Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Sep 1, 2016
There’s some really toxic negativity in these replies already. I hate this stage of rumors - where people’s bonkers, unrealistic expectations don’t happen and they go in on a manufacturer for bringing the “wrong” product for them out. Absolutely no need for it. If you don’t want to buy it, cool. But saying things like “it’s crippled” or “it’s pointless” or worse is just dumb, and makes you look like a child who can’t understand that everything isn’t just for you.

Rant over - I’m excited for this. It’s interesting, new, and we still don’t have a full picture. I want to see how Canon present it, and most importantly, the images that come out of it. I’d expect a $2.5k price on this, sat squarely between the 6&5D.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
It would have been awesome if that gizmo could be assigned to control the AF point selection. That would have more than adequately made up for the lack of AF joystick. Now, you'll just have to trust the sensor to read out faces and focus on the right one with little outside help.

On the M50 you can use the back display or one of four quadrants of it as touchscreen to set the focus points absolute OR relative position + the zoom out button to center it. This is freely configurable.
Things work if you find the right settings and keep your nose away from the touch interface - maybe some nose surgery helps ...

Upvote 0
That means 4k cropped?
Think about it, if 4K is available with EF-S APSC size image circles, I guess 4K must be cropped, unless Canon allows for two types of 4K capture, i.e. full sensor pixel binning/oversampling with EF/RF lens and cropped mode with EF-S lens. Otherwise 4K must use a smaller area that is covered by the EF-S lenses. Considering this is Canon we are talking about, I believe that latter is more likely (that is, 4K does not use full sensor area). Though this is just my guess.

Upvote 0
It's 5fps max with AF, and in fact 3fps max in focus priority. Most likely you won't have a live view feed in continuous drive. You'll get cropped 4K, or 4K with severe line skipping and massive rolling shutter. The EVF has a lower magnification than comparable bodies and I suspect that the resolution will be lower than the Z.

That's a very, very solidly sub $2000 body given the competition right now.

Canon has a precedent for releasing a cheap, compromised, but outstanding camera for the price : the M50, at least at its ultra-competitive European launch price of €570. Pricing may very well be Canon's trump card here.

... and if you buy a RF 2.0 28-70 and/or RF 1.2 50 and if these are delivering great overall IQ people will upgrade sooner or later to the pro model R body so I am 100% with you: A low introductory price is a decision factor for a lot of people.

My experience with the M50 supports your statement: It's a lot of camera (in real use, not on the spec sheet) for the price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Think about it, if 4K is available with EF-S APSC size image circles, I guess 4K must be cropped, unless Canon allows for two types of 4K capture, i.e. full sensor pixel binning/oversampling with EF/RF lens and cropped mode with EF-S lens. Otherwise 4K must use a smaller area that is covered by the EF-S lenses. Considering this is Canon we are talking about, I believe that latter is more likely (that is, 4K does not use full sensor area). Though this is just my guess.
If crop is aps-c(1.6) then all is well as you can still get wide with aps-c lenses.

Upvote 0
looks like a great upgrade from my aging but great 7d. I will miss the big dial in the back tho.

What the heck is up with all those af points though? Did they make every pixel an af point?

If each pixel were an AF point you would have 30 million AF points :)

For phase detect you need two (=dual) lines of e.g. 200 single photosites with slightly different viewing angles of the incoming light which is the essence of Dual Pixel AF. Both lines show the same pattern if the focusing is correct like the old fashioned split view finder.
The imaging processor (or its AF part) tries to match the patterns of both photosite lines by varying the focusing of the lens while knowing in which direction to move the focus. The rest is a matter of programming. The M50 allows smaller regions or larger regions. In my experience the larger region AF "points" are faster, maybe because the patterns to compare are longer (e.g. two 400 photosite lines).

I think the 5k+ AF points is a marketing number with some relevance for some applications but the maybe 100 AF larger AF "points" in another AF mode are faster ... - just a guess from my M50 experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If crop is aps-c(1.6) then all is well as you can still get wide with aps-c lenses.
True, but then widest 4K footage you can get is limited to around 16mm equivalent (or 108 degrees, with a 10-18mm EF-S lens), which is probably wide enough for most people, but less than that is achievable with sony bodies. Having said that, 5DIV has a 4K crop factor of 1.74x, so I am not sure if EOS R will have the same spec.

Upvote 0
Yup. It’s sadly a no go for me dawg. No ibis, no 120fps@1080, no dual cards. It has some nice features, but it’s not worth me upgrading from my T7i. I’m going to either wait for the more professional body in the next 6 months, so probably go to the A7iii. Sigh, and I really wanted to stay with Canon

Hey, guy. Get with the program. Sony has been announced to be toast over and over.

The lack of IBIS and the long (20 mm vs. Sony's 9 mm) flange distance means that I'll probably be going that route, too. All the fun lenses I've been looking at (40/1.2, Loxia 21/2.8, 10/12/15mm Heliars) will probably never be available for Canon. And the lack of IBIS means paying for the IS system every time you buy a lens (and every time you take a shot in the (albeit slightly) compromised IQ).

Upvote 0
My experience with the M50 supports your statement: It's a lot of camera (in real use, not on the spec sheet) for the price.

I love the M50 and think very highly of it. At its European introduction price (I thought that it was a little more expensive than it should have been in the US), I think that it's Canon's best body release in years, comprehensively outclassing the competition. Nothing can touch its combination of features and ease of use at this price point. Thinking of it it seems that Canon is one of the few remaining players making a big effort in the entry-level, feeder cameras market.

The R could be Canon's feeder camera for FF mirrorless, but I think that there are a few issues. First, it's not going to feed that many higher grade cameras if Canon continues to have a few difficulties with their sensors' readout speed. Let's hope they'll get that sorted out but the 6DII was a blow to my confidence in them and that release is not going to help. And the lenses they're releasing at launch are completely dichotomous with the idea of an entry level FF camera, other than the 35mm f1.8. It's as if these L lenses are waiting for a body that Canon couldn't get out in time.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
There’s some really toxic negativity in these replies already. I hate this stage of rumors - where people’s bonkers, unrealistic expectations don’t happen and they go in on a manufacturer for bringing the “wrong” product for them out. Absolutely no need for it. If you don’t want to buy it, cool. But saying things like “it’s crippled” or “it’s pointless” or worse is just dumb, and makes you look like a child who can’t understand that everything isn’t just for you.

Rant over - I’m excited for this. It’s interesting, new, and we still don’t have a full picture. I want to see how Canon present it, and most importantly, the images that come out of it. I’d expect a $2.5k price on this, sat squarely between the 6&5D.
You are absolutely right, there are far too many "drama queens" on this forum, whining for "vital" specs whose absence turns the EOS RF into a piece of c..p.
Sad for them, since they'll miss a great camera!

Upvote 0
Fixed ISO 400 in bulb mode? what does that mean? that kills the camera for long exposure/landscape photography. Very strange limitation. Absolutely a no-go for me.
1535879708860.png
The fixed ISO is only for Auto ISO in bulb, if you want other ISO just set it to manual ISO then I think you will be ok.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
No IBIS but the RF 24-105 lenses also do not have lens IS, the EF 24-105 lenses do. Very strange! GPS is also missing (standard on 5D, 6D and 7D), I like to use GPS when I am on tour. Flash sync speed is not yet given. Does the R support flash with all shutter times - using the electronic shutter?
On the CR article on RF lenses, it does mention 24-105 has lens IS.

1535880890647.png

Upvote 0