Is a native EF mount coming to a Canon full frame mirrorless camera? [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
So, you do need to babysit your computer or NAS ?
Yes, he does. By building his own computer, he was able to realize his dream of a fully solid-state device with no moving parts. He has to sit there during backups, batch processing of images, etc. and frequently pause the process to allow the internal temperature to drop. Unfortunately for him, you see, a fan is a moving part. He hates those.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yes, he does. By building his own computer, he was able to realize his dream of a fully solid-state device with no moving parts. He has to sit there during backups, batch processing of images, etc. and frequently pause the process to allow the internal temperature to drop. Unfortunately for him, you see, a fan is a moving part. He hates those.
But it's all Canon's fault!

The best solid-state heatsink material is pure diamond (5 times more thermally conductive than copper), but stupid Canon refuses to produce inexpensive heatsink-sized diamonds. Surely there will be a lot of buyers for those!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But it's all Canon's fault!

The best solid-state heatsink material is pure diamond (5 times more thermally conductive than copper), but stupid Canon refuses to produce inexpensive heatsink-sized diamonds. Surely there will be a lot of buyers for those!
Yes, millions of people would surely buy a $999 solid state FF MILC with a diamond heatsink. :D

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
No problem, if Canon FF mirrorfree system comes with a new "slim" mount with shorter Flange Focal Distance. Then FD glass can be mounted via simple adapter, similar to FD/EF-M ones. I doubt Canon themselves will launch an OEM adapter for legacy FD glass. But there will be no shortage of 3rd party offers.

I realize it would need to be a slim mount. But if they want to mount legacy EF lenses then the slim mount is most likely out. Not a major problem but just a dream to use a digital Canon body with my FD etc. lenses without glass in the adapter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I realize it would need to be a slim mount. But if they want to mount legacy EF lenses then the slim mount is most likely out. Not a major problem but just a dream to use a digital Canon body with my FD etc. lenses without glass in the adapter.
For direct mounting, sure. But with a shorter FFD, Canon would provide an adapter for EF lenses, just as they do for the EF-M mount.

Of course, at issue is just how short they make that FFD. If they use a new FF mount that’s not EF-M, it’s manifestly in Canon’s best interest that those new ‘EF-X’ lenses can be mounted on EOS M bodies – in fact, I am sure Canon must ensure that possibility to provide an upgrade path for APS-C to FF analogous to DSLRs (EF mounts on APS-C). Custom EdMika-type adapters aren’t ergonomically feasible, so Canon likely needs to have at least ~12mm (like the EF12 extension tube) longer than the EF-M’s FFD for that adapter solution to work, meaning an FFD of >30mm. That means the ‘thin mount’ really only saves ~13mm from the current EF mount. I’d question whether that’s ‘worth it’. Also, that path means EOS M series users may need to carry two adapters, one for EF/EF-S to EF-M, and one for EF-X to EF-M.

Upvote 0
As I said before:

What if Canon will come out with a FF MILC with native EF mount for specially designed new lenses? And what if you can mount all EF lenses with an EF- 25 II extension tube? That would be sexy enough?

And then:

I think, Jester74 suggested an EF Mount but not the EF flange distance. Instead, he asked, wouldn't it be sexy, if the adapter would be the already available extension tube 25 II.

I like this idea. It would be a customer friendly solution.

Lightthief

Yep, you got that right! I forgot to mention the shorter flange distance, instead I mentioned specially designed lenses. Right now the EF flange distance is somewhere forty-something millimetres. Forty-something minus 25 is around 18 maybe, which is a decent flange distance for a FF MILC. This solution is sexy and professional. And I am a genius. According to my Mommy....:D

For direct mounting, sure. But with a shorter FFD, Canon would provide an adapter for EF lenses, just as they do for the EF-M mount.

Of course, at issue is just how short they make that FFD. If they use a new FF mount that’s not EF-M, it’s manifestly in Canon’s best interest that those new ‘EF-X’ lenses can be mounted on EOS M bodies – in fact, I am sure Canon must ensure that possibility to provide an upgrade path for APS-C to FF analogous to DSLRs (EF mounts on APS-C). Custom EdMika-type adapters aren’t ergonomically feasible, so Canon likely needs to have at least ~12mm (like the EF12 extension tube) longer than the EF-M’s FFD for that adapter solution to work, meaning an FFD of >30mm. That means the ‘thin mount’ really only saves ~13mm from the current EF mount. I’d question whether that’s ‘worth it’. Also, that path means EOS M series users may need to carry two adapters, one for EF/EF-S to EF-M, and one for EF-X to EF-M.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
As I said before:

What if Canon will come out with a FF MILC with native EF mount for specially designed new lenses? And what if you can mount all EF lenses with an EF- 25 II extension tube? That would be sexy enough?

And then:

Yep, you got that right! I forgot to mention the shorter flange distance, instead I mentioned specially designed lenses. Right now the EF flange distance is somewhere forty-something millimetres. Forty-something minus 25 is around 18 maybe, which is a decent flange distance for a FF MILC. This solution is sexy and professional. And I am a genius. According to my Mommy....:D

Ohhh... I hope not.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As I said before:

I forgot to mention the shorter flange distance, instead I mentioned specially designed lenses. Right now the EF flange distance is somewhere forty-something millimetres. Forty-something minus 25 is around 18 maybe, which is a decent flange distance for a FF MILC. This solution is sexy and professional. And I am a genius. According to my Mommy....:D

Your Mommy lied. It's not a feasible solution. If the current EF25 II tube can mount directly to the camera, so can any EF lens. They could mount, but not focus an image on the sensor. Sorry, that's neither sexy nor professional…it's the opposite of genius.

Upvote 0
Just copying my thoughts from another thread, here they may be a better fit.

What if the Canon's 'sexy' solution is a EF-compatible medium format camera. Imagine that the rumored EF-X mount is actually a medium format mount. EF-X lenses will work as medium format lenses covering the whole sensor (say 50Mp), EF lenses will produce slightly cropped images (say 36Mp) and EF-S lenses will only use 22Mp. Actually some EF lenses may work ok at the full size.

Upvote 0
Your Mommy lied. It's not a feasible solution. If the current EF25 II tube can mount directly to the camera, so can any EF lens. They could mount, but not focus an image on the sensor. Sorry, that's neither sexy nor professional…it's the opposite of genius.

Well what I told about my Mommy was just a sort of irony, but since she died please don't call her a liar.

EF-S lenses can be mounted on EF cameras. Press the shutter button for funny sound. You can mount a 2X extender on your 1DX alone without a lens. And you get an error message when you press the shutter button. Or remove the battery from your 1DX and you can't even focus your lenses manually. 'Sorry, that's neither sexy nor professional…' I completely agree. But no, Canon won't ever do that again. Not with FF MILC, because... Because what? Because we all have our excuses for not reading manuals?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just copying my thoughts from another thread, here they may be a better fit.

What if the Canon's 'sexy' solution is a EF-compatible medium format camera. Imagine that the rumored EF-X mount is actually a medium format mount. EF-X lenses will work as medium format lenses covering the whole sensor (say 50Mp), EF lenses will produce slightly cropped images (say 36Mp) and EF-S lenses will only use 22Mp. Actually some EF lenses may work ok at the full size.
maxresdefault.jpg

Upvote 0
No, they can't – not unless you physically modify them. Point being, Canon uses structural design to prevent inappropriate lenses from mounting.
I expected something different, but I don't know why.... You skipped a few things I mentioned. But I'm really proud that I could tell you new things about your camera....:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Well what I told about my Mommy was just a sort of irony, but since she died please don't call her a liar.

EF-S lenses can be mounted on EF cameras. Press the shutter button for funny sound. You can mount a 2X extender on your 1DX alone without a lens. And you get an error message when you press the shutter button. Or remove the battery from your 1DX and you can't even focus your lenses manually. 'Sorry, that's neither sexy nor professional…' I completely agree. But no, Canon won't ever do that again. Not with FF MILC, because... Because what? Because we all have our excuses for not reading manuals?

If you manage to defeat the extra tab on the EF-S lens, you can mount them on FF cameras. You'd get severe vignetting, to be sure. But the majority of EF-S lenses do not take advantage of the design capability to protrude further into the light box than lenses for FF cameras can. The only time you would have mirror clearance issues with some EF-S lenses is when the wide angle lenses are at less than about 12-13mm focal length.

Upvote 0
If you manage to defeat the extra tab on the EF-S lens, you can mount them on FF cameras. You'd get severe vignetting, to be sure. But the majority of EF-S lenses do not take advantage of the design capability to protrude further into the light box than lenses for FF cameras can. The only time you would have mirror clearance issues with some EF-S lenses is when the wide angle lenses are at less than about 12-13mm focal length.
Thanks for the clarification! I never tried, only heard about this... but don't plan to try. Hacking non-compatible lenses may not be a good idea...:)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I expected something different, but I don't know why.... You skipped a few things I mentioned. But I'm really proud that I could tell you new things about your camera....:)
You didn't, but thanks anyway. Your idea is severely flawed, but like most people you seem to have difficulty admitting your mistakes.

Upvote 0