Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

full HD 60p, HD 120p

When I first saw the photo this morning I was shocked by how FUGLY this camera looked from the front. The original 5D and the 5D2 had an aesthetic quality about them. The 7D and 7D2 were also decent looking. But this is shockingly fugly. But still I thought .. maybe its beauty is in the inside.

Then this -- "full HD 60p, HD 120p". Now what in **** does that mean ? It means forget 180p, Canon isn't even going to give you 120p at 1080 because they have their precious little cinemaEOS to look out for. So once again I say, screw Canon. They are done. And now with the announcement of an upcoming FF Panasonic we are about to enter a new benchmark in video quality, all while Canon is recycling 10 year old video technology. What a joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Now that we have a more complete picture (only 2nd-tier sort of specs haven't been nailed down), let's consider where we are.

In really broad strokes, what the Z7 is to the D850, EOS R is to the 5D4.

At a really high level / superficial sort of take, both new mirrorless rigs are somewhat clones of 'better' (i.e. $3k+) price point cameras in FF... with some strings attached.

The Nikon Z7 and EOS R both:
  • Went thin + adaptor

• Have impressive top line 'horsepower specs' (45x9 and 30x8 respectively)

• See the throughput drop somewhat dramatically in somewhat challenging conditions (45x5.5 for AE or 14 bit RAW, 30x5 for Servo AF -- which will likely be your AF choice if shooting at full burst)

• Offer one card only

• Lack eye AF

• Both are offering (or announcing the development of) some Ferrari-like super lenses for the new mount
And each offers a nice treat -- the Nikon gets IBIS, and Canon gets that disturbingly good low light AF claim.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hi there, recommended ISO settings in video mode (25k in FHD vs 12k in 4K) suggest there is a CROP in 4K.

My hypothedis comes from hands-on shooting experience with 5Dm4 4K and 5Dm3 ML RAW crop mode. In both cases it takes a full stop down in ISO to get similar noise levels vs. no crop.

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
I am still frustrated about the need for an EF adaptor. I am trying to think positive on drop in filters, and so, but damn I would have preferred a EF mount, and then of course accept, that newer lenses would have better and smarter functions (related to more contacts and different protocol) when mounted on a "R-series" than on my 6D.

And will Canon come up with a RF to EF mount? Will I be able to by new RF lenses and mount them on my 6D (with an adaptor...)

I simply hate the thought that my EF collection and my 6D will die the same way my Canon AE1P and my Canon and Tamron lenses with FD mount did during the late 80's when EF mount was taking over.

I still have a fragile hope that Canon will announce some more (positive) on the future for the EF mount and EF lenses.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
No IS, No Dual Slots, No Eye AF.
On the positive side, specs indicate <2k price.

5D4 sensor, DPRAW, 8 fps, and that filthy -6 EV focusing would disagree with that.

You can read this as a nerfed / limited version of the 5D4 on some specs, or you can read it as a 5D4 with a tilty-flippy, better lowlight focusing and a silent shutter.

I think they'll pull a Z7 here and ask for corresponding SLR price, which would be the 5D4's current asking of $3,099. Possibly less -- but not too much less -- as they'll make some money back on folks needing to buy RF lenses (which a lot of regular EF body buyers don't have to do each time they upgrade).

No Eye AF and no IBIS can come with a 2nd gen or larger spiffier body. But I'd be stunned at Canon asking for only $2k here. Don't compare to Sony. That's not how it works. Compare to Canon. For those horsepower specs, Canon asks for $3099 today.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So I'll say it. DPRAW + 8 fps seals it. EOS R is (kinda) a mirrorless 5D4.

If this is $2000, I'd be completely stunned.

- A

It's 5fps max with AF, and in fact 3fps max in focus priority. Most likely you won't have a live view feed in continuous drive. You'll get cropped 4K, or 4K with severe line skipping and massive rolling shutter. The EVF has a lower magnification than comparable bodies and I suspect that the resolution will be lower than the Z.

That's a very, very solidly sub $2000 body given the competition right now.

Canon has a precedent for releasing a cheap, compromised, but outstanding camera for the price : the M50, at least at its ultra-competitive European launch price of €570. Pricing may very well be Canon's trump card here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Gonna be a very interesting next few years to see what happens...I wonder if this is truly the beginning of the end of the DSLR era (or whether DSLR will stick around as the premier tool for pros/sports shooters)

That said - for me to be PERSONALLY interested in this camera, I was looking for two things: 1) removal of AA filter from sensor, 2)in-body stabilization. Looks like 1) is a no-go from the PDF, can't find anything on 2) but seems like that's a feature that would be touted if it indeed had it. Dealbreakers? Too early to say. But right now I see no advantage over 5D4/5DSR, other than perhaps a slightly smaller size. The price will make or break it, IMO...under 2K, this thing could turn heads (but I see a price closer to that of the 5D4 if I'm honest).

Lenses - that 28-70 f2 is certainly VERY intriguing, though...will they consider making an EF version of that lens??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there, recommended ISO settings in video mode (25k in FHD vs 12k in 4K) suggest there is a CROP in 4K.

My hypothedis comes from hands-on shooting experience with 5Dm4 4K and 5Dm3 ML RAW crop mode. In both cases it takes a full stop down in ISO to get similar noise levels vs. no crop.

Good observation. I was trying to find clues whether 4K would be cropped or not and this can be added to the list of increasingly strong clues :D.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Oh how the worm turns from yesterday's orgy of info. People were elated then.

I think we've come back down to earth a bit tonight:
  • No IBIS (by omission)
  • No Eye AF (ditto, but implied above by Canon News Guy)
  • Single card (again, not stated but implied)
  • Video folks don't have all the details yet, but 1080x120 didn't materialize
  • Battery life is better than Nikon but a big gap behind Sony
  • 8 fps... Unless you want to shoot burst with Servo AF :rolleyes:
EOS R is probably going to be great, but it you had a wishlist for specs (that wasn't bats-- unreasonable), at least one of your hopes probably just got dashed tonight.

But I'll reiterate: You can read this negatively as a nerfed or (more likely) hard-to-completely-deliver-in-mirrorless version of the 5D4 on some specs, or you can read it positively as a 5D4 with a tilty-flippy, better lowlight focusing and a silent shutter.

I choose the latter, but I brace for impact on price. Nikon just asked for full asking of the D850 for the Z7, and Canon may do the same vs. the 5D4.

- A

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And will Canon come up with a RF to EF mount? Will I be able to by new RF lenses and mount them on my 6D (with an adaptor...)

No. Not going to happen. RF lenses resolve to a shorter flange distance.

I simply hate the thought that my EF collection and my 6D will die the same way my Canon AE1P and my Canon and Tamron lenses with FD mount did during the late 80's when EF mount was taking over.

I'm just not buying any fatalistic takes on EF. EF is not going anywhere! Canon is just launching this new mount and will take a decade to get it where it needs to be to stand alone from EF. Over that time, Canon will continue to refresh EF glass.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Not sure if this is me getting confused... Under recording media it does not say UHS II but it says "• High-speed writing is supported when a UHS-I compatible SD card is used"

Under the Maximum burst it has this "High-speed (UHS-II)" Per that tabular column RAW buffer seems to be 47 with an UHS II card.

That obliterates the Z7, which is around 18-20 full RAW if I recall. Those are 45 MP files of course, but 47 x 30 >> 20 x 45. Canon did well here.

- A

Upvote 0
Nikon just asked for full asking of the D850 for the Z7

- A

Like Ken Rockwell said, the difference between the z7 and z6 is not meaningful. I don't think Nikon actually intends to sell a lot of Z7. Its purpose is to steer customers toward the Z6 ( Z7 is a decoy model for those familiar with the concept of decoy pricing.)

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I think we've come back down to earth a bit tonight:
  • No IBIS (by omission)
  • No Eye AF (ditto, but implied above by Canon News Guy)
  • Single card (again, not stated but implied)
  • Video folks don't have all the details yet, but 1080x120 didn't materialize
  • Battery life is better than Nikon but a big gap behind Sony
  • 8 fps... Unless you want to shoot burst with Servo AF :rolleyes:
EOS R is probably going to be great, but it you had a wishlist for specs (that wasn't bats-- unreasonable), at least one of your hopes probably just got dashed tonight.

But I'll reiterate: You can read this negatively as a nerfed or (more likely) hard-to-completely-deliver-in-mirrorless version of the 5D4 on some specs, or you can read it positively as a 5D4 with a tilty-flippy, better lowlight focusing and a silent shutter.

I choose the latter, but I brace for impact on price. Nikon just asked for full asking of the D850 for the Z7, and Canon may do the same vs. the 5D4.

- A

I should (and will) reserve judgment until a) an announcement is made and we get a price and b) I've had a chance to actually hold and use the camera.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
So they took a Canon 6D2, ripped out the mirror and tweaked it a little bit. Looks OK but it's definitely not revolutionary, just another incremental upgrade. I don't have a problem with a single card slot (99.999% of users don't need more either) but am a little disappointing not to see IBIS. Don't think I will be in a hurry to upgrade my current bodies to this one - doesn't really offer enough to warrant an upgrade from the last two generations of their DSLRs but it's a pretty decent camera in its own right and will sell well.

It's not a 6D2 at all other than having a tilty-flippy and one card.

6D2 doesn't have a 30 MP (presumably on-chip ADC) sensor
6D2 doesn't have burst higher than 6.5 fps
6D2 doesn't have DPRAW
6D2 doesn't have 4K

You know what does? A 5D4.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, looks like the a7 3 and z6 competition, but with higher mps. Keen to see what improvements are in the sensor compared to the 5dmk4.

Everyone must have $2k locked in the brain as the surefire 'must' that will happen -- that's the only way I can rationalize people saying that a camera with a lot of 5D4 spec/features is aimed at the Z6 and A7 III.

- A

Upvote 0
At this point, I’m just waiting to see the quality of photos this thing is going to produce. If they’re anything like what the 5DIV is putting out, and the price is somewhat reasonable, then I’d genuinely consider it to compliment my 5DIVs. Based on reading the specs from the PDF alone, I might be able to rely on the new mirrorless to attain the images I seek to get even more efficiently, and discreetly.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

Tempting at $750 ?

Not sure what price this has to sell at to compete with the Sony A7 III but without a native EF mount its going to have to be lower.

Adapters are a real pain if you want to switch through a collection of lenses, some with adapters and others without.

If a Canon user has to start again with a whole new range of native lenses then the switch to Sony is a realistic option now as there's little lock in.

The camera doesn't look any more beautiful than any other ... not exactly the iPhone X of its class ...

It will be very interesting to see how it fares in a very competitive marketplace ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0