Rumors flying in on the Nikon FF mirrorless

Apr 23, 2018
yes. realized it likely is a mockup.

going a bit OT now, but just out of curiosity i looked at Nikon D850 control layout. There is an AF-ON button (for BBF), but none for AE-Lock as opposed to D500 and D5 which do have both buttons (AF-ON and AE-L) - as I would have expected.
1585_D850_back.png

Nikon D850 rear view as per Nikon website.

keep in mind that the D850 no longer has a dedicated AE-L / AF-L button, so if you need to lock exposure, you will need to assign another button such as the joystick to do that
https://photographylife.com/

why would Nikon do this - especially on a full-sized DSLR body with more than enough space for control points? really weird.

considering this, the mockup mirrorless image (Z6/Z7) may be not far from the truth. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
yes. realized it likely is a mockup.

..why would Nikon do this - especially on a full-sized DSLR body with more than enough space for control points? really weird.

Actually, I like the D850 getting superfluous buttons away from that thumb control area. Only 1 button there is really needed.
AF-on/lock or AE-lock or you can program it to do both or either with the half press of shutter button being the complement.
Many of my other bodies have 2+ buttons back there and I find it's not a benefit. For any type of shooting I do the programmable single button with programmable SR half-press function is ideal.

A smart man once said something like, "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler"

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
AF-ON and AE-Lock are 2 separate functions, i prefer having them on 2 buttons. in a situation when i need one or the other or both functions i would hate having to menu dive and re-program a single button every time.

bad enough, when there is only 1 shared button on tiny entry level gear, but inacceptable to me on higher end, big body cameras.

but ofc YMMV. will be interesting to soon see control layout on Nikon mirrorfree cameras.

Upvote 0