Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

Sep 17, 2014
You and I share a similar fear with the EF mount fading away. I own 16-35 v3, 35 1.4v2 , 100 macro, 85 1.4, 300 2.8 v2, 600 f4 v2, 1dxmkii, 1 dc, c200 and a few cinema lenses and a ton of cf and Cfast. They are releasing new ef lenses and it makes me wonder if they will keep two eco systems

My guess is that EF will remain for a long time in sport/wildlife segments, especially after seeing that Canon cannot even manage 8 FPS with full AF.

Upvote 0
I am glad to have the EF-S 10-22 and if the camera provides CA correction it will be definitely a good lens (very low distortion for ultra wides) with an effective focal length of 1.75/1.6 x 10 = 11mm.

Looking forward to use this lens again as well (Actually, I had the baffle replaced to use it on my 6D).

But your calculation seems odd. Provided the video crop will be 1,75x, the lens will give you a max eqFOV of 17,5mm (10mm x 1,75).

With regard to the large image circle of the 10-22mm, I’m interested if the stills crop mode will be “forced” with EF-S lenses or if it will be optional...? Also, the remaining MPix in crop mode will be few (~12MPix). :/

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Hi - you are right - my fault - of course you cannot mount RF lens on EF mount because of flange distance.
About EF lens future. I see Canon launches new EF lenses, but at some point in future, it will be doomed if new bodies (5 years from now or so) at not having EF mount.
And that whats annoying me. I see my lens investment as something to last 10+ / 15+ years from the time of purchase. I will still have my 6D 3-5 years from now. But will I by new expensive EF lenses (24-70 f/2.8 mk2 L) if it is not the future? - probably not.
So I am very curious about what Canon is up to on the EF mount. Time will show. In the meanwhile I will enjoy taking pictures with my 6D, and my nice little collection on lenses.

You and I share a similar fear with the EF mount fading away. I own 16-35 v3, 35 1.4v2 , 100 macro, 85 1.4, 300 2.8 v2, 600 f4 v2, 1dxmkii, 1 dc, c200 and a few cinema lenses and a ton of cf and Cfast. They are releasing new ef lenses and it makes me wonder if they will keep two eco systems
Well, as long as Canon has DSLR's and as long has Canon has EF lenses that are not available in RF, then there will be a place foe EF, or so it seems to me.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
That's a LOT of AF points. I have to think though that at that point it's a bit of diminishing returns, but this thing may be the new king of AF nonetheless. Battery life is a bit disappointing though slightly better than the Nikon Z and both will probably be sufficient in the real world anyway.

BUT, if it is indeed a single SD card, that is very disappointing indeed. Nikon at least has the excuse of the larger XQD cards as well as the promise of extremely fast CFExpress cards. A single SD is really, really underwhelming for a mid-to-high-end camera in 2018.

Otherwise, it looks like they've about achieved parity with the Sony A7III and Nikon Z6. Not quite the power play that I thought they might pull.
Good thing is not mid- to high end camera then.,,

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
So many people confused by Auto ISO and bulb mode. Think about it... How can a camera possibly automatically select ISO when it doesn't know how long the shutter will be open? It can't. So it selects ISO 400 if you've forgotten to dial in an ISO (i.e. left it in auto ISO). This is just a default value to rescue a bonehead move by the user.

The 5Div behaves exactly the same way.

TLDR; the camera is NOT limiting ISO in bulb mode.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ken

CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Hey, guy. Get with the program. Sony has been announced to be toast over and over.

The lack of IBIS and the long (20 mm vs. Sony's 9 mm) flange distance means that I'll probably be going that route, too. All the fun lenses I've been looking at (40/1.2, Loxia 21/2.8, 10/12/15mm Heliars) will probably never be available for Canon. And the lack of IBIS means paying for the IS system every time you buy a lens (and every time you take a shot in the (albeit slightly) compromised IQ).

The cost of lenses is definitely something to consider. Make sure you compare prices on Sony GM lens to equivalent Canon L lens. Last I checked they were about 30% premium over equivalent L lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
That 480mbps 4K has me very interested. We will see how it's implemented though. They may implement a massive crop to deter us from using it too seriously for the video features, even though the sensor and processing engine may be more than capable of producing very high quality results.

I will buy this if the following are true:
- 4K with little/no crop, 4:2:2 10-bit
- Dynamic range is at least 14 stops at base ISO
- It isn't priced the same as a 5DIV - I don't think it's appropriate to price it the same as 5DIV given the current competition. It could be more than a Z6/A7II, but not quite a 5D1V.

Something tells me this is their Z7 competitor though... I hope I'm wrong.

We will see. This is exciting.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
It sounds like it is cropped 4k in this camera again. Now let's see if DPAF works on 4k. I thought I had kept my expectations too low this time but even very conservative expectation sounds like a lot for Canon. I am going from Sure I am pre-ordering to well... wait and see. I guess even with the cropped 4k and no 1080p 120 fps this can still become a good vlogging camera because of the variangle screen

Upvote 0

ken

CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Don't get me wrong, Canon may shock me and offer a $2k rig here. It's a hybrid of a 6D2 and 5D4, but Canon historically doesn't dole out the FF sensor goodness on the cheap. They protect the price of cameras that have the good stuff.

If you could get a 5D4 sensor and image quality and a tilty-flippy for $2k instead of the $3099 5D4 asking price, I'd imagine Canon would lose a lot of 5D4 sales.

Perhaps that's okay if everyone buys 2-3 new RF lenses, though. That might cover giving these bodies away at a much lower margin. We'll see.

- A
My guess is they are going to shock you with a US $2200 price, but we'll know soon enough. ☺️

And if this is indeed their entry level FF camera with a low price, it will speak volumes about Canon''s interest in moving it's user base to mirrorless (and the the RF mount).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0