Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Lens mount again - why is there that ugly metal ring between the lens and the body as a native solution? Looks like adapter in itself. So - no direct EF lens mount, probably disappointment to many. OTOH it seems direct mount of the EF-R lens is possible onto the EF bodies? My question is - why? In something like 10 years, DSLRs might be a second league. Is that possible, that Canon absolutly does not consider loads of their EF lens out there as a dead-end, and that even future FF MILC migt be released with a native EF mount? That would mean, that no matter what kind of the FF MILC you are going to use, your new EF-R lens will simply fit ... without an adapter ....

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Getting away from specs, looking at the form of this body's design:
  • The grip is simply too small for my tastes -- looks Rebel-ish -- but it still looks deep enough (with the remove general bulk around the mirror) to possibly be more comfortable for fingertips than a Rebel SLR. Still, I don't want to slap my 70-200 f/2.8 on this thing. It too small to me.
- A

Same here, but dare we say the high end body will be bigger? I like to believe and hope so.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
For those who haven't followed this forum for many years, events like these don't come around every day. take a moment to enjoy the thrill of a new, possibly landmark, release. All the build-up, speculation, ideas...that's what this site is all about, and we're enjoying it at its pinnacle right now. :cool:

Agree, it's a big day, but the pics and a spec list are not the launch.

The launch presentation itself will be sexy and drop some knowledge we didn't know already. Looking forward to that!

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lens mount again - why is there that ugly metal ring between the lens and the body as a native solution? Looks like adapter in itself. So - no direct EF lens mount, probably disappointment to many. OTOH it seems direct mount of the EF-R lens is possible onto the EF bodies? My question is - why? In something like 10 years, DSLRs might be a second league. Is that possible, that Canon absolutly does not consider loads of their EF lens out there as a dead-end, and that even future FF MILC migt be released with a native EF mount? That would mean, that no matter what kind of the FF MILC you are going to use, your new EF-R lens will simply fit ... without an adapter ....

Looks like they went stylistically for silver on silver.
canon_10.jpg
A few reasons they might do this:

1) Give a clear visual indicator to go along with the poka-yoke of stuff not clicking together. Perhaps now with a 4th mount and enthusiasts possibly bringing 2-3 different mounts to a shoot, they wanted a color code sort of reminder that 'silver goes with silver'.

2) It's possibly just a stylistic move. I'd prefer black if I'm honest.

3) I'm reaching here as this out of my wheelhouse, but perhaps the two silver bits add up to the lost EF flange distance and could allow future RF lens designs to just quickly clone EF optical internals into RF specific lenses. In other words, a slice / cross-section through the silver bits could show all sorts of optical elements on some compact lenses, but on some 'EF clone' lenses, that same slice might just show air. It's possible the silver bits are the Sony GM 'lens tube' portion of some lenses. This is one way that on lenses that won't save any space at all (think pro zooms, glass longer than 100mm, etc.), Canon could easily make the same lens for EF and RF with one design team and a lot of shared componentry.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Same here, but dare we say the high end body will be bigger? I like to believe and hope so.

Has to be. Eventually folks who shoot white L lenses all day will want in on mirrorless and insist Canon resurrect their beloved 5-series / 1-series form factor. It's inevitable. They are not just being stubborn -- they're being practical. Big (unsupported) lenses needed the counterweight and grip of a larger body.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
As predicted, it's a boat anchor pickle jar shillelagh. Flyingskiguy saved me the trouble and posted this on page 4:

View attachment 180033

It is shorter than I thought it would be (looks EF24-105 ish), but diametrically it's a boss hogg. That could be a 3+ pound standard zoom, people. You might need the Lee SW150 setup (built for oversized / bulbous UWA lenses) to shoot landscapes with this thing. :LOL:
- A

Considering the front element does not appear to be bolbous, and the lens diameter, my bet is on 95mm screw in filters.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Considering the front element does not appear to be bolbous, and the lens diameter, my bet is on 95mm screw in filters.

Forgive me, I was making a joke about the SW150 because the lens barrel is so huge.

Yes, a front filter would be a near certainty on that lens. No reason not to.

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Has to be. Eventually folks who shoot white L lenses all day will want in on mirrorless and insist Canon resurrect their beloved 5-series / 1-series form factor. It's inevitable. They are not just being stubborn -- they're being practical. Big (unsupported) lenses needed the counterweight and grip of a larger body.

- A

Heck! A 28-70 f/2L needs a bigger body. lol

Upvote 0
We could run a poll - now who thinks it has an IBIS? Knowing Canon, I would be highly surprised, if there would be no negative surprise to moan about, so my take is - no, it does not have an IBIS. What I worry about more is an AF though. With the 5DIV, focusing in LV is not well suited for even slowly moving person. I hope that this new tech is at least one generation ahead ....

Upvote 0
I don't know that megapixels at this end are that important. Don't know exactly what Canon's initial price point will be, but I think Sony is toast. Look for Sony to move to medium format soon... where there will also be no competition in Sony's price range for bodies. ;)

Re: MP counts. If by "this end" you mean your needs, sure. But people with the 5Ds seem real happy. And decent modern glass has no trouble keeping up. So MP counts up to 50 or so make sense for folks who at least dream of really large prints. Which means the new Canon camera isn't speaking to that specific market. Perhaps not an enormous market, but a market. Add to that the folks who like ultralight primes, Leica M glass, and random funky lenses, and you're in business for the nonce. (Canon's 20mm flange distance presumably precludes Leica mount glass and much of the interesting Cosina glass. Oops.)

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I'm thinking we gotta have IBIS here and while I'm hoping for Cfast2, I'm pretty sure I ain't gonna get it. I haven't used SD cards in a while, but if the newer ones can keep up with the read/write speeds, I'm good with that. I just prefer a more robust card (structurally) SD cards make me too nervous with their small size and generally flimsy nature
Sony Tough SD cards land in October. The article is on Canon Rumors. CFast are unreliable we have hundreds of them with a high failure rate much higher than SD.

Upvote 0
Can solve that IBIS thing for ya:
No. NO! God, no! :) It's not present.

Reading CR news, gives me morning wood too.

The adapter thing is not sexa at all, but with the initial lens portfolio, looks like ok.

The body is obviously rebel like, but Canon always asked a lot for their cameras. My guess is $2399 to $2499. A no go for what I need.

I further wonder if they go crazy and make EVFless version like M6 -- R6? Don't scream me out of the room for this thought. ;-)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Re: MP counts. If by "this end" you mean your needs, sure. But people with the 5Ds seem real happy. And decent modern glass has no trouble keeping up. So MP counts up to 50 or so make sense for folks who at least dream of really large prints. Which means the new Canon camera isn't speaking to that specific market. Perhaps not an enormous market, but a market. Add to that the folks who like ultralight primes, Leica M glass, and random funky lenses, and you're in business for the nonce. (Canon's 20mm flange distance presumably precludes Leica mount glass and much of the interesting Cosina glass. Oops.)

Eh. I don't know. What does "really big print" mean? Sure, there's a market, but there comes a point where the market is so tiny it doesn't count when it comes to ultimate sales. While 30mp is probably far beyond what I need (20x30 max print in my world... which prints fantastically from my lowly 5D mark III), when does a 46 vs 30mp image really start to make a difference? I have no idea. Probably doesn't make any difference at all for the vast majority. Might make a big difference to somebody that crops a lot. So yes, my needs. Problem is that a lot of people who say they need it really don't. It's kind of like buying a car that will do 200mph. We can do that, but then never go above 90mph. So what's the point of the other 110 possible mph? There really is no point except to say that we can if we really want to. ;)

The high end camera will probably add megapixels, but for my needs? Don't care. There's a point where mp are just a status symbol and not a functional necessity. To be honest, 99.99% of what I do is on the web anyway, so I could get by on far less than what I have. That's probably true of most. Not saying higher mp would turn me off from buying. Not at all. Just that it isn't a big consideration. The bigger consideration for me would be whether the high end camera ergonomics were right. Others have different wants. Wants and needs are two different things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Eh. I don't know. What does "really big print" mean? Sure, there's a market, but there comes a point where the market is so tiny it doesn't count when it comes to ultimate sales. While 30mp is probably far beyond what I need (20x30 max print in my world... which prints fantastically from my lowly 5D mark III), when does a 46 vs 30mp image really start to make a difference? I have no idea. Probably doesn't make any difference at all for the vast majority. Might make a big difference to somebody that crops a lot. So yes, my needs. Problem is that a lot of people who say they need it really don't. It's kind of like buying a car that will do 200mph. We can do that, but then never go above 90mph. So what's the point of the other 110 possible mph? There really is no point except to say that we can if we really want to. ;)

The high end camera will probably ad megapixels, but for my needs? Don't care.
30+MP also provides lots more options for cropping ...

Upvote 0
Can we have:
- 4K60
- 10bit HLG (a way to record proper HDR)
- Dual SD UHS-II card slots
- Extremely Good IBIS
- Unlimted recording (nah 30min video limit is not ok (30min tax ends end of year in Europe anyway))

And stuff I'd like too but I never see anyone else ask about:
- H265 options for all framerates and resolutions (half bitrate, same quality, faster for YouTube 4K uploading)
- Wi-Fi multi-camera live editing on the touch-screen (for example you have any phone or a gopro like wifi camera pointing at yourself which you can switch to once in a while during the interview. Or switching to another Canon R camera during interview. Or switching among several cameras while live streaming sports or concert.)
- Wi-Fi and Type-C Ethernet and Type-C LTE dongles with bonding for reliable live streaming directly from camera
- Built-in wireless microphone receiving in camera. Whatever the wireless technology. Could also be wireless microphones that later sync the audio automatically over Type-C or over Wi-Fi direct in one-click with each audio track that can be adjusted in camera and video file saved.
- In-camera basic video editing. Use phone or tablet to have a larger UI when editing in-camera. Rendering the edits at faster than real-time.
- Type-C to SSD/HDD backups and live recording.
- 4x SD cards RAID in grip to expand storage and backup.
GPS? Am I the only one on earth to consider native GPS a must?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0