Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Apr 23, 2018
A lot of the comments in this forum makes me think of a newborn baby getting its first feeding by its mother early but crying because her tits don't fit its mouth perfectly.

more like "the baby being fed 5 years late" ...

and if EOS R indeed has no IBIS ... the crying will start in earnest.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
As I mentioned in the other thread the comparative view of the two cameras is not to scale (see the flash hotshoe)

I scaled the two so the hotshoe was the same.

View attachment 180023

wow, that mount ring/nozzle is ginormous. Looks like EOS R only had 12mm "real" flange distance and 8mm added by that extension tube.

Upvote 0
When I got up this morning I was surprised to see that the faithful never slept last night. Postings were fast and furious all through the night. This is the most excitement that i’ve Seen on the CR forum. Pent up demand must be tremendous.

I’ve been musing about whether or not it would be optically possible to build a 1.4x teleconverter for use on EF glass that could mount to an R mirrorless body without requiring the additional EF to R adapter. Any optics designers want to take a crack at this? There is about 20mm to work with to achieve the magnification and focus shift needed. :unsure:

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Honest curiosity: What does this have that the competition does not?

we don't know full specs yet. Advantages i see are:
30.3 MP sensor [instead of 24
DP-AF
-6 EV Autofocus capability [small print and caveats to be watched for]
fully articulated LCD, left-hinged as it should be, rather than just stupid tilty-flippy [Sony, Nikon].

Other than that I am not even sure its got everything the competition has ...
30.3 MP @ ? fps
IBIS ?
Dual card slot? Which card type/s ?
Eye-AF ?
Buffer Depth ?
Shots per battery charge (CIPA) ?
4k/Video specs ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
When I got up this morning I was surprised to see that the faithful never slept last night. Postings were fast and furious all through the night. This is the most excitement that i’ve Seen on the CR forum. Pent up demand must be tremendous.

I’ve been musing about whether or not it would be optically possible to build a 1.4x teleconverter for use on EF glass that could mount to an R mirrorless body without requiring the additional EF to R adapter. Any optics designers want to take a crack at this? There is about 20mm to work with to achieve the magnification and focus shift needed. :unsure:

I am sure Metabones etc. are all over it already ... :)

And yes, pent up demand for decent mirrorfree FF from Canon is high. Even though some forum dwellers have been and maybe still are in denial. :)

Upvote 0

Felix94K

EOS 6D Mark II
Sep 1, 2018
Looking at the pictures, there is a second switch below the AF/MF switch on all lenses exept the 28-70. So I think at least the other three have IS.

50_24-105.jpg
The 50 1.2 and 24-105 seem to be almost the same length. Very interesting since the EF 24-105 is about twice as long as the EF 50 1.2, even with an EF-RF adapter on the 50mm there would be a significant difference. I hope that means the 24-105 is smaller than its EF counterparts?

28-70_24-105.jpg
The 28-70 is definitely a lot bigger than the other lenses, although after hearing the f/2 I thought it would be even bigger.

“Mount adapter EF – EOS R” “Control ring mount adapter EF – EOS R”
So that textured Ring ist probably called Control Ring?

Considering that the 6D Mark II MSRP is 2600 USD I would be very surprised if this one is under 2k.

Attachments

• 28-70_24-105.jpg
    28-70_24-105.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I made the experience that a lot of very useful things seem to be "ugly" but ... once you have used them I fell in love with the functional AND aesthetic design!
Same for M50: It's no beauty at first glance but using it you understand why things are shaped the way they are and you understand that the camera is not going into the way when trying to take photos.
Like the old country song said, "Keep your raving beauty and give me old heavy duty."

Upvote 0
I just want to know why a new mount camera is being released with canons most expensive glass? Doe this imply ef will be around for 6-10 more years also all there cinema is ef I just got notification that my new 20 mm cine will be shipping soon. So will canon be abandoning those in the cinema line as well? I hope this thing has c fast.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
So much excitement here- Canon finally comes through with FF mirrorless to go after Sony’s mirrorless dollars and risks cannibalizing their own DSLRs, as the Canon exec told us earlier in the year. At least, that’s the logline for this dramatic story :)

The grip of the camera looks great- it’s unapologetically ergonomic in design.

I am disappointed about the scroll wheel though- that, to me, is an iconic Canon trademark and key differentiator with other brands- it just feels so nice. Maybe they’re saving it for a higher end model.

Key video questions are—

4K video specs—
FF no crop?
DPAF in 4K?
Clog?

If the first two aren’t true it will be a pass for me.

Build quality / Weather resistance
Drip proof? That must be a translation error- I would assume splash resistance.

Seriously, it’s wonderful to see all the giddiness on the forum this morning and looking forward to seeing what the true specs are. Thanks for being brave, Canon. It’s a big first step.

Upvote 0
The size comparison of Nokishita of the Canon EOS R with a 5D Mark IV is completely wrong!

I resized Nokishita's images to the correct size and overlayed it. The bigger red shaded camera is the 5D Mark IV. I used the hot shoe as the scale.
It also makes sense from physics that both 24-105 have the same diameter. The length is shorter exactly by the depth of mirror box the EOS R does not have.

The most impotent information for me is that the grip seams nearly the same size as the grip of a 5D Mark IV!
Very happy with that!

canon_10.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Felix94K

EOS 6D Mark II
Sep 1, 2018
hmmm ... i cannot see a second switch? I only see AF/MF switch
eos_r_11b.jpg

There are definitely two switches on the left side of the lens, I'm guessing that's the 24-105 because of the focus and zoom ring.

canon_12.jpg

And I'm prettty sure you can see a very small piece of a second switch, right below the AF MF switch on this top down view of the 50mm. The housing doesn't seem smooth in that area.

Upvote 0