Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
You and I share a similar fear with the EF mount fading away. I own 16-35 v3, 35 1.4v2 , 100 macro, 85 1.4, 300 2.8 v2, 600 f4 v2, 1dxmkii, 1 dc, c200 and a few cinema lenses and a ton of cf and Cfast. They are releasing new ef lenses and it makes me wonder if they will keep two eco systems

Considering that all the Cinema bodies have EF mount options ( for the lower models it's the only option), I don't think that mount is going anywhere anytime soon. I'd wader that the 1D X line will stay around for a long time in EF, hence the new big white lenses being released. Plus, Video people love the EF lenses. The Panasonic EVA 1, a version of the SONY NEX, RED Cinema, and many of the Black Magic Cameras all have native EF mount options. Not to mention the amount of people I have seen filming on Sony's and GH5's and such with adapters just so they could use EF mount Canon and Zeiss glass. Canon makes too much money in the cinema world for the EF mount to go away anytime soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's been months since I posted on CR so hello and here's my take.

Canon have a firecracker there and with the new 50, 35 and 28-70 being R specific, a reason for many to buy this camera. That you can fit existing ef lenses on even more of a reason and as it's not what I consider full pro spec, a price point to draw people in if only to test it out.

This thing will sell like absolute hot cakes and is a superbly easy access point for Canon users to test mirrorless out in anticipation of a dual slotted pro body in 6 months time when I would imagine a 24-70 R, 70-200 F4 R, 85 1.4 AND 1.8 R are launched to complete the system.

Canon just drew a line in the sand, dug a moat and put up a 10 foot wall to make a point.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

herion

Seven stars, seven stones and one white tree
Jul 30, 2018
No. Not going to happen. RF lenses resolve to a shorter flange distance.

I'm just not buying any fatalistic takes on EF. EF is not going anywhere! Canon is just launching this new mount and will take a decade to get it where it needs to be to stand alone from EF. Over that time, Canon will continue to refresh EF glass.

- A

Optically, I think it *IS* possible. Think of corrective lenses for someone that is nearsighted - their focus is ahead of the retina, so lenses are used to "pull" the focus back to where it should be. Sort of like a neutral speedbooster....

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ever used it?

I have. Completely overrated and unnecessary - just another example of a pointless gimmick that serves no actual useful purpose.

I actually use that feature every day -- taking photos with my cell phone, which can do this. A D5500-level camera has this for Nikon. I want this feature regardless of how little you personally value it.

And Canon would agree that it's desirable. Only 1-series cameras are given this functionality. So in that light, I understand why they've withheld it with the EOS R.

- A

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Btw I wouldn‘t expect L lenses to be focus by wire as some are fearing they might be...
At least that‘s my hope. Why should „all“ new lenses for the RF-Mount be like that? :)

Sounds like the future lenses for all MILCs will FBW. Started with Sony, Nikon and now Canon all going that way I do not have any hope the old focus distance scale will come back. Today I use that extensively for macro shots and when I have hard time getting focus with a lens I just look at the scale to make sure I am not closer than the MFD ans also to get an idea where it is focusing roughly and override the AF. The first reason is something i would consider a must at this point but if there is enough technology to fill the void I will move on. Even otherwise do I have a choice? :rolleyes: The second item is more of a convenience to see where the lens is roughly focusing at. I am sure I will miss it but I guess can live without it

Upvote 0
Doesn't this means that we are talking here about 10bit 4:2:2 video???
Comparing to Panasonic GH5 which has 400Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit ALL-I), I guess this should also be 10bit 4:2:2. If so, quite impressive because even rival brands (e.g. Panasonic, Sony) and pro Cinema cameras (e.g. C200, XF400) don't have and cannot match this.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I actually use that feature every day -- taking photos with my cell phone, which can do this. A D5500-level camera has this for Nikon. I want this feature regardless of how little you personally value it.

And Canon would agree that it's desirable. Only 1-series cameras are given this functionality. So in that light, I understand why they've withheld it with the EOS R.

- A

Good to know you have a second item that you want and Canon would not give that :p

Upvote 0
Could anybody explain what's the hype about the lack of 1080@120? Are people really using it so widely?

B-roll mostly. It's a thing now, because competitive models have it. The same way 4K@120 will be a big deal in a few more years, this has just become relevant because of competitive pressures.

TBH, I'm quite happy with 1080@60 and 4K is a novelty for me, so it's just gravy. However, for folks that do video more seriously, this is definitely a differentiator.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Comparing to Panasonic GH5 which has 400Mbps (4:2:2 10-bit ALL-I), I guess this should also be 10bit 4:2:2. If so, quite impressive because even rival brands (e.g. Panasonic, Sony) and pro Cinema cameras (e.g. C200, XF400) don't have and cannot match this.

Hence the crop to compensate or to "protect" the cinema cameras? :) I guess the full frame 4k (with obvious aspect ratio crop) with DPAF along with over sampling with 4:2:0 8 bit would be a better choice

Upvote 0
I've been
30 years or so ago, I bought a Leatherman multi-tool for camping. Several friends had bought similar pocket tools. I was proud of how my tool had just the tools I actually might need. One friend was quick to point out that mine didn't have a cork-screw. "I don't drink wine." was my response. For weeks though, whenever the subject of these tools came up, my friend would point out to everyone "Ken's doesn't even have a cork-screw."

I came to realize some people buy things solely for bragging rights. I can't relate.

p.s. My friend didn't drink wine either. :ROFLMAO:

I've been carrying Leatherman's for 30 or more years now also, the last thing I'd ever use it for is to pull a cork out of a wine bottle.....it's my work tool not my wine tasting tool ! LOL ;)

Yet many look for and only see a tools weaknesses rather than its strengths.....many look at cameras the same way too.

I prefer my DSLR's and I have no interests what so ever going mirrorless but this new camera sounds like a great tool if they keep it under 2500 bucks. It does NOT sound like Canons FF Mirrorless PRO Flagship Camera by any means and I'm sure they will spring that model soon as well (after they make some bucks off this debut edition).

My guess is this EOS R is the a7iii competitor so to speak and I believe by what's been leaked so far it may top that Sony for many just for having the flip screen, face tracking, and DPAF alone.

My other guess is that Canon will be leading the FF Mirrorless market within the next 24 months......

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Could anybody explain what's the hype about the lack of 1080@120? Are people really using it so widely?
That is exactly my question. 1080@120p may be used for adding effects (slow motion of ducks in a pond, etc.) but does not contribute to better quality video, so what is the hype?

Upvote 0
Has Dual Pixel RAW been improved in terms of focus depth? I guess this would go hand-in-hand with a revision to the DPAF architecture if it's true. DP RAW that can move the plane of sharp focus forward or backward up to a distance of 10-15mm would be a massive improvement. A lot of portrait, fashion, and beauty photographers would kill for such a feature.

This is a good question, and yes I would kill for that. I personally care less of the eye focus that everyone seems to think is needed. I've used it, it's fine for what it is, but it's not something I would use because of the limitations.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The spec sheet seems to say the -6 EV was measured under certain conditions which included the use of an f/1.2 lens, but where are you getting the part about having to use an f/1.2 lens to get -6 EV? I haven't read all the info about the EOS R in detail so you may be right, but it's not how I read the spec sheet.

Neuro is our AF expert and I'd imagine he'd have something to say about Fullstop's comment. :rolleyes:

I believe EOS R's AF system will function very well in low light, but Canon appears to have pulled a marketing fast one here -- but just a bit. I've seen sensitivity claims made with everything from f/1.4 to f/2.8 lenses, but here they have indeed made the claim based on a f/1.2 lens.

But I don't believe the statement:

EV -6 to 18 (f/1.2, at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100, One-Shot AF)​

Means that the AF sensitivity wheels come off the bus if you are not shooting an f/1.2 lens. I believe it gradually steps down with lens speed. Again, I await Neuro's take on this.

But in full fairness to Fullstop, it would appear that even if the focusing works in a dark cave as advertised, we're shooting in M if we do. His metering catch is a good one.

- A

Upvote 0
B-roll mostly. It's a thing now, because competitive models have it. The same way 4K@120 will be a big deal in a few more years, this has just become relevant because of competitive pressures.

TBH, I'm quite happy with 1080@60 and 4K is a novelty for me, so it's just gravy. However, for folks that do video more seriously, this is definitely a differentiator.
B-roll for vlogs? I'm not really into video processing and I don't care much about video features. I realise it's for slowing 4x down? That is, many people so desperately want 4x slowdown instead of just 2x that they won't buy an otherwise suitable camera?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon's FTZ adaptor is $249 (I believe). They sell three kits: body only / body + adaptor / body + adaptor + lens
Mic jack? Headphone?
All I see is 'Extension System Terminal'

canon_7.jpg

Looks like a headphone flap to me -- bottom left of the body above.

- A

Upvote 0