Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

It's not a 6D2 at all other than having a tilty-flippy and one card.

6D2 doesn't have a 30 MP (presumably on-chip ADC) sensor
6D2 doesn't have burst higher than 6.5 fps
6D2 doesn't have DPRAW
6D2 doesn't have 4K

You know what does? A 5D4.

- A
Yeah, sadly. A 2 year old 5d4. No IBIS, no 120f at 1080p, no dual card slots, shitty battery life, recycled sensor. I regret to have waited so long for this ancient garbage. These specs put this camera below a73 And below Z7, in form and function. Enjoy your touchbar though...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

6D2 doesn't have DPRAW
6D2 doesn't have 4K

- A

I don't understand this reasoning at all. If I were to apply that logic I could say that :
The M50 has on chip ADC
The M50 has a burst mode higher than 6.5 fps
DPRAW is software so the M50 could have it :D.
The M50 has 4K
The R's battery life is only slightly higher than the M50
Etc, etc...
In a way you could say that it's a FF M50 with an EF grip and more dials and buttons :D.

We'll know soon enough how Canon will price this thing anyway. You're right that Canon doesn't always look elsewhere as a reference to set their prices (if they did the R would easily be a sub $2000 body), but Canon has just as much a habit of overpricing stuff as underpricing it (as the M50 or most of their recent lens releases suggest), so there is quite a lot of unpredictability here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
"Auto Focus range: EV – 6 to 18 (23 ° C at room temperature · ISO 100 with F1.2 lens)"

Just a question about AF up to -6EV which is a very desirable feature of the R camera.
How better is this rating compared to 5D4 which was -3EV with F2.8? (BTW. AF on 5D4 has been excellent in low light)
Does it mean that 5D4 has -6 EV at 3 stops lower, which is F1? and EOS R has -6 EV at F1.2? so overall, a bit (2/3 stop or so) better than 5D4?

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
AA filter on sensor. Hmm. That was a surprise. I was expecting it to be gone. Is there a reason for that these days? Does anyone else have it on their ML cameras?

I guess Sony A9 has AA filter. Reason is moire. I would expect a high resolution 5DsR equivalent Canon mirrorless with out AA filter. I also hoped Canon would do away with AA filter on this but they did not.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Canon likely had a few options available to produce but, like typical Canon, holds a bit short on the feature list because, you know, they'll sell them anyway and then they can dribble out updates and upgrades for years.

Since Nikon tipped their Zs out with an OK but not exactly drool-worthy feature set or performance there's no reason for Canon to do much better than a "me-too" product. I doubt we'll see much improvement in FF ML until things get a bit more serious in round 2.

In that regard, Sony is going to continue to lead the pack for now but Panasonic just might leap past Nikon and Canon in some respects, likely pro video chops.

Hopefully Olympus will do the same with their mystery ship in early 2019 tho they may have to spill some leaks to keep all the spotlights from shifting elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"Auto Focus range: EV – 6 to 18 (23 ° C at room temperature · ISO 100 with F1.2 lens)"

Just a question about AF up to -6EV which is a very desirable feature of the R camera.
How better is this rating compared to 5D4 which was -3EV with F2.8? (BTW. AF on 5D4 has been excellent in low light)
Does it mean that 5D4 has -6 EV at 3 stops lower, which is F1? and EOS R has -6 EV at F1.2? so overall, a bit (2/3 stop or so) better than 5D4?

The 5DIV's AF -3EV / f2.8 rating concerns its PDAF sensor (ie what you use when shooting through the viewfinder). The R's -6 EV concerns its on-sensor AF (similar to the 5D IV's AF in Liveview). Because they operate in such different ways it's best not to compare them directly. Besides those EV numbers don't mean much in practice. I've had camera with more conservative ratings that I found more reliable in low light than cameras with more ambitious ones. Proof will be in the actual pudding !

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Now that the excitement is starting to settle, the reality hits home -- whether I get this will depend on cost of the body and lenses and adapters (of course), DR of the sensor (not to be forgotten), optical quality of the two lenses I would be interested in initially (RF35 1.8 and RF24-105), initial experiences and reviews, including any first wave problems; how it would fit into my shooting needs.... in other words, golly it's nifty, but I'm still going to evaluate it using the usual real-world criteria.

One thing Canon has done with this release is make it less likely for me to jump ship for Sony or Nikon. However, a fail in DR might signal to me that it is time to move on after all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
We'll know soon enough how Canon will price this thing anyway. You're right that Canon doesn't always look elsewhere as a reference to set their prices (if they did the R would easily be a sub $2000 body), but Canon has just as much a habit of overpricing stuff as underpricing it (as the M50 or most of their recent lens releases suggest), so there is quite a lot of unpredictability here.

Don't get me wrong, Canon may shock me and offer a $2k rig here. It's a hybrid of a 6D2 and 5D4, but Canon historically doesn't dole out the FF sensor goodness on the cheap. They protect the price of cameras that have the good stuff.

If you could get a 5D4 sensor and image quality and a tilty-flippy for $2k instead of the $3099 5D4 asking price, I'd imagine Canon would lose a lot of 5D4 sales.

Perhaps that's okay if everyone buys 2-3 new RF lenses, though. That might cover giving these bodies away at a much lower margin. We'll see.

- A

Upvote 0
What the heck is up with all those af points though? Did they make every pixel an af point?

Mirrorless / Liveview AF points are a software construct mostly. The same camera could have 200 or 400 software AF points depending on how the algorithms are implemented, the UI, what the manufacturer wants to do, etc. It means strictly nothing in terms of AF performances. 5000+ AF points would actually be a UI disaster, so I don't think that we'll be able to directly interact with all those software AF points.

On the hardware side, Canon's DPAF is exactly that : every single pixel can act both as a phase detection sensor, and as an actual image pixel. It doesn't mean that 1 pixel = 1 af point, as you'd then have 30 millions AF points :D.

Upvote 0

suteren

C200, EOS R, M100
Aug 29, 2018

6D2 doesn't have DPRAW
6D2 doesn't have 4K

- A

so, they basically took a two year old camera and made it smaller. and the battery life is worse. personally, I don't mind the lack of IBIS, electronic stabilisation would be great for video (i didn't saw this in the specs). But the 1080/60 is just a disgrace, and if the 4k is cropped or crippled with line skipping, that would be just dandy. the "8fps" is basically useless without continuous af. the omission of eye af is definitely disrespectful. The $600 m50 has it. single card? not really something that i need in this kind of body, but it is just so annoying.

and i was not expecting miracle features from canon. just something they already have implemented in lower end bodies (eye af and electronic stabilisation), with 2018 refreshment of the video features (4k30 and 1080p120).

canon pulled a canon again.

Upvote 0
Everyone must have $2k locked in the brain as the surefire 'must' that will happen -- that's the only way I can rationalize people saying that a camera with a lot of 5D4 spec/features is aimed at the Z6 and A7 III.

- A

I might just be being too optimistic but I still think this is more a $2k (maybe $2.5?) level spec, with the higher MPs but lower fps. If this is Canons higher spec model, then the lack of dual cards, the lower fps with af and the somewhat unchanged (to be confirmed?) video specs from the 5dmk4 are a little disappointing.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong, Canon may shock me and offer a $2k rig here. It's a hybrid of a 6D2 and 5D4, but Canon historically doesn't dole out the FF sensor goodness on the cheap. They protect the price of cameras that have the good stuff.

If you could get a 5D4 sensor and image quality and a tilty-flippy for $2k instead of the $3099 5D4 asking price, I'd imagine Canon would lose a lot of 5D4 sales.

Perhaps that's okay if everyone buys 2-3 new RF lenses, though. That might cover giving these bodies away at a much lower margin. We'll see.

- A

I think that you're about to be even more shocked if Canon adopts the M50's pricing strategy. The M50 killed the sales of the M5 (which was more than 50% more expensive in Europe), and is probably killing the sales of most of Canon's DSLRs in the €500 range as well.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Canon has precedents for both outrageously overpricing stuff, but also insanely undercutting the competition and its own products, so it could go both ways.

Well actually, given what the R is shaping up to be, it doesn't matter how much Canon asks for it at launch, it's a sub $2000 body if not lower by next spring at worst.

The 5DIV is largely "protected" right now by its effective fps rate with AF, its longer battery life, its field-tested usability, its two card slots, etc. I think that it will be just fine. The 6DII may be hit harder, but that's what it deserves anyway. Also what matters is how much Canon gets per body. The R is looking like a very simple camera to make and assemble. No IBIS, a non ambitious sensor derived from what Canon was making a few years ago, etc... it looks like easy peasy for Canon's outstanding manufacturing capabilities. I'm expecting the degree of automation for making that body to be exceptionally high.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I should (and will) reserve judgment until a) an announcement is made and we get a price and b) I've had a chance to actually hold and use the camera.
(b) is very important to me. If I just wanted to get a perfect camera on paper, a Sony would knock it out of the ballpark, but based on my own experience, I far prefer using my lowly 6D2. It will boil down to whether the new Canon mirrorless is fun to use and is a competent a camera in my hands doing the type of photography I like. If I enjoy it and it takes good pictures, the price point is an unlikely obstacle; the bigger issue for me would be how many RF lenses to buy and which to just keep as EF -- not so much at launch, but as they trickle out.

I really hate lens adapters, though how well RF lenses actually work matter a lot to me. For example, if I grab the focus ring and twist, does work or feel anything like ring USM?). And, having a control ring would be pretty cool -- one thing I do enjoy about Sony GM lenses is the programmable control button on the lens.

Upvote 0

6D2 doesn't have DPRAW
6D2 doesn't have 4K

- A

I also initially thought the EOS R will correspond to 5D4. Now I feel it'll be like 6D2 but upgraded, and there will be another higher end model to serve as a mixture of 5D4 and 5DSr. If they allow to mount EF-S glass on it, it'll be another indication it's an advanced juicy model for those who upgrade from crops, not those who're looking to upgrade from 5D4.

Dual card slot to me is a borderline between pro/semipro and enthusiast level cameras from Canon.

I thought I'd upgrade my 5D4 to this new R thing, but probably I'll wait for the higher end version.The lack of IBIS alone would've been bearable, but no IBIS and no dual card slot make the new camera a lower grade than 5D4.

Upvote 0
Okay, I’ll bite now! I understand that (to quote Roger Cicala of Lensrentals) “expectations are a down payment on disappointment”, but for me the big issues are the 0.71x magnification of the EVF and the lack of a joystick to move the AF point.

Whilst we don’t know the resolution of the EVF, 0.71x would be by far the smallest of all the current full frame EVFs. If the EVF of the EOS R is only 0.71x (cf 0.78x on the gen3 Sonys and 0.8x on the Nikon Zs), does this also imply that it will also be lower resolution? If I’m going to be persuaded to part with my pentaprism viewfinder, I want to do it for the best possible EVF experience. Sorry Canon, not nearly good enough in 2018.

My other big EOS R gripe is the lack of a quick way to move the AF point when wearing gloves. Touch screens are fine, but I don’t want to have to take my gloves off in winter to use them (or the “touch bar”). I don’t think that the old fashioned “press af select and whirl the two control wheels” method will be very effective with “5,655 af points”.

Oh, and 5fps with af tracking is nothing special with 30MP resolution in late 2018.

Of course, I’m moaning about a camera that is not yet announced, no one (that’s talking) has actually touched and of which we don’t know the price. If it is a sub-2000k body, then most of my gripes go away....

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0