filter (would be a first for Canon)

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012

Frankly, there is little chance of this. What you want is a C300 mkii. It does exactly what you say want, you just don't want to pay for one.

If there is a C100mkiii it would most likely be a C200 without RAW/CFAST. A 4K cinema camera with ND filters (hopefully up to the 10 stops found on the C200), xlrs, face detect DPAF with touchscreen, 1080p120, CLOG 1-3, EF mount and which uses the 8 bit internal codecs found on the C200 possibly with 10 bit out over hdmi (probably not sdi).

With the C200 priced at US$7500 this would likely sell for about $5500 and would be a great entry level 4k cinema camera. If you really need 10 bit for all the tv spots you shoot buy a C300, you can afford it. If you only occasionally need that buy a C200 and shoot RAW on the few occasions you need it. The internal 8 bit codecs on the C200 are more than fine for about 98% of web-based stuff.

Upvote 0
Nikon sure is trying to hold attention for as long as possible without saying much aren't they? I can understand why Canon wouldn't want to release much while the competition is effectively spamming their teasers.

If Nikon's objective is to ensure people know that they have something coming and to keep potential buyers from buying something else now, Canon doesn't really need to do the same. Maybe the rumours will flow a bit more freely once Nikon makes a full and proper announcement.

I don't really expect to be in the market for a full frame mirrorless camera, but I still find myself caught up in the rumour mill: it's a testament to how much hype is getting applied to the topic (or how easily swayed I am). At this point I'm not sure it's possible to release a camera that won't disappoint a vocal few.

Upvote 0