Here are the full Canon EOS R specifications

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I use a 7rIII. Flaws include, but are not limited to:
*It’s too short by about 1/2”
*The controls, while immeasurably better than the previous generation, are laggy (trying to quickly dial a different aperture/shutterspeed/ISO is frustrating compared to the experience with canon cameras
*Struggles to track focus out of plane, and in low light

I disagree with the previous comment about battery life. I can easily shoot all day with maybe 1.25 batteries (I use the grip)

I agree there is no space for pinky on the Sony bodies and I also use grip but I can live with that.
On the controls if you are truly interested I will get you the way I have set that up in my a7r3. I do not feel any lacking when compared to 5D4
If you are comparing AF in low light with a DSLR it lacks a tiny bit but that was in my lab type setting. I am yet to come across a practical scenario where a7r3 would not focus in the last 7 months I have been using it. Even if it is to me the Pros out weigh the cons of a7r3 and a9. Don't get me wrong I did not liked Sony's until their 3rd gens came out. I do not consider their first gen and second gen are competitive but the 3rd gen changed it all.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Not everyone else, please try not to generalize the entire world

color I have no problem with my a9 and a7r3
Battery life the a9, a7r3 and a73 may even beat the upcoming Canon. Sounds for sure from the specs. Sounds like you slept probably 18 months ago and still dreaming. Wake up world has changed add have new exciting technologies ;)
Overheating When was the last time you heard the a9, a7r3 and a73 over heated? While I do not shoot 4k regularly I have shot videos up to 29 minutes on both a9 and a7r3 never had over heating issue
Build quality, yes their weather sealing in not on par with CaNikon but otherwise not that bad
Prefer Canon glass that is your personal preferance that does not mean Sony lenses are bad. Infact I prefer using a7r3, a9 and GM 100-400 combo because i get better sharp picture out of sony combo over 5D4 EF 100-400 v2 combo almost every single time.

all in all your complaints sound like a Canon fan boy and nothign more than that.

I second Drama's list - especially color! and build quality - and add ergonomics.
Still there is nothing "wrong" with Sony cams and everyone should use the tool that works best with the features most relevant to him/here.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that a7r3, a9 + GM 100-400 can outperform a 5D4 EF 100-400 v2 by a relevant margin (or actually at all). What type of fotography are we talking about? It may be user error (no offense intended - just listing potential issues), AFMA, or if it is neither, I'd have that combo checked by CPS.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Just curious what are the flaws you found with a9? Have you used one? I have one and I like it everyway better than 5D4. The only thing limits me on the Sony eco system is the long tele lenses but my EF 600 f/4L IS USM works well with Sigma MC-11 granted I use the 600mm on my 5D4 more than a9 at this point.

Never shot it myself, but a 5 fps max mechanical shutter in a 20 fps camera seemed to tell me that Sony wanted more to show that such a 24x20 camera was possible rather than ready for primetime.

They also had some e-shutter color banding problems, did they not?

I see that camera as a showhorse and not a workhorse like the A7 III / A7R III appear to be. A9 is a shot across the bow that a mirrorless rig could someday supplant even the highest end SLRs, i.e. 'Look out Canon, we'll be putting more piranhas in the water like this before too long'. I see it as a symbolic product offering much more than future pillar of the platform.

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
I agree there is no space for pinky on the Sony bodies and I also use grip but I can live with that.
On the controls if you are truly interested I will get you the way I have set that up in my a7r3. I do not feel any lacking when compared to 5D4
If you are comparing AF in low light with a DSLR it lacks a tiny bit but that was in my lab type setting. I am yet to come across a practical scenario where a7r3 would not focus in the last 7 months I have been using it. Even if it is to me the Pros out weigh the cons of a7r3 and a9. Don't get me wrong I did not liked Sony's until their 3rd gens came out. I do not consider their first gen and second gen are competitive but the 3rd gen changed it all.

I have aperture on the top rear dial, shutter speed in the top front dial, and ISO on the wheel. It’s the wheel specifically which I find laggy.

I often shoot flash photography without modeling lamps, and find the camera struggles much more so than my 5Diii. It’s much better than the 7rii, however.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

I eagerly await L-R finger space measurements with a (pick any stout pro lens) mounted on the A7 / Z / R platforms.

This should never happen in a camera (taken from TDP). This is a failure of design that Sony continues to resist fixing (either for cost or for a diehard commitment to keeping things small):

Sony-24-70mm-GM-Lens-Grip.jpg

Just to my eye (we need to get one and try it) Canon appears to have left more room between the mount and the grip. If so, that's very wise call.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Claims on AF points in mirrorless are like when Nikon claimed ISO 3+ million on the D5. We'll never select all these AF points. Potentially, some 'fidelity of AF' related algorithms (Eye AF, I'm looking at you, also potentially automated-in-camera auto focus stacking algorithm down the road) this could matter, but it's possible Eye AF is decoupled from discrete AF point selection already.

I fully expect Sony to make an even more idiotic claims with the a7 IV bodies in response -- 500,000 AF point cameras are coming. Sony will not be out-spec-sheeted -- this is their #1 entrenched platform strength. :rolleyes:
I am not sure they do have so many PDAF sensors.

Ability to get a histo in the EVF = surely
I would prefer ability to get a histo in the OVF. It is possible, and would be the best of both worlds.

Prefer Canon glass that is your personal preferance that does not mean Sony lenses are bad. Infact I prefer using a7r3, a9 and GM 100-400 combo because i get better sharp picture out of sony combo over 5D4 EF 100-400 v2 combo almost every single time.
By the way, how do you carry 100-400 on a camera body when not shooting? I just hold camera with fingers by the grip and let the rest of the hand relax. It is more comfortable than on the neck strap, and I can carry it this way for hours.

Does it work with Sony bodies?

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Love how the mirrorless value proposition is defined by such a narrow set of musts -- many of which weren't even considerations until Sony started offering them. :rolleyes:

So I've got a few more reasons to go mirrorless, and Canon (and Nikon) will nail these:

Ability to shoot without mirror slap = yes​
Ability to get a histo in the EVF = surely​
Ability to show stopped down DOF in the EVF = surely​
Ability to amplify light in the VF in dark rooms = not listed on the sheet, but surely this is possible​
Ability to manually focus in the EVF in the era of focusing screens dying off = sure​
Ability to adapt other lenses = surely, but not immediately at launch (need 3rd party to help)​
Ability to use the glass I already own = surely​

For those reasons, the idea that EOS R or Z6/Z7 is a fail b/c of some vital feature or two being missing is nuts. These cameras will work well, sell well, and flourish (provided there's not a day one quality disaster on their hands, adaptors work as intended, etc.).

Remeber, this first gen isn't aimed at accomplishing parity with Sony, stealing immense market share or allowing Canon/Nikon folks to be 'proud of their company like they used to'. Their goal is to sell their own people something that looks / feels familiar, unlocks the opportunity to pitch the mirror and get smaller, etc. I think both will largely succeed at that goal.

- A
How do you know Canon's aim and goals with this camera? Stop the lecture.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014
By the way, how do you carry 100-400 on a camera body when not shooting? I just hold camera with fingers by the grip and let the rest of the hand relax. It is more comfortable than on the neck strap, and I can carry it this way for hours.

Does it work with Sony bodies?

Not without the vertical grip.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
How do you know Canon's aim and goals with this camera? Stop the lecture.

Because Canon is a broken record on its goals. Canon wants to be profitable and (at least in FF mirrorless) selling to its existing customers is far and away the easiest way to do that in the near term. Is that even a debate? If so, let's discuss. :)

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I have aperture on the top rear dial, shutter speed in the top front dial, and ISO on the wheel. It’s the wheel specifically which I find laggy.

I often shoot flash photography without modeling lamps, and find the camera struggles much more so than my 5Diii. It’s much better than the 7rii, however.

This is exactly my scenario and experience. In addition, the wired and wireless tethering and remote shooting to a PC on the A7R3 is much inferior to the tools that Canon offers. The tools for tethering to an Android tablet on a Canon are much better too, but it's an academic point to me as I always tether to a PC.

Not without the vertical grip.

Yes, exactly. On Canon DSLR body -- pick any -- you can mount a 100-400 and the camera can just rest with your fingers on the grip. On a Sony 7/9, you need the vertical grip for this. In general, the vertical grip is just fine, as the camera is diminutive anyways. However, it raises lens mount, such that the camera no longer rests nicely on a table, unless you put it down sideways. It would have been much nicer for Sony to have just made the 7/9 at least a half inch taller, as I don't think there are many adults that wouldn't find the grip too short.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Its not impossible to make a *good* focus by wire. After all, cars are now steered by wire and airplanes flown by wire... Just my thoughts.

Airplanes by wire... a reason why Air France Flight 447 crashed over the Atlantic, because the captain didn‘t realise that his second officer was still in command of the rudder and continuously stalling the plane although he told him to give rudder control to him. In my eyes it‘s a mistake by Airbus and concerning lenses:
Lenses are not only a tool but also something magnificient and „emotional“ (for me as a hobbyist at least). That just goes better with a premium-feel mechanical lens without electronics that solely drive and steer the focus system without the possibility for manual focus. As I said, that‘s my feel. I like to drive the focus also when I have the lens disconnected from a camera for example...
For example we already used standard Nikon lenses built in in scientific setups without a camera but only socketed to a c mount adapter on a completely different camera that would otherwise not be possible to focus.

Upvote 0
This is exactly my scenario and experience. In addition, the wired and wireless tethering and remote shooting to a PC on the A7R3 is much inferior to the tools that Canon offers. The tools for tethering to an Android tablet on a Canon are much better too, but it's an academic point to me as I always tether to a PC.

Yes, exactly. On Canon DSLR body -- pick any -- you can mount a 100-400 and the camera can just rest with your fingers on the grip. On a Sony 7/9, you need the vertical grip for this. In general, the vertical grip is just fine, as the camera is diminutive anyways. However, it raises lens mount, such that the camera no longer rests nicely on a table, unless you put it down sideways. It would have been much nicer for Sony to have just made the 7/9 at least a half inch taller, as I don't think there are many adults that wouldn't find the grip too short.

I carry my Sigma 150-600 by the grip alone on my 80D while casually walking around......the 80D grip can handle it. If I'm trudgin through the woods or walking through rough stuff I'll carry it by the tripod collar. Canon's DSLR's are built tough!!!!!

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I eagerly await L-R finger space measurements with a (pick any stout pro lens) mounted on the A7 / Z / R platforms.

This should never happen in a camera (taken from TDP). This is a failure of design that Sony continues to resist fixing (either for cost or for a diehard commitment to keeping things small):

Just to my eye (we need to get one and try it) Canon appears to have left more room between the mount and the grip. If so, that's very wise call.

- A

Agreed on ergonomics, Sony need to improve. Speaking of this specific problem, my fingers fits in and not rubbing the lens but they are so close. I am not saying since this is not a problem for me no one else should have a problem with it. To be fair I do not own the 24-70 f/2.8 GM lens. I had the Canon EF 24-70 f/28L II until last month. I got rid of it because I am in the process of getting rid of some of the Canon stuff. I applaud Canon for not doing this mistake, in general Canon is great from a ergonomics perspecitve. Sony continues to address the feedback they get from the users. On that regard I will bet more on Sony will change this in their next iteration than what I can bet on Canon will implement good 4k video specs on the next generation of cameras. In Canon's case the corporate greed and arrogance takes lead over delivering what customers want. I am not saying other corporates are not greedy (in my books all corporates are greedy) but some at least listen to feedback. Canon's case absolutely no.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016

I have the shutter speed on the rear dial and the aperture on the front dial and ISO on the control wheel like you. However I do not find the ISO wheel lagging. I have taken 6742 photos on a7r3 as of this morning :) Not to brag just to give you an idea how much I have used it. That tells me either it is really lagging but not to the level that bothers me or copy to copy variance or a firmware issue. I am using firmware 1.10 you might want to check yours.

Upvote 0

jasonkayla2

Canon 5D Mark iv, 7D Mark II
Jan 18, 2017
Bronx, NY
Hi,
IMHO, IBIS doesn't always work well in all lens especially the longer focal length lens.... that's why Sony longer focal length lens also have optical image stabilizer in them. Also, if your camera IBIS stuck or fail, all your lens loss image stabilization.

Have a nice day.

PS: Still waiting for 7D3, but will it become 7DR3 (sound like something in star wars :p )???

Your right, but it is still better to have it than not. More important to me is the 5fps in servo mode. I am big into bird in flight photography and other fast moving subjects. I will probably wait for their other model presumably pro model to come out. Hopefully it will have higher specs/FPS.
In general, this new camera will probably work great, just not what I want in specs. My 5D mark iv has better FPS and so does my 7D2. Again agree with you....wait for the 7D3.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I might be finally jumping ship as well. But I've waited a long time at this point and will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt and wait for independent reviews.. and the full release so we can know the official 100% spec list.

The last wait cycle for me was long too. Then they released the 6DII :(

Doesn't seem all the wishful thinking and waiting will ever get us the features we want. Canon can sell camera's with no shutter button and people will still buy them. They have no incentive to deliver.

It's time. I moved on. I just regret not doing it sooner.

Upvote 0
I'm totally cool with there being no IBIS—I want to see my sensor bolted down; let the lenses do what they do specific to each. But the single card slot isn't so cool. Maybe this is a 6D equivilant and a future 5D equivalent will be more like 50mp and have two slots….

And maybe there will be a less exotic 28-70 at 2.8 and a few pounds more compact. 95mm filters?! Yikes!

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I second Drama's list - especially color! and build quality - and add ergonomics.
Still there is nothing "wrong" with Sony cams and everyone should use the tool that works best with the features most relevant to him/here.

On the other hand, I have a hard time believing that a7r3, a9 + GM 100-400 can outperform a 5D4 EF 100-400 v2 by a relevant margin (or actually at all). What type of fotography are we talking about? It may be user error (no offense intended - just listing potential issues), AFMA, or if it is neither, I'd have that combo checked by CPS.

I use it for birding. I do AFMA in all my lenses that I use on 5D4 I believe the difference I see are 1) no AA filter, gets more detail and sharpness 2) it is 42mp I can get a bigger size image after cropping 3) slighly better shadow recovery. I am not proclaiming this is how everyone should feel but saying how I feel about the results. At the end of the day just go with the gear that gets the best results to your eyes and makes you happy. Especially in my case I am an enthusiast. I look at my results from either tool and to me I get better out of the Sony. Some might Say Canon has 50mp 5DsR with AA filter cancelling. I rented it for a week and tried I could not stand the noise.

Upvote 0