Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
On the contrary. "RF 35mm f/1.8 M IS" - that implies there's no IBIS unfortunately, doesn' it? I'm disappointed. I was hoping to eventually buy it and mount my 24-70 on it and make it stabilised. The only faint hope is in that 'M'. What is it, 'M'? An RF-mount lens also mountable on EF-M? That doesn't add up.

No, actually it doesn't imply there will be no IBIS :). From what previous rumors have come up with, the "M" for this lens is a new designation for "Macro" in which a macro would need the greater functionality of in-lens IS. Also note that the kit lens doesn't have IS even though the EF 24-105 F/4 L has IS, meaning that lens will most likely rely on IBIS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The 32mm f/1.4 M lens is a big tell for me. I personally haven't used the M series cameras and frankly thought of them as 'low-end' or 'consumer' cameras. Yes, same APS-C as my 80D :) But apparently Canon sells a whole lot of them and they're very popular overseas.

But I now can see an evolving strategy for Canon: the M series is the new Rebel, the R series is the new xD. The xxD cameras, APS-C, may not find an equivalent per se in the new line-up -- do we need a mirrorless pro-sumer APS-C camera? So the various M series cameras hit various price points in the consumer market (and maybe a bit above that for more serious hobbyists), and the R series cameras hit various points in the pro market (and made a bit below).

The xD, xxD, and Rebel cameras continue to go forward as long as demand is there; I'd expect Rebels to start to disappear first. I'd expect the 1DXm2 to be around for quite a while until (one day) we see an equivalent R (I'll call it the "1R"). The 5D gives way to a "5R" equivalent, and the 6D gives way to a "6R". The 7D disappears unless Canon wants a high end APS-C mirrorless.

The EF-M to RF adapter then allows a hobbyist with an M-series camera to buy RF glass for the day they move up.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Its likely translated to Japanese from Chinese and then to English, so the terms are going to end up misleading people. It always happens that way.
Just out of pure curiosity, why Chinese? Leaks from a Chinese Supply Chain Source? I don't think they'd manufacture pricey stuff like this in Taiwan or China.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Roger states that even Canon said the two lenses are the same. But are we 100% certain? Roger said of the IS unit: "These are self-contained units that we generally don’t disassemble." I know this is wishful thinking (about IBIS), but what if Canon updated this lens with dual IS capability?
Well, if you find any such difference, contact immediately R.C., since he writes "If you think there’s an optical or performance difference, please contact me about some Tennessee Beach-front property I have for sale."

But that's really off-topic here (I don't like the new whiter look, looks like a Sony lens, like a copy of the copy).

Upvote 0
Wow, this took me by surprise. If this holds true Canon goes into the mirrorless market heavy handed.

This camera must be really amazing if they think people will pay >1k $ for lenses for it. 28-70 F2 and 50 F1.2 are definitely not going to be typical prosumer lenses when it comes to price range.
The 28-70 f2 will be the hot item.To have an extra stop for a general purpose lens is a wet dream for many. No need for 28 1.8, 35 1.8, 50 1.8 unless your goal is weight. Great journalism lens. Short zoom for sports. If the R camera is close to the Sony A7 II & II, Canon just brought back all the people who bought Sony cameras but were still using EF lenses. Expect lots of used Sony A7's on the market soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So are all the lenses a "roadmap" or a day one thing? If they are out of the gate, that is pretty good of a lineup. I assume they are a going to be out day one or closely following. As others have said, I'm also interested in what makes an R lens different and what advantages it brings on an R body that cannot be attained otherwise, assuming it shares the same EF mount.

Canon doesn't historically lens roadmap publicly like others. Partially, this is because they've had the stability of a huge (established) EF mount ecosystem for so long. But with EF-M I don't recall a roadmap being presented (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Now it's entirely possible that Canon doesn't have the higher end sexy bits (f/1.8 Macro, f/2 zoom, f/1.2 prime) available at day one but wanted to do an 'in production but not yet available' announcement. That would add substance to the platform at launch, kick some sand on to Nikon's launch, and keep the Canon faithful fired up.

But when the line items get 'named' like this in a launch document, they overwhelmingly happen. So it's less of a roadmap and more of a 'coming attractions'.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But I now can see an evolving strategy for Canon: the M series is the new Rebel, the R series is the new xD. The xxD cameras, APS-C, may not find an equivalent per se in the new line-up -- do we need a mirrorless pro-sumer APS-C camera?
Maybe M100 = Rebel/xxxD and M5 = xxD?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The 28-70 f2 will be the hot item.To have an extra stop for a general purpose lens is a wet dream for many. No need for 28 1.8, 35 1.8, 50 1.8 unless your goal is weight. Great journalism lens. Short zoom for sports. If the R camera is close to the Sony A7 II & II, Canon just brought back all the people who bought Sony cameras but were still using EF lenses. Expect lots of used Sony A7's on the market soon.

Or EOS R might just be spec'd like a 6D2 and the YAPODFC folks will howl like banshees. We'll see.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So are all the lenses a "roadmap" or a day one thing? If they are out of the gate, that is pretty good of a lineup. I assume they are a going to be out day one or closely following. As others have said, I'm also interested in what makes an R lens different and what advantages it brings on an R body that cannot be attained otherwise, assuming it shares the same EF mount.

I heard a rumor that the kitchen opens on Tuesday...

dietguidelines.jpg

;):p

(Note that I’m not saying who’s sitting down to eat...)

Upvote 0
An f/1.8 Macro? Almost all 1:1 macros stop cold at f/2.8 I thought.

If it's a macro, I wonder if it's potentially only 1:2. Or has that crop feature of the inset illumination around the front element.

- A

Who knows? But if you think about it, offering a macro lens in even f/2.8 is ridiculous. No rational shooter uses f/2.8 for their depth of field when using it for close-up shooting. Having f/1.8 is just as useless as f/2.8 for real macro shooting. On the other hand, in the same way the 100L macro makes a decent portrait lens when shot at f/2.8, I would think a 35 macro would be a nice general-purpose lens with an option to shoot at f/1.8.

Of course, I'm not just making guesses, I'm guessing at rumors... so I'm happy to be corrected once anyone knows an actual answer.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Maybe M100 = Rebel/xxxD and M5 = xxD?

Can we talk about the mirrorless body naming?

Worried about the initial body just being the EOS R (like EOS M's original body) and it gives us zero tell on future good/better/best segmentation.

For instance, if it comes out, is called EOS R, has spec somewhere between 6D2 and 5D4... what's the next FF mirrorless body going to be called? EOS R2? Wil that be a different spec'd price point or just a sequel?

Curious if they will try this same naming game plan as EOS M (R5 / R50 / R100) when there are so many 'high end' single digit lines (1-series, 5-series, 6-series, etc.) that don't fit into that format well.

- A

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

The new RF 28-70mm f/2L is really something, I agree. The question is: will it be as huge as the Leica SL 1:2.8-4/24-90mm Vario lens? Despite it is much lesser fast, it is a really hefty piece of a standard zoom (but an impressive performer).

Upvote 0
I heard a rumor that the kitchen opens on Tuesday...

dietguidelines.jpg

;):p
lol due seriously, I've maintained the EF mount was reasonable and likely and I agreed with the reasoning. And yesterday I re-iterated that which you keep ignoring. I don't get where you think I have this bet position it was a new mount. I don't. Even yesterday you admitted it was reasonable based on the rumors to think it could be a new mount, or not. So both agree both outcomes are in fact, well possible. So while I would have teased you for you staked the position of it being EF a bit, if it didn't turn out this way as you made it very clear that was your first choice, it was a bit tongue in cheek because I know you don't know for sure.

I see both arguments for-against it. But yes, if it turns out it is an EF native mount, I'll admit you did say that was more likely.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
For instance, if it comes out, is called EOS R, has spec somewhere between 6D2 and 5D4...
Independent of the naming scheme, I now suspect the EOS R will be closest to a 6-series level. It’s looking more like native EF mount capability and the thicker body that goes with it, which means people bought into FF DSLRs and L-series lenses may have less incentive to upgrade. That suggests a line aimed at EOS M and APS-C DSLR users looking to go FF, and that in turn suggests a $2K body-only price point.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
lol due seriously, I've maintained the EF mount was reasonable and likely and I agreed with the reasoning. And yesterday I re-iterated that which you keep ignoring. I don't get where you think I have this bet position it was a new mount. I don't. Even yesterday you admitted it was reasonable based on the rumors to think it could be a new mount, or not. So both agree both outcomes are in fact, well possible. So while I would have teased you for you staked the position of it being EF a bit, if it didn't turn out this way as you made it very clear that was your first choice, it was a bit tongue in cheek because I know you don't know for sure.

I see both arguments for-against it. But yes, if it turns out it is an EF native mount, I'll admit you did say that was more likely.
Oh, I agree...that’s why I added the bit about not saying who was sitting down to eat... :)
(In fact, even though he wasn’t initially invited, I think the most likely dining guest is AvTvM/fullstop...and he’ll need at least three servings, if not a full murder.)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

+1. An f/2 zoom (if true, not a typo, etc.) is cocaine-catnip level spec trolling here. 'I have the bestest/latest hotness' types that have been moronically buying in to each gen of A7 are screaming into pillows if this lens is real.

Because they'll buy into EOS R.

And then Sony will offer an f/1.8 zoom the size of Rhode Island.

And they'll come running back.

You know, to own the Canon people. :LOL:

- A

Upvote 0