Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If you are going to pick on a [first party body] to [first party adaptor] to [first party lens], see if it's out of plane mechanically I guess. But to knock AF speed/consistency/accuracy vs. DPAF on a modern SLR is nonsense.

- A

Yup. It would simply be a 12mm(?) extension tube with electrical pass thru connections. Electrons travel at the speed of light... well, close enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
They frikkin’ better be!

I was at a loss for words when I saw Nikon stop down before focusing. Absolutely useless
Sony does the same thing, I think. Stops down the lens to user set aperture while focusing. Isn't it how mirror less / live view work? How does canon M shows live view image? Does it show with lens wide open. That is not What you get is what you see.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Electrons travel at the speed of light... well, close enough.

Not even remotely!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

In a lens adapter it’s highly unlikely to make a noteworthy difference, but for the record board designers go to great lengths (pun intended) to match trace lengths for differential signals. That’s what’s happening when you see stuff like this.

FC4326D1-60A3-4E69-8677-49553B64E71D.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They frikkin’ better be!

I was at a loss for words when I saw Nikon stop down before focusing. Absolutely useless
not sure what you mean. In the video review (I think it was dpr's) it was mentioned the camera, like others before it, will stop down as a result of you closing the iris up to a certain floor value (in EVF mode anyway). This is the so called "what you see is what you get" EFV behavior that seems popular with the crowds today as it allows you to preview the exposure and DOF. So it isn't stopping down to focus as much as it is stopping down on your command up to a certain point before it will not continue to do so. After that threshold is crossed, it acts like typical DSLRs where it will close the iris further during exposure but return to that floor. It does this off course to allow more light into the sensor for AF. I'm not sure if the behavior is the same in Live View vs EVF. What it doesn't do, at least not that I'm aware of baring a setting not shown, is act like a DSLR where the iris is always wide open even in EVF mode. While that does allow more light for AF, it also kills the WYSIWYG aspect of EVFs that make them so loved among a pretty big crowd. For me, I'm fairly neutral on this. I suppose options are always better than being forced either way however.

Anyway I have not handled one so just going by what I've seen on these "reviews". So I could be wrong here.

Upvote 0
...if it doesn't match the 5D4 spec for spec, sure. But if it does, it's simply not a $1900 camera. Canon doesn't launch things that take the legs out of higher priced things in a clear-cut way. There are featured based exceptions: DPAF first in the 70D while the 7D line didn't have it, 4K in M50 while the M5/M6 don't have it, sure -- that's just a feature or two. But to clone the capabilities of a rig Canon currently sells for $3100 and sell it for $1900 simply isn't going to happen.

Consider: the Nikon Z7 is a D850 'clone' at a really superficial level... and they are asking for D850 money for it. Canon would do the same if they cloned the 5D4 into mirrorless.

I also think that we're reading way too much into a sealed 30 MP sensor body into meaning that it's a mirrorless 5D4. We simply don't know that yet.

- A

I suspect sensor size is not important in this instance. I see the EOS R and the EOS xxD as two separate but unequal platforms. The R platform points to the indefinite future. The xxD platform is becoming a legacy product line. Once, just recently, a FF camera that had a 30 MP sensor would sit near the top of the Canon FF product line. But, a new platform, need not conform to the the xxD's sensor/price relationship. I have a M50, and that camera has a lot of bells and whistles along with a 24 MP sensor. I paid $575 for a USA verson. Do 6 MP and true 4K cost $2,000?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Do 6 MP and true 4K cost $2,000?

No, of course not, but Canon's glad to charge you that much more for it. They've been doing stuff like that forever.

I'm not saying the EOS R is a $3,099 camera because that's the price of the 5D4. But it's surely not a $2k camera unless Canon leaves a lot of 5D4-level features out. They will not risk undermining the 5D4 unless (and this is a total guess) they have great market research saying that the average EOS R buyer will 1-2 really high end lenses.

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Canon Chairman and CEO:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Co...side-the-camera-box-Canon-chief-argues?page=1

Canon's Imaging CEO:

https://www.imaging-resource.com/ne...-m-enthusiasts-more-aps-c-lenses-new-printers

My take: If the EOS R will become a new platform for Canon and if Canon has achieved cost savings in its sensor production and if it has concluded that mirrorless cameras will become the predominant camera type, then the the EOS R will compare to, say, the 5D IV as a progressing technology compares to a declining technology. The new floor for Canon's high-end cameras may thus have a 30 MP sensor while also having a price meant for the 6D market segment. Canon intended to compete on price and technology.

I could not find the quote where a Canon executive stated the the Canon would no longer protect it's legacy product lines. Keeping that in mind, a 30 MP EOS R priced at $1,900 is plausible.

There may be some wishful thinking involved (I would like to see a price under $2K), but these are my thoughts also. Canon has to know that DSLR sales will decline whether they go into FF MILC both feet first or not. So why not do it, and at the same time establish that new floor? They would not only sell a huge number of this camera, but would create a painful new reality for the competition. Consumers love specs, and 30 MP looks far more attractive than 26.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What bias are you referring to?

By the way, a company does not defend product lines when it canninalizes them.
Your reference to 'legacy product lines' in your misquote of a Canon statement. But maybe I'm wrong…feel free to show me a quote from Canon where they refer to product lines that comprise the majority of their imaging revenue as 'legacy'. .

Upvote 0
I thinck the 3rd ring on the lenses is for tweeking the ND filter via the extra pins on the mount (8 on EF to 12 on R)

For the EF lenses this 3rd ring is on the adapter (We can see 1 of the 3 adapters has a ring).
I would guess it is for one of the exposure factors. Av, T, or ISO with a second factor controlled by the top body wheel, and the third fatctor floating with auto exposure. Could also be a programmable factor.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I am a bit disappointed about a RF mount and not native EF mount.
I do hope that a higher end EOS mirrorless will maintain native EF mount.
I that is not the case, that will be my third mount sidetrack since my Canon AE1P with FD mount......
I have a feeling that with these new L lenses, especially the 28-70 f2, that there may be gradual professional shift to RF lenses. It won't be over night, but over time. The Canon cameras with EF mounts will probably be phased out over a long period, until the evolution of their professional FF mirrorless line is fully developed . That's my guess.

Upvote 0
No, of course not, but Canon's glad to charge you that much more for it. They've been doing stuff like that forever.

I'm not saying the EOS R is a $3,099 camera because that's the price of the 5D4. But it's surely not a $2k camera unless Canon leaves a lot of 5D4-level features out. They will not risk undermining the 5D4 unless (and this is a total guess) they have great market research saying that the average EOS R buyer will 1-2 really high end lenses.

- A

I suspect Canon wants to defend it's market position more than it want's to defend the 6D II and the 5D IV. A strong move into the mirrorless market would achieve that. The R cameras seem poised to replace the 6D and 5D lines. Why would Canon have two cameras that directly compete with two of its other cameras? That's uneconomic. That could double Canon's R & D costs while sales remain flat after the product launch.

We shall see what Canon is doing soon enough.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Not even remotely!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity

In a lens adapter it’s highly unlikely to make a noteworthy difference, but for the record board designers go to great lengths (pun intended) to match trace lengths for differential signals. That’s what’s happening when you see stuff like this.

View attachment 180061

Yeah, I know. I worked 30+ years in the PCB industry where we made backplanes and multilayered boards (At that time, up to 70+ layers). Still, close enough for our purposes. It's a straight pass through. Let's not get too literal.

Upvote 0
I'm a Nikon shooter, but I am really interested in this. If it does indeed cost $1900, with 30MP that is very promising. Of course resolution isn't everything, but if it has say the high ISO performance of the Z6 (and the ISO 40000 displayed in the pic is promising) and even does 8-9 FPS I might end up with this over the Z6. Especially since there will inevitably be several F-mount adapters (that will probably work as well as and cost less than Nikon's).

Let's not understate how significant a time this is for the Nikon-Canon duopoly. Both Nikon and Canon are moving to a new mount, and adapters will be available for each company's bodies for either company's legacy lenses. Suddenly, every Nikon and Canon shooter is a free agent. Neither company has captivity over its existing customer base anymore - so rather than coast along by their legacy customers, they need to actually make their new mirrorless cameras stand on their own merits.

So here's a hypothetical as to what I think Canon's strategy could be. Canon, seeing that we are at a crossroads of technology not seen since the digital transition, has decided that it is going to wait for Nikon and Sony to show their hands. Then it simply goes down the speclist and one-ups both of its rivals, at a lower cost to boot. Nikon and Sony give you a 24-70 kit lens? Have a 24-105. They have 24MP? Here's 30. They want $2000? We'll charge you $1900. Profits be damned, Canon knows that in this critical moment it needs to win people over to its new system to ensure their future for decades to come. It's the razor-and-blades model, except it's body-and-lenses.

That admittedly seems a little far-fetched in a world where you would expect a product to be finalized months before its announcement, but maybe Canon waited until just now to finalize the design and this was one of several prototypes they prepared. These may not ship until next year after all. But I guess we'll see in a few days. I've already pre-ordered the Z6, but Canon has definitely piqued my interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How soon until Canon makes a full range of primes? For me, big/bulky zoomz.are a deal breaker.

Is the 4k video amateur 3840×2160 (UHD) or professional 4096 × 2160 (DCI 4K)?

Is there a native 4/3 and square (1x1) crop?

The Leica L-Mount has an inner diameter of 48.8mm and a flange depth of 20.0mm. The Canon R demensions are 54mm with a flange back of 20mm. The Leica M mount is 44mm diameter with a 27.8mm flange. A Canon R to Leica M adapter is possible.

It will take many years to build a set of primes comparable to today's given they are not going to solely focus on primes or zooms but a mix of both, hence gaps will be common, pervasive and similar to how sony started a few years ago. Interestingly, nikon seems more focused on primes first, but once you look at their roadmap, you see that next year they will also go mixed with the start of the "bread and butter" trio, 24-70, 70-200, both at f/2.8 and what looks to be a landscape lens lightweight, 14-30 f/4. In 2020 Nikon only spoils 3 lenses, one of which completes the 2.8 zoom trio (14-24 f2.8 refresh!!!) and keeps 3 secret only showing the slots for anybody to guess, but again we see what appears to be a mix. After that, the rest of the 8 slots all secret. Nikon had 4 mirrorless patents for primes, two of which are now "revealed": the 58 f/0.95 and the 50 f/1.2. The ones not "revealed" yet but for which there is a patent is the 36mm f1.2 and the 52 f/0.9mm. Some think the later is the NOCT but I don't buy that because in the lens designer interview, the Nikon design team was quite clear f/0.95 was not their end goal and hinted they'd go further still. The patent only supports that, and it could very well be lenses that fit one of those "secret" slots in their presentation.

off course I'd take any of these things with a grain of salt because they can always decide to swap things around due to technical, manufacturing, market/opportunity forces, or just because they feel they must.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Until this leak I was aiming to sell my one of my 7d mk1 and My 400 F5.6 to buy a 7d mk2 but now I don't know. Would you go for 7d mk2 or EOS R paired with a 100-400 IS II(maby with 1.4TC)? I mainly shoot birds and therefore do some heavy croping. I was waiting for an announcement for 7d mk3 but that does not seem to be anything that will arrive any time soon..

Upvote 0
Your reference to 'legacy product lines' in your misquote of a Canon statement. But maybe I'm wrong…feel free to show me a quote from Canon where they refer to product lines that comprise the majority of their imaging revenue as 'legacy'. .
What did I misqoute?

Canon's willingness to sacrifice current product lines, by cananabalizing features and price points, tells us everything we need to know about the DSLR: It's fated to die a slow death. This view does not express bias on my part. It's just a conjecture based on my appraisal of a reality that remains unclear. Having a bias entails the presence of a prejudice that disposes me to adopt certain positions. I don't much care if mirrorless displaces mirrors. But I also do not care if mirrors remain dominate. I'm trying to make sense of reality. Nothing more.

Upvote 0
Sony does the same thing, I think. Stops down the lens to user set aperture while focusing. Isn't it how mirror less / live view work? How does canon M shows live view image? Does it show with lens wide open. That is not What you get is what you see.
By stopping down to the exposure aperture for the live view or EVF image, any focus breathing or front/back focus is eliminated. Also, you get to see the actual DOF.

Upvote 0