Is the new Canon full frame mirrorless called the EOS R?

Jul 28, 2015
Launching an entirely new mount with no new lenses, because the entire back catalog of existing EF lenses is fully compatible would be an unprecedented power move.

People have been assuming it will be an R-to-EF adapter. Maybe these early models have option of 2 adapters that fit to the body? So on the face of it, the camera rolls out with an EF mount, which is basically a mount that protrudes the required flange distance for EF lenses to work. But there are a set of internal connections that enable the entire mount to be removed and an R mount inserted as and when the R lenses become available?
Maybe this will be a factory retro-fit because of the weather-sealing required.
Once the R lenses come out the bodies will be available in R or EF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If ANY of this information from unknown sources is true, it doesn't necessarily mean no new lenses for a new mount. Rather, these unknown sources are simply not aware of any lens announcements at this time. If Canon can keep all this mirrorless stuff so secretive, I'm sure they can cover up the fact that some new lenses are coming.

But it's a 'compound tell' (aka obvious resultant) at work here:
  • Full EF mount = no need for new mirrorless lenses
  • Thin mount = there must be new lenses + an EF/EF-S adaptor
Which is why everyone is obsessing about the mount. It's the biggest secret for Canon in, what -- decades?

- A

Upvote 0
People have been assuming it will be an R-to-EF adapter. Maybe these early models have option of 2 adapters that fit to the body? So on the face of it, the camera rolls out with an EF mount, which is basically a mount that protrudes the required flange distance for EF lenses to work. But there are a set of internal connections that enable the entire mount to be removed and an R mount inserted as and when the R lenses become available?
Maybe this will be a factory retro-fit because of the weather-sealing required.
Once the R lenses come out the bodies will be available in R or EF.
Or maybe the RF mount has the same mounting ring as an EF but RF lenses protrude well into the camera housing to get a lower flange distance (i.e. the mount is not at the end of the lens, but part way up the barrel to make up that flange difference). It could mean that the camera housing doesn't save size, but some RF lenses could be more like pancake lenses on the body so the mounted size is reduced (for lenses where that's possible i.e. wide angle, slow aperture). EF-S protrudes into the housing somewhat and the lenses are built so they won't mount on EF mount cameras - I wonder if they could do the same with RF but have a more pronounced protrusion into the body?

If this were the case, then weather sealing shouldn't be impacted, mount adapters wouldn't be needed, and the same size saving options could be possible. The only caveat here would be no using an adapter to mount mirrorless lenses from other systems to the Canon system (not that Canon would mind), unlike Nikon's mirrorless which now has the lowest flange distance and should be able to mount anything once adaptors are built.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
EOS M, R- why not just keep going through the alphabet? :)

Now, what does R stand for? Reflex (ironic), Resist (as in resist change), Resolution (not with 28MP, Retails for less than Sony?

None of these are very good but that’s all I can think of before I have my coffee. :coffee:
It stands for “Retro”. They’re going back to the breech lock.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
IMO, this sounds like some patents we have seen in the past where the EF mount would / could be used by two different lens types EF and a yet to be named other. Perhaps the RF mount is simply the same as an EF mount, that accepts EF lenses, and also accepts newer "RF" asynchronous protocol lenses that haven't been developed yet.
It's entirely possible.

Upvote 0
If this takes EF, an LP-E6, and is similar in size to an M50 (but I'd assume thicker for the EF flange requirements?) then this could make a perfect backup/secondary camera for me. That could have a really nice niche alongside Canon's current offerings.

I'd rather have it with a larger battery. Nikon's CIPA rating for the Z7 is less than 20% of the D850 and it can use the same battery.

Upvote 0
If it's really 1080p@60 , then afaiac it's another piece of garbage from Canon. Canon's intention above everything else is to protect their more expensive line video cameras. Canon can go F themselves.
Could not agree with this more. There's no real reason they can't do 1080@120, shoot the z6 can do that. Dead in the water if they don't enable 120fps. Please don't screw this up Canon!

Upvote 0