Show your Bird Portraits

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Some beautiful recent posts and for some reason I didn't get notified and just decided to check in. That happens to me a lot so I go tick unwatch and then watch again.

I have nothing very impressive but I did get out today for a few minutes when it was very dull and this Solitary sandpiper was all I got - ISO 6400Solitary Sandpiper_36554.JPG

Jack

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Some beautiful recent posts and for some reason I didn't get notified and just decided to check in. That happens to me a lot so I go tick unwatch and then watch again.

I have nothing very impressive but I did get out today for a few minutes when it was very dull and this Solitary sandpiper was all I got - ISO 6400View attachment 179644

Jack

:D:D:D! If I see the Solitary Sandpiper around (and just snap-shot it) I will take a cup of whisky - to reduce the level of my adrenaline!!! They are very rare visitors here:(! Nice bird and nice shot!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Today: hunting for a reported Whimbrel and Gray Tattler (reported in the last 1-2 days from +/- same locality (well - they were photographed in a Wild-life refuge, I was outside).
Counted all 7 reported Bristle-thighed Curlews (known from before to be there) but no Whimbrel (it's much more rare here, and it is the reason to go after it).
Very hot day (and there are no trees to make shade on the ground under your object;)!!!). Look closely at the quality of the out of focus ares around the bird and further. I implied defocusing and "blur" only in the very upper part of the photo. Around the bird it's worst - it obviously evaporate some water to keep the right body temperature! The air-quality induced blur off course applies for the bird too...

Attachments

• DSC_9603_DxO.jpg
    DSC_9603_DxO.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Jack: It's the effect of the hot air lifting up - it's more visible close to the hot source (the ground, also the bird itself!). If the bird was 1-3 yards (meters) above the ground we most probably will not see the effect! Or if the ground under the bird was exposed to long time shade (cooler, not warm enough) despite the high temperatures around we may not see the effect too!
Does not matter - just be aware that shooting an object trough hot air (and +/- long distance) is tricky and if it (the image) doesn't look good may not be your or your lens mistake!!!
The base line is that there is nothing to do with my blur. I have to somehow find that birds when it's not that hot (huh, when they are feeding in the sanctuary early morning -forget it!).

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

I have nothing very impressive but I did get out today for a few minutes when it was very dull and this Solitary sandpiper was all I got - ISO 6400

Jack

That's a nice shot, Jack. :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
That's a nice shot, Jack. :)
OK, got it, thanks ISv.

Thanks Click. Shortly after, he caught a frog and was tossing it about, but he'd gone into deeper shadows and I was already too high at ISO 5000 and just Solitary sandpiper_36638.JPG1/640s so they are really poor. However, it's got me interested in getting him another day since it's in my back yard pond.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Thank you, Riley.
smile.png

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I have nothing very impressive but I did get out today for a few minutes when it was very dull and this Solitary sandpiper was all I got - ISO 6400

Jack
Nice shot Jack

Upvote 0
Hi Wiebe, no I did not see that, because, the Place where we have found this birds is far away from our home. We only can visit this place on weekends. Another reason is the hot temperature during the last month. I did not went out. It was tooooooo hot for me.
Maybe next year, the we want to spend the more time. Near to this Woodpackers we have seen a black Woodpecker.
Very nice one again! Pity you couldn't be there when they left the nest - but a relatively rare black WP is a nice consolation prize :cool:
Wiebe.

Upvote 0

Jack

That never happens to me - that I step out for a dull minute and get such a shot...:(;) Nice shot Jack!
Wiebe.

Upvote 0