Existing EF lenses on mirrorless

I like the elegance, or is it inevitability (?), of the Nikon solution for existing F-mount lenses on the Z-mount bodies.

Maybe I’m being oversimplistic, but wasn't this the only obvious method?

"Of course Canon will stick with EF lenses on mirrorless" is often quoted/prayed for, but how...

Sticking to EF, on the soon to be announced Mirrorless, will produce a geometrically compromised optical result, the extra distance (removed for the 'convenience' of mirrorless) is part of the design. So this extra distance can/must be added back in by an extender.

1. Will Canon stick with an EF-to-EF adapter?
2. Have the new III-series lenses been (secretly) optimised to cope with the shorter focus distance of proposed mirrorless?
3. How long before we see a Z-to-EF adapter to use Canon glass on the Nikon mirrorless?

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I like the elegance, or is it inevitability (?), of the Nikon solution for existing F-mount lenses on the Z-mount bodies.

"Of course Canon will stick with EF lenses on mirrorless" is often quoted/prayed for, but how...

Sticking to EF, on the soon to be announced Mirrorless, will produce a geometrically compromised optical result, the extra distance (removed for the 'convenience' of mirrorless) is part of the design. So this extra distance can/must be added back in by an extender.

1. How does removing that extra distance make the camera more convenient? What do you mean by convenient? Lighter body? Maybe. Smaller overall camera/lens combo? Nope.
2. How does replacing that extra distance (the exact same extra distance) with an adapter vs having that exact same extra distance in camera cause optical problems? It doesn't.
3. Why assume the new FF body will be one of those thin things like Sony and Nikon? Mirrorless does not mean the camera has to be thinner. That's like saying that since Ford built the Model T that every car must forever be the same size as a Model T.

I think Canon will have a full size DSLR style body because they are just better for big heavy lenses in my opinion. Canon may also issue a thin bodied FF camera. (two different body styles.) Who knows? It looks as though Nikon has a messed up release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Canon will have a full size DSLR style body because they are just better for big heavy lenses in my opinion. Canon may also issue a thin bodied FF camera. (two different body styles.) Who knows? It looks as though Nikon has a messed up release.

Unlikely, but may well be a good idea that FF mirrorless is the same size as DSLR.

They definitely won't have 2 different styles supporting EF lenses.

I'm not currently on the R&D distribution list, so just my 2c.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

It’s certainly the simplest method, if the mount changes. Sony did it for a to e, Nikon is doing it for f to z, canon did it for EF to EF-m. If they change mounts, I’d agree an adapter is likely, unless they want some fancy all-in-one solution with a telescoping mount.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If they change mounts, I’d agree an adapter is likely, unless they want some fancy all-in-one solution with a telescoping mount.
The previous rumor indicated that Canon had a 'sexy' solution to the issue of mounting EF lenses on a FF MILC. If that rumor actually originated at Canon, that 'sexy' solution is probably a basic adapter included for free.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The previous rumor indicated that Canon had a 'sexy' solution to the issue of mounting EF lenses on a FF MILC. If that rumor actually originated at Canon, that 'sexy' solution is probably a basic adapter included for free.

Ouch , this is Canon we're talking about. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say a basic adapter included in the price of the camera ? ;)

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I hope "sexy solution" is some sort of mechanism that allows for EF lenses to be mounted at their normal flange distance (i.e. 44mm) and "special" EF lenses for mirrorless that are mounted at a shorter distance (e.g. 16mm like Z-mount) - so basically the mechanism brings these special lenses more inwards into the mount, while the traditional EF lenses remain locked in place at 44mm - that has to be the "sexy solution", right?!

Upvote 0