Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
I'd expect 4K with autofocus but with crop. Finally, there will be a lot of people unhappy about the video capabilities, either because of crop, framerate, bitrate, etc... I think it is safe to say, it will be good video but not competing the Cinema EOS

I can see things like high bitrate and C-log being left out for the higher priced EOS R camera coming out in the future (A7RIII/Z7 competitor). It would be a mistake if Canon did 4K cropping again (looking at you 5D Mark IV, and M50), but the BIGGEST mistake would be for them to disable DPAF when recording in 4K. As much as it would suck, people can live with a crop factor when recording in 4K, but contrast only AF in video is almost unusable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Not-at-all-bold prediction: Canon will not put some racecar sort of spec into a 6-series level camera for $2k.

And remember, the A9 was a technical showhorse and not a working camera. It had a 5 fps mechanical shutter, for the speedier stuff up to 20 fps you needed an e-shutter -- and it was problematic. Not shocked at all that the III generation of the A7 line can deliver top advertised fps through a mechanical shutter.

Bleeding edge performance -- like 1-series performance -- in a mirrorless rig is surely years away. I'm guessing that Canon will build up from the bottom with a 6-series mirrorless and then a 5-series mirrorless of some sort before they ever dream of a 1-series mirrorless setup.

- A

From everything I read, though, there was nothing especially problematic about the a9's e-shutter. Did you hear differently? It didn't work with flash units, which bummed a lot of people out, but that's all I know.

Understandable to not have a blazing fast e-shutter in a $2K body, but if Canon doesn't put one in their $3,500-$4,000 "5 series-ish" pro body coming next year, I'll be pretty mad ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I've been waiting to make the move to full frame for a long time. A full-frame version of my 70D was what I was hoping for, and it basically arrived in the 6DII. Between lack of funds*, an off-chip ADC and AF points clustered near the center of the frame, I decided to wait to see what might come later. Here's hoping the EOS R has:

1) Current (or new) Generation Sensor (on-chip ADC, DPAF)
2) Fully Articulating Touchscreen
3) 7+ FPS (with AF tracking)
4) Accepts my EF lenses
5) Reasonable battery and EVF performance

Pretty much anything else** is gravy to me. By the time I have any money scraped together, I'll either get a 6DII for dirt-cheap, or the long-term street price will have settled down on the EOS-R. No rush for me...( low funds notwithstanding, I still enjoy the results from my 70D).

* Damned litigious ex...
** Okay, I admit I'd really like to try a good eye-AF. :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not convinced the "M" in M.ADAP has anything to do with EOS M mount. It's possible that it's just an EF to EF-R adapter that goes with the new mount, just like the EF to EF-M adapter when the EOS M was released. Perhaps the "sexiness" that was rumored is just the built-in filters.

Also, whatever camera or lenses it is for, if it has those slick rear drop-in filters (or possibly is a fixed filter for each adaptor, which seems nuts), I had a question:

We use 52mm DI filters on the superwhites for a few reasons if memory serves, but one is that the front elements are ginormous and we don't want to have to buy 100-150mm diameter circular filters to cover for them. So Canon nicely put in the 52mm DI option for (I thought) most of them.

But those are only possible in a weather sealed lens because I believe most of those front elements are weather sealed. The problem is that a lot of lenses, including L glass in more pedestrian focal lengths (16-35, 24-70, etc.) requires a front filter to achieve complete weather sealing on a lens -- either the front element is not inherently sealed or the threads themselves (if left naked) are a path of fluid/dirt/dust ingress.

So here's my question: if these new adaptors indeed have filters in the back, don't we still need to front-filter most of our lenses anyway just for weather-sealing? If so, why bother with this filtered adaptor idea?

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
[First, I'm gonna call the new mount EF-R (though it could be RF, or Henry, or In-Your-Face-Nikon-Z)]*

*If nothing else, Canon won't have to start the "XXX Million EF Lenses Produced" tally over again.:p

EDIT: Okay, it's probably called RF, if Nokishita is rarely wrong, and that's what they're posting. It's gonna suck to have to start that lens production volume number over again, though... ;)

They don't have to start the number again. Seeing as new EF lenses are being released along with the RF lenses, Canon clearly has no plans to slow EF lens development anytime soon. So if anything, Canon may just combine numbers and state "XXX Million Lenses Produced" to incorporate the new RF lenses, EF-M lenses (if they are not already doing so) and PL mount cinema lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I can see things like high bitrate and C-log being left out for the higher priced EOS R camera coming out in the future (A7RIII/Z7 competitor). It would be a mistake if Canon did 4K cropping again (looking at you 5D Mark IV, and M50), but the BIGGEST mistake would be for them to disable DPAF when recording in 4K. As much as it would suck, people can live with a crop factor when recording in 4K, but contrast only AF in video is almost unusable.

Agreed - A lot depends on the memory card. Its safe to assume it is not CF. Canon seems to align things with the CF Association that pretty much dropped CFast and moved to CFexpress (that is too new for Canon standards). So SD card it is, UHD-? I think we can safely assume SDexpress is too new too.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
From everything I read, though, there was nothing especially problematic about the a9's e-shutter. Did you hear differently? It didn't work with flash units, which bummed a lot of people out, but that's all I know.

Understandable to not have a blazing fast e-shutter in a $2K body, but if Canon doesn't put one in their $3,500-$4,000 "5 series-ish" pro body coming next year, I'll be pretty mad ;)

I'm not the ringer on this, but someone here surely is.

I always heard it was stadium lighting for sports giving it fits -- there was very odd color banding that occurred as each sub-segment of the frame was recorded. Here is the DPR take after Fro Knows Photo posted a 'problem' video:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7370859353/sony-a9-banding-reported-by-fro-fact-or-fiction

And there are jello shutter concerns to be spoken to.

I'm not opposed to an e-shutter at all, but only to do things I can't with a mechanical shutter. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for that once a year need to shoot 1/16000 or 1/32000, but I still want a full fps possible mechanical shutter to do general shooting.

- A

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

Feb 4, 2015
Agreed - A lot depends on the memory card. Its safe to assume it is not CF. Canon seems to align things with the CF Association that pretty much dropped CFast and moved to CFexpress (that is too new for Canon standards). So SD card it is, UHD-? I think we can safely assume SDexpress is too new too.

My guess would be SD UHS-II. The BIG question regarding storage though, will it have duel card slots? Current rumors are saying no though :/.

Upvote 0
Looks like there's a sea of opportunities to guess :) Just from a few abbreviations.
Why would the new mount be revolving? Maybe we'll screw it in and out to get different flange distances?..
I think "RF" may be "recessed flange". The EF mount is on the outside at 44mm, and the new mount is recessed and closer to the sensor. RF lens will extend into the body by 20 mm or so. Just guessing.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
As a current 6D owner and committed ametuer, here is my exhaustive list of requirements:

$2k launch price point (but I'll probably wait to either buy used, refurb or wait for holiday sales in 2019)
Sensor is clearly better than 6D2, but doesn't have to match 5D4
Doesn't catch on fire or cause rabies

That's pretty much it.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
i still believe it will take a simple adapter. Canon will not miss out ion the "small body option" :)

With zero slow/small lenses to avail itself of this small opportunity. :unsure:

I'm not saying that's proof it will be full EF, but it seems odd to launch a 'small' body with a slate of big glass like this. Surely you launch a 'small' platform with a pancake, a 35 f/2.8, a special 'designed to be small' zoom (i.e. 24-50 f/variable), etc. None of those are on offer here.

- A

Upvote 0
If so, why bother with this filtered adaptor idea?

- A

A filter in the adapter can be used with multiple lenses of varying front diameter. One could have one CPL that works on 72, 77, and 82mm etc front elements without having to own multiple sizes of CPLs or mess with step up/down rings that interfere with lens hoods. Same for NDs. As a video shooter this would really streamline switching lenses in the field. Basically for the same reason the cinema bodies have internal NDs.

What would be really cool would be if the ND in the adapter is a variable ND.

Upvote 0
It's fun to see plenty of Sony fanboy saying it's 5 years too late and Canon never caught up to Sony.

I'm not a fan boy but isn't competition good for everyone? They are just justifying their purchase.

As someone who half jumped over to Sony with the a7r3, I'm pretty keen to see what Canon are willing to put into their ff mirrorless cameras. I kept my Canon lenses and old 6d, so it really comes down to which option fits my uses best

The competition should be great for the options overall, if Canon do go all out. It'll worry the other manufacturers, which hopefully means more improvements

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I sometimes open my EF 100mm completely to f=2.8 to get an extremely short DoF. This can produce nice effects when shooting flowers/plants, if you want a more artistic, painting-like character. Of course, many macro motifs require an as big as possible DoF (or focus stacking), so in most settings a less fast lens would be all you need.

+1

Upvote 0