Canon CPS Germany/Europe is changing their membership qualification system

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
A few days ago I received an e-mail from Canon CPS Germany, that they are changing their membership qualification system to a system of points.
I suppose this is regarding to CPS Europe, too.

Until now you needed at least two semi/professional bodies and at least three L lenses to sign up.
Right now they have changed this to a system of points where even consumer bodies, EF-S lenses and speedlites get points.
For example: a 5D3 is worth 235 points and a EF 40 STM 15 points.

Depending on your overall number of points you can achieve different levels of membership with different advantages.
Here are some of these advantages in Germany (other countries might have a different system)

• red (starting from 0 points)
    • priority support helpdesk (only)
  • silver (500 points)
    • priority support helpdesk
    • 5 days repair
    • discount on maintenance services
  • gold (1000 points)
    • 3 days repair
    • free loan unit if repair takes longer
    • 1 free sensor cleaning per year and body
  • platin (1600 points)
    • 2 days repair
And the best of it: this service stays free of charge.

For further details please refer to your local CPS homepage.
For Germany this is http://www.canon.de/canon_cps/

Correction: The new link is https://www.canon.de/pro/canon-professional-services/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
A few days ago I received an e-mail from Canon CPS Germany, that they are changing their membership qualification system to a system of points.
I suppose this is regarding to CPS Europe, too.

Until now you needed at least two semi/professional bodies and at least three L lenses to sign up.
Right now they have changed this to a system of points where even consumer bodies, EF-S lenses and speedlites get points.
For example: a 5D3 is worth 235 points and a EF 40 STM 15 points.

Depending on your overall number of points you can achieve different levels of membership with different advantages.
Here are some of these advantages in Germany (other countries might have a different system)

• red (starting from 0 points)
    • priority support helpdesk (only)
  • silver (500 points)
    • 5 days repair
  • gold (1000 points)
    • 3 days repair
  • platin (1600 points)
    • 2 days repair
And the best of it: this service stays free of charge.

Thanks Maximilian, this is a very useful information !

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
It's probably e European-wide change - CPS Italy is now following the same rules. Just, don't know why, it's not computing my 1000+ points correctly...

FOUND: it imported my registered products, but to obtain the point there are new fields to be compiled - i.e. where the product was bough. Until all fields are filled, points are not assigned (they are displayed grayed).

Thank you for the tip.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
don't know why, it's not computing my 1000+ points correctly...

FOUND: it imported my registered products, but to obtain the point there are new fields to be compiled - i.e. where the product was bough. Until all fields are filled, points are not assigned (they are displayed grayed).

Thank you for the tip.
Thanks, LDS, for mentioning the point above. I came over that, too, but forgot to mention it in my initial post.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018

sorry, but this link / german site show me old system only (as per April 2010). I also cannot find list how many points each piece of gear is worth, not even on European/english language CPS site?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
sorry, but this link / german site show me old system only (as per April 2010). I also cannot find list how many points each piece of gear is worth, not even on European/english language CPS site?
From the FAQ:

How many points does my kit get me?
Simply sign up and begin adding your products to find out how many points your kit could get you. You don’t have to finish your registration to discover how many points your equipment is worth - just come back later and finish off to receive your points.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Canon USA’s CPS program has had the points qualification system for several years now.

Yes, I know!

It seems that they're now starting to synchronize this system.

Not much synchronization. There are notable differences.

The points awarded are much different.

If I am reading the description correctly, there is no charge for the various levels of service, only qualifying points. That is a huge difference from CPS in the United States.

On the other hand, the European system limits users to one sensor cleaning a year, while CPS USA has upped their maintenance for cameras and lenses to five per year for Gold members and 10 for Platinum.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
From the FAQ:
How many points does my kit get me?
Simply sign up and begin adding your products to find out how many points your kit could get you.
You don’t have to finish your registration to discover how many points your equipment is worth - just come back later and finish off to receive your points.

Yes saw that. But I would like to see the full list for my country in advance so I can see whether it might be worth for me to register or not. Ideally as .pdf for download. I dont want to register and give Canon all my data for free and do all the work to fill in everything only to find out that my total is 99 points ... :)

Oh well, maybe Canon manages to update their websites over the coming weeks or months.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Not much synchronization. There are notable differences.
The points awarded are much different.
Hope Canon will not differentiate points for different EU countries, otherwise they may run into an EU anti-discriminatory investigation.

Overall I find this approach much more equitable and fair than the previous requirements. Ideally one should get equal points for every Dollar/Euro spent on original Canon gear (at authorized re-sellers), no matter what camera, lens, speedlite, grip or battery it was. That would also nicely reward early adopters who paid full price, contributing much more to Canon's oligopolist-level profits than folks who bought at rock-bottom sales prices or refurbished etc.

Upvote 0
Yes saw that. But I would like to see the full list for my country in advance so I can see whether it might be worth for me to register or not. Ideally as .pdf for download. I dont want to register and give Canon all my data for free and do all the work to fill in everything only to find out that my total is 99 points ... :)

Oh well, maybe Canon manages to update their websites over the coming weeks or months.

I signed up for CPS because of servicing times. When you need to get your gear serviced, you will choose certified Canon partner who is probably also servicing for CPS. That means they will do all CPS orders before yours because those have SLA while yours does not have one. I waited for my first repair over two weeks.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0