Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Jun 9, 2017
So they took a Canon 6D2, ripped out the mirror and tweaked it a little bit. Looks OK but it's definitely not revolutionary, just another incremental upgrade. I don't have a problem with a single card slot (99.999% of users don't need more either) but am a little disappointing not to see IBIS. Don't think I will be in a hurry to upgrade my current bodies to this one - doesn't really offer enough to warrant an upgrade from the last two generations of their DSLRs but it's a pretty decent camera in its own right and will sell well.

A tweaked 6D mk II? eeh... EVF? 5000 AF points? -6 EV focus? 4K?
Yeah, it only has 1 card slot and similar fps (although 2 fps more is already a lot), but neglecting he substantial differences is a bit sloppy in my view.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What a pity, no IBIS. IBIS on a full frame sensor is not so easy and Canon obviously lacks the necessary skills (or patents). This is a severe drawback in relation to Nikon and Sony.
Single SD card, no 120fps, no IBIS, all valid reasons for Canon to give us a sub 2k price, but will Canon do it, oh boy;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Single SD card, no 120fps, no IBIS, all valid reasons for Canon to give us a sub 2k price, but will Canon do it, oh boy;)
...crappy battery life, cropped 4k with ridiculous bitrate, .. more reason to sub 2000$ - Its will be great camera to use, but In no way can compete with a7iii and Z6 with those specs. But will surely make many people looking for a FF camera for 1600$-1800$ ish budget quite happy. As a professional looking for a competent hybrid system for stills and video content, a7III still makes most sense, Z6 comes in second.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Fixed ISO 400 in bulb mode? what does that mean? that kills the camera for long exposure/landscape photography. Very strange limitation. Absolutely a no-go for me.
I think just refers to the ISO it sets when using auto ISO mode and bulb. If you set ISO manually you can have any ISO in bulb mode.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
So typical Canon. Nerf, Nerf, Nerf instead of going full-tilt, just for once! So many specs nerfed below even 6DII (not to mention 5D IV).

* No IBIS
* only 5 fps in Servo-AF ... now, when exactly do we need high fps ... in "one-shot situations" or when we are servo-tracking moving subjects?
* UHS-I SD slot; personally i don't mind the single SD slot, but i do consider UHS-I inacceptable in any late 2018 camera (even in the lowest powershot)

also note:
"-6 EV AF" has little to do with reality, basically just marketing BS
EV -6 to 18 (f/1.2, at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100, One-Shot AF)

But even if you buy the f/1.2 lens, you will be to manual exposure, because auto-metering is only down to -3 EV
EV -3 – 20 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)

In summary: below Nikon Z6 and way below Sony A7 III.
USD 1999,- is way too much for this thingie. If the body was more compact it would pretty much pass for what I'd expect a "full-frame Digital Rebel" entry level FF MILC in late 2018 ... @ USD 999,- retail ... but only with UHS-II or III slot.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I think just refers to the ISO it sets when using auto ISO mode and bulb. If you set ISO manually you can have any ISO in bulb mode.

it is the friggin' NERFED Canon "Auto-ISO" implementation, that has been the plague in Rebel and xxD class mirrorslappers for decades. I would not have thought they'd dare to implement this sh*t little piece of FIRMWARE code in an FF camera in late 2018.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Yeah, it only has 1 card slot and similar fps (although 2 fps more is already a lot), but neglecting he substantial differences is a bit sloppy in my view.

you may want to read the small print on that "-6 EV" [only available with f/1.2 lens]. Otherwise it is -3 EV. Also note that AE is only down to -3 EV.
Pure marketing BS. EOS R overall is lower than 6D II, basically a "FF Rebel". I'd consider it at 999,- no way at 1999,-

Upvote 0
Single SD card slot. It is not a pro-level camera like 5DIV. It is a prosumer camera like 6D2 with a better sensor. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It is a good camera, it's just not at 5DIV level.

Upvote 0
you may want to read the small print on that "-6 EV" [only available with f/1.2 lens]. Otherwise it is -3 EV. Also note that AE is only down to -3 EV.
Pure marketing BS. EOS R overall is lower than 6D II, basically a "FF Rebel". I'd consider it at 999,- no way at 1999,-
Wait a minute wait a minute, what spec of the EOS R is lower than the 6d Mark II? This looks to me has better spec than 6dii, some that are lower than 5div, and some unique features in its own.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
From other reviews I've read, cameras (eg Olympus) with IBIS seem to do a better job at stabilising hand held movie shooting.

Given that Olympus has no in-lens stabilised lenses, I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion...

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Wait a minute wait a minute, what spec of the EOS R is lower than the 6d Mark II? This looks to me has better spec than 6dii, some that are lower than 5div, and some unique features in its own.

just look at fps in Servo-AF
6D II: 6.5 fps
EOS R: 5 fps

and quite some more specs. EOS R is a "mirrorfree FF Rebel", nothing more. Also explains the User Control Layout without rear-wheel and no AF-point joystick.

Upvote 0
I love the M50 and think very highly of it. At its European introduction price (I thought that it was a little more expensive than it should have been in the US), I think that it's Canon's best body release in years, comprehensively outclassing the competition. Nothing can touch its combination of features and ease of use at this price point. Thinking of it it seems that Canon is one of the few remaining players making a big effort in the entry-level, feeder cameras market.

The R could be Canon's feeder camera for FF mirrorless, but I think that there are a few issues. First, it's not going to feed that many higher grade cameras if Canon continues to have a few difficulties with their sensors' readout speed. Let's hope they'll get that sorted out but the 6DII was a blow to my confidence in them and that release is not going to help. And the lenses they're releasing at launch are completely dichotomous with the idea of an entry level FF camera, other than the 35mm f1.8. It's as if these L lenses are waiting for a body that Canon couldn't get out in time.

I appreciate your analysis of the discrepancy between body and the high end lenses. I would add the RF 24-105 4.0 (I estimate it to ~ 1000 EUR) to the 35 1.8 macro ( ~500 EUR) as more or less "entry level" and think they are a very flexible combo for a reasonable price: All round focal length solution & "poor mans available light champion" prime.

The ultra fast zoom (my estimate ~2500 EUR) & prime (~1250 EUR) make sense for those who need high frame rates for action but they also are a must to freeze motion, availabe light photography under extreme conditions or shallow DOF applications. Photographers needing faster frame rates might check mirrorless with the entry level camera and a simpler body to be prepared if the pro R body will enter market.

My own experience: Bodies go, lenses stay!

Upvote 0

Effective fps with AF is an example. It's 3fps in focus priority mode, 5 fps in release priority mode. The 6DII's AF can theoretically perform both modes at 6.5fps, provided the conditions are right (luminosity, the lens' AF speed, etc.).
But these are just spec numbers anyway. We'll see exactly how it turns out in real life. Just don't expect miracles in continuous drive / AF (for example I doubt that we'll get a liveview feed in continuous drive mode, and that is going to be a lot more problematic than 1fps more or less here and there).

Upvote 0
1.Why ist ISO fixed at iso 400 in bulb Mode? Is that the native ISO?
2. What is Fv shooting mode?
3. Why does it connect to wft-e7? Thats the transmitter for 5diii (huge box under camera)
4. Why can we do unlimited dual pixel raw shooting but only 47 normal Raw files with UHS-II cards?

So glad they unlocked the dual pixel Raw feature with virtually unlimited focus points.
People often forget that for example focus points on m5 are just virtual clusters of the 24Million (ok slightly less because of the corners) af points on the sensor. This was probably just done because you can evaluate 24 million points at that required rate.
So more processing power + faster readout = more points

Upvote 0

and quite some more specs. EOS R is a "mirrorfree FF Rebel", nothing more. Also explains the User Control Layout without rear-wheel and no AF-point joystick.
I've just checked the 6dii manual and according to it the servo-AF continuous shooting speed is 4fps (Page 307, Servo AF for Moving Subjects), One Shot AF is 6.5 FPS, both are lower than EOS R's spec respectively.

Upvote 0

And how would you chose all those Af points with a joystick? I never used the joystick on 5d either because selection with the wheels is so much faster for me. Have you ever used touch and drag AF? For me this is the best method for quickly choosing an AF point. The extra touch strip for this is just brilliant in my opinion.

Rebel camera = Crop...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0