There will be no mirrorless camera body announced ahead of Photokina

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Some product specs can be tweaked and changed in 6 months if need be. Most people don’t understand how Agile product development and iteration works ;)

And this is why I say "wait for the production model" before criticizing the release.... they may have the software bugs with the AF system sorted out by then.... You expect to get useful criticism on a /beta release, and they did....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
WilliamJ clearly said A73 is gold standard for specs never said Sony is gold standard for cameras. Sounds like you have issues with comprehension skills.

True, Specs don't don't take photos. Specs helps to get better pictures with ease and often saves time with post processing. e.g. instead of taking 3 shots and to process that in a software to get a picture with good dynamic range that can be achieved with one shot in a camera that has better dynamic range. Canon fan boys can never understand these things. So don't even try to understand that.

Skin tones, I have been using A9 and A7R3 for last 6 to 9 months and I have no complaints on the skin tones or colors on the Sony models I am using. I process pics to my liking using PS

Menu, unlike Canon and Nikon Sonys have more custom buttons and it is fairly easy to customize the buttons and menu . I have nothing to complain here either.

Yep from your dum post it is so clear you are not defending Canon. It it pretty foolish to assume that people who are not using Sony Cameras are commenting. Just because you have not used them. You fan boys have closed your eyes and swearing the world is dark. It is not dark just open your eyes.

His remarks are not silly it is your response that is silly and not thought out. IMO all fan boys (not just Canon, that applies for anything) are just dum heads which appears to be synonymous in your case.

Now before you say I am a troll, I have invested more in Canon than Sony. I did not buy a Sony out of excitement, I bought Sony with hesitation. In fact even today if Canon can release competitive cameras I would get rid of Sony. It was Canon's attitude of not even willing to compete forced me to buy a Sony mirroless camera with lots of hesitation but today I am happy with them I also bought a few E mount lenses to go with them. Today I grab the Sony Cameras more often than 5D4 because they are better tools for me and I enjoy using them. The only reason I still have Canon is 600 f/4. I have started to get rid of my Canon stuff at this point because I have no hope Canon will ever compete especially when they gain market share with lackluster cameras. It is just Canon' luck, marketing and their strategy of pretty giving away cameras works in their favor. I have explained Canon' strategy here

The Sony Cameras A9, A7r3, A73 are not just specs on paper as most Canon and Nikon fan things. They are serious tools. By no means I am Sony fan. Like I said above if Canon can deliver a camera that competes head on with a7r3 (5DsR is not that camera. Yes I have used that and felt thank God I did not buy this crap instead rented to see how it performs. Couldn't stand the noise and worst DR) I will buy in to that but there is no hope.

Specs do not make better pictures and specs making something the "Gold Standard" is just a matter of opinion, not fact. His statement clearly meant that Sony is the "Gold standard" in the context of the post. Context means everything when it comes to comprehension. One sentence usually does not.

Specs absolutely do not make good photos. Neither does that little extra dynamic range. It doesn't make things easier either. Great photos are made by a variety of factors and I consider composition and lighting to be the biggest factors. Again, context. You Sony fanboys always scream about dynamic range.

I don't assume that some people posting who criticize Canon and praise Sony (over and over) don't use and have not used a Sony or particular Canon cameras. That is fact. Just because you do does not mean everyone else does. Like your Sony? Great! You actually use one. Somebody commenting about a camera being the "Gold Standard" that has not? Yeah, okay. Again, context. He's not the only one who comments and has never used it. BTW: There are people here who have used it and found it not satisfying and also found that some of the specs are just hype.

No other competitor until now, except Leica, as TonyPicture points out. Not nearly in the same market. Tell me, is the Leica a better camera than the Sony? Sorry, I'll just check the spec sheet to find out. Not having used either one, and having never seen either in real life, I guess my assessment of the Leica would absolutely be valid... just looking at the spec sheet. :rolleyes:

Specs don't mean crap when it comes to great photos. Otherwise, those great photographers from the past would no longer be considered great. Their specs didn't get those photos. Their composition, lighting, and post processing skills did.

So my point was, and is, that the spec sheet warriors can whine about specs all they want. Most of them have never touched the "Gold Standard" and if they did they wouldn't know what to do with it anyway. Getting the camera they say is better based on specs isn't going to make them better photogs. Saying Canon won't make a competitive camera? Well, that remains to be seen.

Yup, I am dum (Twice. It's dumb, silly). BTW: My spelling and punctuation isn't properly spec'd either. That didn't stop me, though, from criticizing your specs even though I have never seen or used your brain.

Yup. I am a fanboy. I actually chose that screen name out of sarcasm. However, Canon's specs work out just fine for me.

I'm too dum to call you a troll.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
These are kind of sad times being a Canon user. I've stopped all purchases a while ago (lenses, etc.) to see what they have coming to the table in terms of more up-to-date camera bodies with competitive features/specs. But still nothing. Not even a vague announcement that they're working on something and when the targeted release date might be.

I've never had so much trouble giving away thousands of dollars before lol. Oh well, I'm sure Sony would be happy to take my money though.

Keep staying quiet Canon....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
These are kind of sad times being a Canon user. I've stopped all purchases a while ago (lenses, etc.) to see what they have coming to the table in terms of more up-to-date camera bodies with competitive features/specs. But still nothing. Not even a vague announcement that they're working on something and when the targeted release date might be.

I've never had so much trouble giving away thousands of dollars before lol. Oh well, I'm sure Sony would be happy to take my money though.

Keep staying quiet Canon....

Yup. Sony would be more than happy to take your money.

Having trouble giving away Canon gear? Send me a PM. I'll pay postage... as long as what you have is L glass and a 5D Mark II or better. Well, and would be nice too.

A spec sheet causing all this hand wringing? Why? Just take photos.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Yup. Sony would be more than happy to take your money.

Having trouble giving away Canon gear? Send me a PM. I'll pay postage... as long as what you have is L glass and a 5D Mark II or better. Well, and would be nice too.

A spec sheet causing all this hand wringing? Why? Just take photos.

For me it's the video side that's lacking. I know, you are probably going to say "so buy a video camera". But I say, why? The A7III is great at both stills AND video. To get the same features from Canon I have to buy a 1DX Mark II or separate cameras for stills and video. This is where I feel Canon is very far behind and not competitive in the current market. I had 3 Canon cameras up to about a month ago. Now all I have left is a 6D Mark II with a 24-70 f2.8L II, 100mm f2.8L and 70-300 f4-5.6. Probably wouldn't be that much of a loss from this point to switch. Though Sony glass is stupidly expensive so additional costs will be necessary to acquire everything that I would want.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
For me it's the video side that's lacking. I know, you are probably going to say "so buy a video camera". But I say, why? The A7III is great at both stills AND video. To get the same features from Canon I have to buy a 1DX Mark II or separate cameras for stills and video. This is where I feel Canon is very far behind and not competitive in the current market. I had 3 Canon cameras up to about a month ago. Now all I have left is a 6D Mark II with a 24-70 f2.8L II, 100mm f2.8L and 70-300 f4-5.6. Probably wouldn't be that much of a loss from this point to switch. Though Sony glass is stupidly expensive so additional costs will be necessary to acquire everything that I would want.
If you're serious about video the A73 isnt a great option. No built in NDs. No on body XLRs. Awful ergonomics. You can kind of get around those things by purchasing a frankenstein rig with an external sound recorder, ND filters and step up/down rings (have fun changing them quickly in the field) etc, but really if you are serious about video, rent or buy a video camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
These are kind of sad times being a Canon user. I've stopped all purchases a while ago (lenses, etc.) to see what they have coming to the table in terms of more up-to-date camera bodies with competitive features/specs.

same here. Not buying Canon mirrorslapper stuff any longer. And not buying more crop stuff either.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I wouldn't tell you to buy a video camera. I try not to tell anyone what to buy. Not my money. :) I don't do video at all so can't comment on any of that. I used to have a 70D and I did a little video. Very little. I thought it was great, but I'm no pro trying to make money on video so I have no idea what you guys need.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
How did Nikon fail? The Z7 seems great. All the reviews are mostly positive.
As far as Canon. They need to step it up and dethrone Sony. I hope they also do something for the Pros. Like a big body with built-in grip and big screen.

Reviews by people who didn't get early access to it are not positive. They only have specs and marketing fine print to read. And what they are reading is not great. 5.5 fps without locking AE at first exposure, single slot, XQD only (for now) and a puny buffer compared to same-priced SLRs are not exactly warming hearts right now.

It's not a dud. It's just not mind-splittingly awesome.

See attached.

- A

Attachments

• Mirrorless launch.png
    Mirrorless launch.png
    651.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I could really use a EF 35mm f1.4L... but I feel like I can't buy it because once again... due to Canons complete silence about their plans, I have no idea what's going to happen with the EF mount.

EF L lenses?

They will either:
  • Work exactly as well as they currently do on a modern FF body with DPAF, or...

• It will work better than that because they've improved something about DPAF.
This notion that EF is about to die or won't be fully supported on the new mount implies a fundamentally different focusing technology is coming. Who honestly believes that?

Adaptor or no adaptor, it will work brilliantly. EF is not going away. That was probably Canon's first written requirement for this new body when the whole process started.

Canon is in a completely different boat than Nikonians moving from F mount.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
EF L lenses?

They will either:
  • Work exactly as well as they currently do on a modern FF body with DPAF, or...

• It will work better than that because they've improved something about DPAF.
This notion that EF is about to die or won't be fully supported on the new mount implies a fundamentally different focusing technology is coming.

Adaptor or no adaptor, it will work brilliantly. That was probably Canon's first written requirement for this new body when the whole process started.

- A
This is my dilemma. Do I sell my remaining FF Canon gear and switch to Sony, or trust that the new Canon mirrorless is coming and will support my L glass without compromise and build out my lens collection while I wait for the new body.

Decisions decisions.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
This is my dilemma. Do I sell my remaining FF Canon gear and switch to Sony, or trust that the new Canon mirrorless is coming and will support my L glass without compromise and build out my lens collection while I wait for the new body.

Decisions decisions.

Why wouldn't EF lenses work? No one has explained this to me. The easiest sell Canon has with this new system is to court existing Canon SLR owners, who are expecting EF compatibility. Done.

Presuming it's thin mount and adaptor*, it will be a simple electronic passthrough. It should work identically to DPAF.

*If they go full EF mount instead (unthinkable, but might be a second body option sold alongside a thin mount mirrorless), EF works natively (again) via DPAF.

I'm completely lost on why EF won't work and work brilliantly with FF mirrorless. Please explain this to me.

- A

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Why wouldn't EF lenses work? No one has explained this to me. The easiest sell Canon has with this new system is to court existing Canon SLR owners, who are expecting EF compatibility. Done.

Presuming it's thin mount and adaptor*, it will be a simple electronic passthrough. It should work identically to DPAF.

*If they go full EF mount instead (unthinkable, but might be a second body option sold alongside a thin mount mirrorless), EF works natively (again) via DPAF.

I'm completely lost on why EF won't work and work brilliantly with FF mirrorless. Please explain this to me.

- A
I don't think the argument is whether or not it will work, but whether or not there will be any compromises. More of a concern to me is spending thousands on EF glass then finding out the new camera uses a newer mount that offers an advantage over EF. Either way, I'm sure EF will physically work with any new camera.

Upvote 0